Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New tournament video and help with my son breaking rods!

Here's a tournament video from a couple weeks ago. I'm behind a few tournaments again! Anyway pretty short video as we didn't do very good. Just gotta move forward to the next one!

Also looking for some help. Easton broke his rod setting the hook frogging in this tournament and the next one also. Take a look at the footage and tell me if you think he doing anything from. Thanks!

2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

2. Member
    13 Fishing rod?
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

3. Member
    Overloaded. Just past 1:30 you can see the arc past 180, that's going to do it.
    And evidenced by a double break at both ends of the arc. Feed the boy less.
    Best suggestion. Keep out slack & like a golf swing, back off, hooks are sharp.

4. Member
    I didn't see anything too unusual - what kind of rods is he breaking?

5. Member
    Rods that explode like that on a hook set have often been previously damaged nothing wrong with the hook set.

6. Member
    After reading Tampa Jim's comment, I went back and rewatched the video. I think he is correct - there is too much slack in the line so the rod didn't load up until it was well into his motion of swinging the rod back. Having said that, I still question the quality of the rod or wonder if the blank had been damaged before this. A good quality rod should not break that easily.

7. Member
    How old was the rod? If it older than a few hours of use it was likely not the rod.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    After reading Tampa Jim's comment, I went back and rewatched the video. I think he is correct - there is too much slack in the line so the rod didn't load up until it was well into his motion of swinging the rod back. Having said that, I still question the quality of the rod or wonder if the blank had been damaged before this. A good quality rod should not break that easily.
    Braided line, strong hook, slack line, strong young man, swing like A-Rod ... it's overloaded. As noted, reduce his food.
    When it's beyond 180, you already have ripe conditions. If it was an impact issue, it wouldn't do both ends of the arc.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Braided line, strong hook, slack line, strong young man, swing like A-Rod ... it's overloaded. As noted, reduce his food.
    When it's beyond 180, you already have ripe conditions. If it was an impact issue, it wouldn't do both ends of the arc.
    It would be interesting to know what kind of rod it was - there are some well-known "brands" that are not well-made rods. Another thing I've noticed is how many people put their hand under the rod and lift fish into the boat which is one of the worst things you can do to a rod. Many rods are subjected to abuse which shows up later when the rod is stressed.

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbassman4 View Post
    Rods that explode like that on a hook set have often been previously damaged nothing wrong with the hook set.
    The overwhelming majority of rod breakages are due to something that happen to the rod long after it was bought new. If its a brand new rod and it has a defect in the blank it will break soon after a load is put on it. Rods simply don't wear out and break. We do something to them unknowingly and then they fail but we think its the rods fault. Now there is exceptions to the case but the majority of the time we are the ones who caused the failure buy unknowingly damaging the rod.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    Another thing I've noticed is how many people put their hand under the rod and lift fish into the boat which is one of the worst things you can do to a rod.
    Highsticking occurs in this scenario. It's different than doing it with only the rod, same physics.
    Yes, abuse shows up in many hooksets. Impact breaks are at the weakened spot & evidenced.
    Only a few ways a rod will break, in respect to the causation. ~99% are user related, not OEM.

12. Member
    The rod was Green Ghost from Duckett. It's probably five years old and caught hundreds of frog fish on it. I think TampJim is probably right. That was my initial thought. Slack and a bit far back. Maybe a combination of both as both rods are old and used well. Same kind of break on the other rod. Which is older yet. Thanks all.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

13. Member
    High sticking...acute angle between line and rod.

Although the hook set wasn’t the best. The rod shouldn’t break on the hook set.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Although the hook set wasn’t the best. The rod shouldn’t break on the hook set.
    I did not watch the video again but I remember the rod did not break until it was way back over his shoulder becoming nearly horizontal with the boat, This put the load at an extreme angle to the rod and it snapped

16. Member
    Good to see you two out fishing together again!

17. Member
    Bears flag good, US flag better, Cubs flag not so much.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    13 Fishing rod?
    Ive never broken a rod while actually fishing

And i have 4 13 rods..2 envy and 2 omen (10 years old damn near now) and my one and only envy casting rod spends more time in my hands than anybifher rod i own

Like said above...if the rod is the issue it will pop on the first few days
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

19. Member
    I'm going with some kind if damage to the rod.

20. Member
    Rubbed the epoxy off a rod a few years back and had it snap like that. Also had an old Fenwick and Loomis do the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast