Can’t Update Helix to run Mega Live Imaging

I’ve just installed a Mega Live Imaging transducer on my Ultrex and connected it directly into the back of my Helix 12 DI+ GPS G3 unit.

The instructions said to update the software to 2.280 first before updating to version 2.750. So I updated to 2.280 as it said Then I erased/formatted the same SD card and loaded it with version 2.750 but the Helix doesn’t even recognize the SD card is in the unit.

Anyone else have this issue? How can the unit recognize the card to upgrade to 2.280 but not 2.750.

Help, please!!!!!

The best way to keep from getting lost doing updates is to Format a memory card, start the unit up, put the card in the unit so it writes the Encrypt folder to the card (it automatically does that to an unlocked memory card). Remove the card and put the unit software on it, do the Restore Defaults, and insert the card. Wait for the pop-up message to do the update==answer YES and then NO to the abort pop-up message.

Also DISCONNECT Ethernet and remove any other memory cards.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne - I’ll give that a try.

Fingers crossed!

��������

4. Member
    I tried it exactly as you suggested, Wayne, with two different SD cards.

The Helix successfully encrypted both cards perfectly.

Then I downloaded the new update, restored defaults and removed all accessories but the Helix didn’t recognize either of the SD cards.

I am thinking the glitch has to be with the specific Humminbird update itself.

i even tried downloading it on my Microsoft PC and iMac PC..

Hmmm ….

Did you download the exact software for the exact unit you have==every letter and number in the model name matches the software download name?

What you posted as the unit model is incomplete==Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3N

Is the memory card/s 32 GB or LESS?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Yes, Wayne, it’s a Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA Di+ GPS G3 and it currently has version 2.280 on it. Trying to upload version 2.750 so I can use the MEGA Live Imaging transducer.

Tried a 32 GB card and a 16 GB.

i used the 32 GB card to upgrade the unit to version 2.280 first, as suggested on the HB site and it worked perfectly. But now I can’t finish by upgrading to 2.750 to use the transducer.
    Last edited by One Trick Pony; 08-13-2022 at 09:51 PM.

7. Member
    Wayne - see attached image.Attachment 498013

8. Member
    If I'm not mistaken there was 2.660 software version prior to 2.750 version. Maybe that's the problem 2.280 can't update to 2.750 before updating to 2.660...I just checked my files on my computer there is/was a 2.660 update.

There are two ways to do an update.
    1. The normal way is to start the unit up fully and do Restore Defaults then put the memory card in the unit.
    2. In some cases that doesn't work, so with the card still in the unit, turn it OFF and restart it. That may work.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    How crazy is this - yesterday I freshly formatted 3 different SD cards, then encrypted them using the Helix. Next, I downloaded the software on each one, turned on the Helix, restored defaults and tested each SD card. Nothing! Nada!

And then on what must have been the 30th — and last attempt — it worked. How crazy is that!?

i conversed with the HB technician this morning and she said the update is so large it could take 5 to 8 minutes for the Helix to respond after the SD card is inserted.

Good to know for the future!

Thanks folks for your help.

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Yeah, impatience can be a killer on these updates... all phases.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

12. Member
    I just went through this today and NOT waiting long enough ended up being my problem…

13. Member
    Did the same thing for mine. Just didn’t wait long enough. Even though it doesn’t seem to have recognized it, several minutes later, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
    How crazy is this - yesterday I freshly formatted 3 different SD cards, then encrypted them using the Helix. Next, I downloaded the software on each one, turned on the Helix, restored defaults and tested each SD card. Nothing! Nada!

And then on what must have been the 30th — and last attempt — it worked. How crazy is that!?

i conversed with the HB technician this morning and she said the update is so large it could take 5 to 8 minutes for the Helix to respond after the SD card is inserted.

Good to know for the future!

Thanks folks for your help.

It took both of my units it's several minutes to recognize the 2.750 update after card was inserted. I thought j itially the issue was on my end. I kept card in my Helix 9 on bow while I was updating my Garmin unit also on the bow and after a few minutes the Helix popped up with the update screen. Took my Helix 12 on console a good while to show update screen also.

Did you do the 1.031 Basemaps update between tbe 2.280 and 2.750?

Wish I had read this yesterday.
    Had issues with my Solix units not responding. Three SD cards later and several re-does on the computer I got them updated,
    What's wild is when they did recognize the card it was within a few seconds.
    I just figured it was operator error.

16. Member
    Is there a difference in formatting the SD Card, Do you need to format it in your helix unit then remove and in your computer load update to card OR before moving update to card can you formatt the SD card on your computer , does it make a difference ????

17. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    Is there a difference in formatting the SD Card, Do you need to format it in your helix unit then remove and in your computer load update to card OR before moving update to card can you formatt the SD card on your computer , does it make a difference ????
    read post #2 above

18. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    You can't format cards with any of the Humminbird Fish Finders. You have to use a computer and format it in FAT32 format.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers