Barrel dia... larger or smaller for accuracy

Fooling with my 6.5 and .308 barrels. Had not really thought about it much but after some measuring my 6.5 is a bit smaller in dia than my .308 barrel. ( around .1)

What are your thoughts on accuracy. Would you prefer a larger "bull" barrel knowing you arent lugging it around to hunt. Its strictly punching targets. Or would a .100 difference not be noticeable? Or heck go even larger than .9

Random thoughts from a rookie who likes to over analyze and take stuff apart.

Many thanks.

2. Member
    Beings as one has a .308" hole down the middle and the other has a .264" hole down the middle there aint a lot of difference between the two. But there is a reason most target rifles have very large diameter barrels. In this case bigger is normally better.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    Beings as one has a .308" hole down the middle and the other has a .264" hole down the middle there aint a lot of difference between the two. But there is a reason most target rifles have very large diameter barrels. In this case bigger is normally better.
    yeah thats what I was thinking. Plus to be honest I enjoy heavier rifles. Keep in mind im not lugging them through the woods.

If all other factors are equal a thicker stiffer barrel will likely be more accurate, if nothing else because they are much slower to heat up. My current interests are leading me toward heavier but shorter barrels

5. Member
    Thicker moves less during firing so its infintescmillay more accurate. There’s a pile of things you could do that would affectaccuracy more than barrel thickness for one shot. However, the heavier barrel will change poi less as it heats up and will heat up slower, that can make a bigger difference quickly. Also, the simple weight makes it far easier to hold it steady while aiming and under recoil. As long as the weight isnt a problem a thicker barrel doesnt really have any disadvantages.
    Either way, 0.1 isnt enough to matter really. Go to one of the barrel makers websites—bartlein or mcgowan, etc—and look at the difference between a sporter barrel and an mtu barrel.

6. Member
    I have found the faster the repetitive shots, the more a barrel will move. All my auto's have bull barrels and magna ports. Bolts have target barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    If all other factors are equal a thicker stiffer barrel will likely be more accurate, if nothing else because they are much slower to heat up. My current interests are leading me toward heavier but shorter barrels
    ^^^

This. There are a lot of great barrel manufacturers that can build an insanely accurate sporter weight barrel. Just depends on what your expectations are and how much $$ you want to spend. Chasing accuracy is an incremental game. Getting from 1 MOA to 1/2 MOA may be cheap and easy. Going from 1/2 MOA to 1/4 MOA can be $$$$. Going from 1/4 MOA to 1/8 MOA may be enough to drive you insane.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    ^^^

This. There are a lot of great barrel manufacturers that can build an insanely accurate sporter weight barrel. Just depends on what your expectations are and how much $$ you want to spend. Chasing accuracy is an incremental game. Getting from 1 MOA to 1/2 MOA may be cheap and easy. Going from 1/2 MOA to 1/4 MOA can be $$$$. Going from 1/4 MOA to 1/8 MOA may be enough to drive you insane.
    Reminds me sooo much of drag racing.

9. Member
    I like them as thin as they will make them because I have to carry them. I got one rifle that is only good for 2 shots and the it starts vertically stringing without a long cool down.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I like them as thin as they will make them because I have to carry them. I got one rifle that is only good for 2 shots and the it starts vertically stringing without a long cool down.
    Sounds like my kimber, doesnt bother me though, like you i carry it alot and shoot it a little!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Yeah i get the whole carry aspect. I wouldnt want to haul this pig around and its not even totally built or with as large of a barrel as I want.

There are many factors and barrel diameter is just one. A high quality custom barrel in a sporter contour is most likely a better shooter than a Remington varmint contour. In your case the difference isn’t likely to be the diameter of the barrels.

These guys touch on some great points…

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    There are many factors and barrel diameter is just one. A high quality custom barrel in a sporter contour is most likely a better shooter than a Remington varmint contour. In your case the difference isn’t likely to be the diameter of the barrels.

These guys touch on some great points…
    I watch his stuff. Good content.