RX100 VII or GoPro 8/9/10

So, after realize I suck at taking selfies after a recent nice catch, I have been thinking about putting a camera in the boat. Something I can mount at the rear and just run on a loop recording video, similar to something like Ken Smith does. Not so much for posting videos, just for personal use, showing friends, selfie/fish catch pics, etc. Voice commands would be nice, so that I don't have to fiddle with turning camera on, taking picture etc while trying to hold a fish in frame for a decent shot, etc. Other than that just your typical action cam I guess - 1080K, ability to accept external power, external mic (is it needed?), looping, and voice commands are guess are the things I am looking for.

I currently own the excellent Sony RX100 VII with an external mic, and while I'm sure I could use it for above I'm not sure how waterproof/resistant is is, and it does not do voice control, and it doesn't really do looping that I can see.

So looking at GoPros of course. 10 is newest, but is probably more camera than I need, so looking at some of the older models to save some money ie the 8/9. Both meet all criteria above - 9 a bit larger, larger battery/longer runtime on battery, has improved screen/framing screen which would be beneficial I would think. But see lots of posts on overheating, esp on the 8. Being in Florida, that will be an issue for me.

Anyway, GoPro users - school me on the recent options please :) Any reason to choose the 8 vs the 9 or vice versa? Or a different model altogether?
    Last edited by 78Staff; 08-17-2022 at 12:35 AM.