Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best smallmouth lakes?

Coming from Conroe Texas and looking to put my buddy on some big quality smallies. He has never caught one so we decided to make a trip east. Was planning on Dale Hollow and then hitting Chickamauga a couple days. We are headed that way February maybe first week in March. Any info would be appreciated! It's a long drive but the closest I found that could have potential.
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Dale Hollow is a good choice.

Shoot me a PM, I can put you on some fish if you can tell me some about Ivie....

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22RangerZ520R View Post

Shoot me a PM, I can put you on some fish if you can tell me some about Ivie....
    Will do! Thank you. As far as Ivie…. A-Rig A-Rig and did I mention A-Rig. ��
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite

4. Member
    If you are visiting Chick, spend a day or two below the dam. There are some quality Small mouth swimming in the river.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gray7340 View Post
    If you are visiting Chick, spend a day or two below the dam. There are some quality Small mouth swimming in the river.
    Thank you. I’ve heard good things about Wilson too. Same deal around the dam.
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite

Wilson and Pickwick are both better this time of year now come November till about March Dale Hollow all the way. Fish are easier to catch on Wilsonand Pickwick too. Dale Hollow fishes like no other lake I have fished any where in the country. Can be very humbling at times.
    Last edited by Imavol; 08-17-2022 at 09:11 AM.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

7. Member
    Thanks for all the info!! Got some time to think and prepare.
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Imavol View Post
    Wilson and Pickwick are both better this time of year now come November till about March Dale Hollow all the way. Fish are easier to catch on Wilsonand Pickwick too. Dale Hollow fishes like no other lake I have fished any where in the country. Can be very humbling at times.
    Humbling??
    That lake pretty much had me thinking about taking up another hobby!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    Humbling??
    That lake pretty much had me thinking about taking up another hobby!
    Oh no don't say that! LOL I've already contemplated taking up another hobby a couple times.
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gray7340 View Post
    Agree on Nickajack (what it is below Chick dam). A word of caution, if you go between the railroad bridge and the dam itself, be sure to wear a life jacket to avoid a ticket, and most importantly, there is a huge rock pile just under the surface. If current is being generated, it is hidden and can do lots of damage.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22RangerZ520R View Post

What time of year? I went this May and fished it for a week and only caught 1 Smallmouth and maybe 9-10 Largemouth the whole time I was there. One of the worst lakes I have ever fished in May.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Agree on Nickajack (what it is below Chick dam). A word of caution, if you go between the railroad bridge and the dam itself, be sure to wear a life jacket to avoid a ticket, and most importantly, there is a huge rock pile just under the surface. If current is being generated, it is hidden and can do lots of damage.
    We are planning two days on chick to target some big largemouth hopefully. Thanks for the info about the rock pile!!
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickstanislaus View Post
    We are planning two days on chick to target some big largemouth hopefully. Thanks for the info about the rock pile!!
    If you are here for 2 days, I would suggest booking a guide for the first half of your first day. It will be money well spent. Lots of good guides on Chick. FB is the best place to find them. Cole Sands is one of the best. He fishes the BASS Opens.

14. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    What time of year? I went this May and fished it for a week and only caught 1 Smallmouth and maybe 9-10 Largemouth the whole time I was there. One of the worst lakes I have ever fished in May.
    The OP said February, maybe March...

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickstanislaus View Post
    Coming from Conroe Texas and looking to put my buddy on some big quality smallies. He has never caught one so we decided to make a trip east. Was planning on Dale Hollow and then hitting Chickamauga a couple days. We are headed that way February maybe first week in March. Any info would be appreciated! It's a long drive but the closest I found that could have potential.
    My brother lives on Conroe. Would be happy to exchange information on Dale Hollow & Cherokee.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    My brother lives on Conroe. Would be happy to exchange information on Dale Hollow & Cherokee.
    Sent you a PM a couple days ago. Thanks for the offer to help.
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite

17. Member
    After fishing Dale Hollow for a couple days I thought about taking up knitting .

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wwc3 View Post
    After fishing Dale Hollow for a couple days I thought about taking up knitting .
    LOL it certainly didn't live up to the hype for me. Fished it for 6 days and only caught 5 keeper size largemouth, only caught one smallmouth the whole time and it was only 12", fished a couple days without catching anything.

19. Banned
    I can only tell you from personal experience, if I were wanting to go smallmouth fishing, east tennessee would be the LAST place I would go. have fished a lot of those lakes and other than during the spawn they all suck as far as I am concerned. There are those that get them dialed in during the winter but any other time it's like pulling teeth to get smallmouth to bite. The west tennesee/alabama lakes are probably much better. But if i were coming to tennessee I would keep right on driving and go to michigan, or up state new york. you will catch more in 15 minutes than you will in a week's time in tennessee I can almost guarantee it.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    LOL it certainly didn't live up to the hype for me. Fished it for 6 days and only caught 5 keeper size largemouth, only caught one smallmouth the whole time and it was only 12", fished a couple days without catching anything.
    Social media pretty much destroyed Dale Hollow!!! Its not a 1\4 as good as it used to be.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast