Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HOT AND FAST BABY BACKS

A couple weeks ago I used the hot and fast method on baby back ribs, turned out way better than I expected. So I did it again today, I think probably the best baby backs I’ve ever made. I’m never doing long and slow baby back‘s again. My ribs were done in less than three hours and were delicious. Anyone else doing this?

Had my smoker on ~ 310 degrees. Left them there without touching them until I seen first sign of pull back which was a little bit less than two hours. No spritz no nothing. I debated whether or not to wrap them but decided to wrap them. All I put in the wrap was three pads of butter on each rack and maybe a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Put them back on the smoker for about 45 minutes. Un wrapped them and left the foil like a boat and sauced them, let them sit for 15 minutes to set up, they were awesome! I’ve been doing low and slow for over 10 years, I’m done with that method.

2. Member
    I have been smoking St. Louis ribs hot and fast lately. 300 for 3 hours tops, no wrap. As good as any I've had.

how's 50 minutes sound! Hot and Fast. I cook mine on a Weber gas grill, I rub them down and cook at 375 turning every 5 minutes and keep the lid closed. Done in 50 minutes!
    Last edited by elozzi; 08-15-2022 at 05:55 AM.
    Nitro Z-7 2013
    Mercury ProXS 150

4. Moderator
    Low and slow is good but hot and fast is good also.

5. Member
    Wow, thanks for the info. I just bought a couple racks and been debating what process to try with my new pellet grill. I may have to give this a try!

6. Scraps
    Gonna try this, bin doing 3-2-1 and it is time consuming.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Gonna try this, bin doing 3-2-1 and it is time consuming.
    I don’t think you will regret it, I think they taste way better this way. For some reason they seem to hold the flavor of the smoke and the rub better. The 321 always seem to overcook them for me, try this I think you’re gonna like it!

8. Fishing is a Passion
    Low and slow, start your ribs an hour earlier, Cook in 4 instead of 3hrs
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    Low and slow, start your ribs an hour earlier, Cook in 4 instead of 3hrs
    i’ve been low and slow for 10 years, I like the results of hot and fast much better - I’m done with low and slow on ribs.

If you didn't see BBQ USA last night, the team that won did a whole hog in 8 hours
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

11. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    If you didn't see BBQ USA last night, the team that won did a whole hog in 8 hours
    Yes I did, they built a giant 500 gal drum smoker and whipped everyone. Don’t be surprised if you see dozens of those smokers in a couple years.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

12. Member
    Tried some this weekend! Mine were very very good, but pretty dried out. It's only the second thing I've done on my pellet grill though, so I'm still learning for sure.

I loved the reduced time! All day cooks for me are tough with a 2 year old. Now I want to try low and slow and see which one is better!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    Tried some this weekend! Mine were very very good, but pretty dried out. It's only the second thing I've done on my pellet grill though, so I'm still learning for sure.

I loved the reduced time! All day cooks for me are tough with a 2 year old. Now I want to try low and slow and see which one is better!
    Don’t give up, just need to tweak it a little bit because they should not have been dry unless they were over cooked. Do a couple YouTube searches, It may take you a time or two to zero in with your cooker. Good luck.

14. Member
    I for sure overcooked them. The pellet grill is an entire different deal than my 20$ road side special (which kicked out some delicious BBQ!!)

Couple more or 10 cooks, I'll get it figured out.

I tried a rack of Baby backs on a rotisserie spit on my charcoal Webber.....went to check on them at the one hour mark and thought I had ruined them. They were pulled way back on the bone and almost black. I wrapped them and put them in the cooler for a couple of hours and they were some of the most tender and best baby backs I have ever had

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton19x2 View Post
    I tried a rack of Baby backs on a rotisserie spit on my charcoal Webber.....went to check on them at the one hour mark and thought I had ruined them. They were pulled way back on the bone and almost black. I wrapped them and put them in the cooler for a couple of hours and they were some of the most tender and best baby backs I have ever had
    lol- I think this is the way many people find out about hot and fast. I think wrapping them can make a big difference, the key is every grill is different, you just have to keep an eye on them not to overcook them.

I definitely prefer the hot and fast method on my Kamado Joe
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

18. Member
    I am the local baby back guy. Wife was away a neighbor invited me for dinner - baby back ribs. Hey I'll cook those. She brought them out and I am like these look like they are off a brontosaurus was my first though. I buy 3.5# and down slabs. Hers' took double my general cook time. The meat is where this process starts and ends. To compare cook times with out knowing more is pointless. They are ready to sauce when they break when lifted by an end no wrap.

Either method is fine. I’m doing low and slow (230-235) today on 3 racks of BB, some boudin, and a Salmon fillet I’ll lightly smoke when I shut down the BGE to let it start cooling down after the main cook.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    I have been smoking St. Louis ribs hot and fast lately. 300 for 3 hours tops, no wrap. As good as any I've had.
    About to try this. I’m doing St Louis on the grill. The GF is doing BB in the oven her way. We have a bet going on who’s ribs are better. 99.999% her’s will win.

EDIT: Screw the smartass . She won fair and square. (Dammit). I had to concede but I’m guessing that I’ll never hear the end of this.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 09-29-2022 at 08:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast