Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where's is the water???

So, finally after a long drive I am at the River, and I stopped in at the TITS on the way cause it's on the way to the cottage. I hear something about the water being low, but I just scuff it off.
    Than comes the WTF moment when I get to the cottage cause some POS stole my water.
    From last month to today it has gone down at least a foot if it went down an in inch. They cannot be drawing it down already, so what the freak is going on?
    This sucks and I just put on my freshly B&B 26" Tempest+ so my butthole is puckuring up already.
    Hope for the best and pray that the Lord will take care of the rest 🙏

2. Member
    I noticed the low water level last Wednesday when I launched at the isthmus boat launch on Point Peninsula. That's already a shallow launch site with "normal" water levels, but is was awful skinny getting in and out of there.

My best guess is all the hot weather we've had lately, and the lack of rain. I'm seeing a LOT of brown grass all over the place. What little bit of rain we've had hasn't been enough to keep up with the heat. Our heat index was in the upper 90's for what seemed like two+ weeks.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they are starting to drain the water off already. Tomorrow might be my last fishing trip for the year on Lake Ontario.

3. Member
    My wife has Dr apt on August 25, so I will pull out next Sunday and go from there.
    Chippewa launch is getting skinny and Pier 95 is low already in Clayton

No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    These SOB's have to be the dumbest bastards on the face of the earth.
    This morning I was casting shoals that normally I fish over them.
    There is a shortcut between Bluff and Picton that only now is a shoal.

6. Member
    The masterminds at IJC will never admit how bad "Plan 2014" is for the residents and local businesses on Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence River.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre Fan View Post
    I noticed the low water level last Wednesday when I launched at the isthmus boat launch on Point Peninsula. That's already a shallow launch site with "normal" water levels, but is was awful skinny getting in and out of there.

My best guess is all the hot weather we've had lately, and the lack of rain. I'm seeing a LOT of brown grass all over the place. What little bit of rain we've had hasn't been enough to keep up with the heat. Our heat index was in the upper 90's for what seemed like two+ weeks.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they are starting to drain the water off already. Tomorrow might be my last fishing trip for the year on Lake Ontario.
    Sabre Fan
    Just curious on the water conditions at this ramp. I'm actually picking up my new boat on Saturday am and was planning on putting in here for the break-in and to do some fishing. Is the water too low here now??
    Thanks

8. Member
    Water is very warm. This morning it was 78 over 14 feet deep with channel near by

9. Member
    No idea why they would be drawing it down already cause it is plenty low already. I am going to pull it out Sunday and pulling it home.
    Summer is plenty short for us surely don't need this crap.

10. Member
    This is completely the opposite of their spring projection of high water, which probably led them to sale more power to NYC and Boston leaving us in the hole.
    So much for upstate tourism's economy.

11. Member
    I live on Lake of the Isles here in the river. The water is already at the low October level!!! I've been on the St. Lawrence my entire life and have never seen water levels as mis-managed as the last few years. The Long Sault Spillway and Iroquis Control Dam are the means to control the water levels in the 3 "Seaway" sections from Montreal to Lake Ontario. With all the data and forecasting available, that's obviously poor management by IJC. But they will just blame it the weather....
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

12. Member
    You are correct,, and this is been going on since the new water management plan put in place just about the same time this have been going sideways.
    The weather is been a tad on the dry side, but if you look at the prediction graphs I posted late spring showing high, it would have brought us at good level is not mismanaged.
    BTW, very nice Skeeter. I had 2001 with the OX66

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WOW View Post
    Sabre Fan
    Just curious on the water conditions at this ramp. I'm actually picking up my new boat on Saturday am and was planning on putting in here for the break-in and to do some fishing. Is the water too low here now??
    Thanks
    The water is low, but it's usable. The narrow outlet is real narrow now, so be careful when leaving and entering.

How big is your boat, and what kind is it? A shallow drafting boat shouldn't have any problems there. At least not yet, anyway...

14. Member
    The water is low, but it's usable. The narrow outlet is real narrow now, so be careful when leaving and entering.

How big is your boat, and what kind is it? A shallow drafting boat shouldn't have any problems there. At least not yet, anyway...
    Lund 1875 Pro V Sport with a 200 ProXS Merc 4-stroke. We just bought a cabin up from this ramp and was anxious to try it out. I was up about 4 weeks ago and it seemed like there was enough water, but it looks like the water level has dropped some.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    I live on Lake of the Isles here in the river. The water is already at the low October level!!! I've been on the St. Lawrence my entire life and have never seen water levels as mis-managed as the last few years. The Long Sault Spillway and Iroquis Control Dam are the means to control the water levels in the 3 "Seaway" sections from Montreal to Lake Ontario. With all the data and forecasting available, that's obviously poor management by IJC. But they will just blame it the weather....
    There is that, but water level control isn't just a simple on off switch. The fact we haven't had any rain other than a quick blow through storm this whole summer definitely has not helped the situation.

16. Member
    Lund 1875 Pro V Sport with a 200 ProXS Merc 4-stroke. We just bought a cabin up from this ramp and was anxious to try it out. I was up about 4 weeks ago and it seemed like there was enough water, but it looks like the water level has dropped some.
    I was there last Wednesday with my 22ft Crestliner Sabre, and it was deep enough for my boat. You should be fine with your Lund. Congrats on your new boat and your cabin!

17. Member
    I was there last Wednesday with my 22ft Crestliner Sabre, and it was deep enough for my boat. You should be fine with your Lund. Congrats on your new boat and your cabin!
    Thanks Sabre...maybe I will see you around there !

18. Member
    Thanks Sabre...maybe I will see you around there !
    Absolutely! With my boat needing a new motor, it probably won't be this year.

Have you done much fishing around that area? I've been fishing that part of the lake for 8 years now, chasing salmon, trout, walleye and bass.

Let us know how your maiden voyage goes, and best of luck!

19. Member
    Absolutely! With my boat needing a new motor, it probably won't be this year.

Have you done much fishing around that area? I've been fishing that part of the lake for 8 years now, chasing salmon, trout, walleye and bass.

Let us know how your maiden voyage goes, and best of luck!
    Thanks Sabre...I will let you know. I have spent a lot more time on the River than the lake. With the new cabin right around the corner from this ramp, I figure it's time to explore the lake. Have you checked Martin's Marine in Cape Vincent for your new outboard? I know they are a certified Merc dealer and they have been very good to work with. They came very highly recommended to me.

20. Member
    Thanks Sabre...I will let you know. I have spent a lot more time on the River than the lake. With the new cabin right around the corner from this ramp, I figure it's time to explore the lake. Have you checked Martin's Marine in Cape Vincent for your new outboard? I know they are a certified Merc dealer and they have been very good to work with. They came very highly recommended to me.
    Yes, I'm familiar with Martins. I'm working with Spicers in Clayton, who I've done business with for the last 7 years. They have a Merc 200 I might buy real soon. I'm putting a new Coosa Board transom in my boat before I have the new motor installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast