Interpreting Distance On This SI Screen Capture

In the attached image, approximately how far away from the transducer are the two schools of Stripers marked with the yellow arrows? Sometimes interpreting SI makes my head spin.

I was in 131 feet of water at the point the screen capture was taken.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Just put the view curser on the subject and you will get a readout of the distance and direction.
    You don't have the calculate anything.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Just put the view curser on the subject and you will get a readout of the distance and direction.
    You don't have the calculate anything.
    Wayne, that doesn't help me on this specific screen capture. I had a comment on a Fakebook post I did which included this image and a couple of others which I don't agree with but I wanted to see if I'm all wet.

Here is the posted comment... "Si is only scanning 125ish out in that picture, you dont count the water collumn, so the fish are only about a hundred to the left. Same goes for 360"
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member

Diagrams help sometimes ... I like diagrams ...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 08-15-2022 at 12:03 AM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Here is the posted comment... "Si is only scanning 125ish out in that picture, you dont count the water collumn, so the fish are only about a hundred to the left. Same goes for 360"
    Targets “a hundred to the left” (in 131ft depth) would show in the water column of the SI image ...

The displayed Range line values at the top of the SI image are “approximate slant range values to target” ... (approximate simply because SI cannot determine target depth out to the side of the boat) ...

Subtracting the water depth value from the SI image range value is not how “slant range to target” is calculated ...

Rules of thumb: (that sounds weird) ...
    *Targets displayed in the water column are CLOSER than the value of the water depth ...
    *Targets displayed over the bottom detail are FARTHER away than the value of the water depth ...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 08-15-2022 at 12:05 AM.

6. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    Targets “a hundred to the left” (in 131ft depth) would show in the water column of the SI image ...

The displayed Range line values at the top of the SI image are “approximate slant range values to target” ... (approximate simply because SI cannot determine target depth out to the side of the boat) ...

Subtracting the water depth value from the SI image range value is not how “slant range to target” is calculated ...

Rules of thumb: (that sounds weird) ...
    *Targets displayed in the water column are CLOSER than the value of the water depth ...
    *Targets displayed over the bottom detail are FARTHER away than the value of the water depth ...

Rickie
    Thanks all. I have definitely learned from everybody on this one.