Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rodman is low, stumps showing a plenty...

Hit up Rodman today to scout/prep for a upcoming T... sure is low. Stumps everywhere now... well they were always there, but now you can really see them! Not sure why so low, I don't think it's time for another drawdown yet... Water Hyacinths (I think that's what they are) are everywhere too...

PSA for Kenwood - I tagged one (or something) right in the middle of channel coming out of Kenwood, about 50 ft from end of dock. Idling of course, but still hate that sound :(. Must be deep enough that it's a non-issue at normal pool, but now that it's down several feet t's close enough to hit.

2. Member
    The entire river has been low for months. Not sure why, I know the rain as been little low this summer.. but not too drought dry by any means. Yesterday low tide was probably the lowest I have ever seen it..

Thought man made climate change was causing water levels to rise?......

4. Member
    Does anyone have any idea's? I guess it has to do with lack of rain in certain areas or at the headwaters? I was thinking about posting last week about this...

5. Member
    Dam, dam, dam ... wish I knew the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Dam, dam, dam ... wish I knew the issue.
    lol

Seriously, got to wonder is is lack of rain, or are they lowering for a reason, etc...

7. Member
    Makes me wonder if they're trying to prevent another flood event in Jacksonville.
    Everything is so upside down. Never had an issue while growing up, different now.
    All the pavement, concrete, buildings, etc. We just can't soak it up nowadays.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Hit up Rodman today to scout/prep for a upcoming T... sure is low. Stumps everywhere now... well they were always there, but now you can really see them! Not sure why so low, I don't think it's time for another drawdown yet... Water Hyacinths (I think that's what they are) are everywhere too...

PSA for Kenwood - I tagged one (or something) right in the middle of channel coming out of Kenwood, about 50 ft from end of dock. Idling of course, but still hate that sound :(. Must be deep enough that it's a non-issue at normal pool, but now that it's down several feet t's close enough to hit.

How much (in height) of the stumps are showing? Most of the original timber has rotted off right at or just below normal water level.

I assume this is the dense stumps along the old river channel, and not the root end floaters in barge canal or main pool?

Low water shouldn't be drawdown related, but they might have dropped it to make room for storms this fall.

NE FL is at or above normal rain for July - Both measured and to the extent I've not seen any shrimp nets getting thrown from Palatka to Fuller Warren.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    Low water shouldn't be drawdown related, but they might have dropped it to make room for storms this fall.
    They're doing drawdowns here and down south. Even dumped toxic waste into the bay to prepare for storms.

How much (in height) of the stumps are showing? Most of the original timber has rotted off right at or just below normal water level.

I assume this is the dense stumps along the old river channel, and not the root end floaters in barge canal or main pool?

NE FL is at or above normal rain for July - Both measured and to the extent I've not seen any shrimp nets getting thrown from Palatka to Fuller Warren.
    I was in the canal shooting those pics, pretty much just outside/slightly west of the Kenwood Ramp entrance - looking/shooting south - so yeah pretty much the old river channel area. Appears to be 2-3 feet of wood exposed for most of them. Canal heading west is completely clogged up with water lettuce - I know it's deep enough to blow through there, but still scary. I idled through to get to the "river" side, never know if a floater is hiding under one of those patches :(. Have T on Sat, expecting it to be tough.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 08-20-2022 at 01:01 AM.

11. Member
    I was in the canal shooting those pics, pretty much just outside/slightly west of the Kenwood Ramp entrance - looking/shooting south - so yeah pretty much the old river channel area. Appears to be 2-3 feet of wood exposed for most of them. Canal heading west is completely clogged up with water hyacinths - I know it's deep enough to blow through there, but still scary. I idled through to get to the "river" side, never know if a floater is hiding under one of those patches :(. Have T on Sat, expecting it to be tough.
    Reminds me of Lakes Talquin & Seminole. Stumps are up, except those 2" below the surface.
    Bubba from up north would come ripping thru at 70+ and bang. Stump > Lower Unit, always.
    Current conditions sure make my original "youth boat" look good. Gheenoe with a 9.9 Nissan.

12. Member
    I was in the canal shooting those pics, pretty much just outside/slightly west of the Kenwood Ramp entrance - looking/shooting south - so yeah pretty much the old river channel area. Appears to be 2-3 feet of wood exposed for most of them. Canal heading west is completely clogged up with water hyacinths - I know it's deep enough to blow through there, but still scary. I idled through to get to the "river" side, never know if a floater is hiding under one of those patches :(. Have T on Sat, expecting it to be tough.

Did not see photos - repost if you can.

2'-3' exposed is working towards drawdown level so I'd like to see what you've got. 4'-5' exposed is around the drawdown level.

The canal is probably clogged with water lettuce - maybe not hyacinths. The water lettuce can get thick west of kenwood in mid to late summer, and agreed don't run through any of that unless the guy in front of you just did - bad floaters.

Did not see photos - repost if you can.

2'-3' exposed is working towards drawdown level so I'd like to see what you've got. 4'-5' exposed is around the drawdown level.

The canal is probably clogged with water lettuce - maybe not hyacinths. The water lettuce can get thick west of kenwood in mid to late summer, and agreed don't run through any of that unless the guy in front of you just did - bad floaters.
    I sent you the pics via text... you are right it's probably water lettuce - not sure why I was thinking hyacinths

14. Member
    It's down about a foot and a half, Probably at about 15 1/2'. I haven't spoken with Mickey but I'd assume it's down while they are working on the lock door. Hopefully they will get them working soon. The cabbage is about normal or a little less than normal for August. There is no drawdown scheduled for this year as of a couple of weeks ago. Navigation was fine if you know your way around on Saturday. I was in a white Bullet, we left about 11 am
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

Quote Originally Posted by MARK R View Post
    It's down about a foot and a half, Probably at about 15 1/2'. I haven't spoken with Mickey but I'd assume it's down while they are working on the lock door. Hopefully they will get them working soon. The cabbage is about normal or a little less than normal for August. There is no drawdown scheduled for this year as of a couple of weeks ago. Navigation was fine if you know your way around on Saturday. I was in a white Bullet, we left about 11 am
    We likely just missed each other, I pulled out around/just before 11am Sat - Red/White Skeeter - had to get to Sunrise to pick up some parts before they closed.

I'm a new enough boat owner that I don't really know the way around :(. So I idle around Rodman a LOT... Been studying Google Maps from the drawdown years, but the pucker factor is real for me there.

16. Member
    Local News was out talking with the Long Time Owner of Lone Cabbage Fish Camp on 520 and St Johns River. At the 520 Bridge they showed where it was about 3 feet low.

Guy said that entire area has been way behind for Rain. The Daily Storms that usually start in Early June never really showed up until late July or so.

That would agree with my feelings on it as well. Grass was so Dry here in April May June it crunched when you walked across it. Took until late July for it to really start growing and looking normal.

17. Member
    We need low water. I think it was 2016 where several ramps could not even be used. Fishing was amazing.

18. Member
    I've seen tons of shrimp nets being thrown and I'm told there pretty big shrimp this season...
    2021 Falcon F20 Predator
    2021 Mercury 250 ProXS

I was out there today and it is definitely low, about 3 ft there was plenty of sand showing at the Kenwood ramp the cabbage almost chocked out the channel to Kenwood as well., fishing was tough....

Spanky

20. Banned
    Its normal for the reservoir to fluctuate. One week they have it low then a week later its filled back up and its high. Why Im not sure why but I wish they would leave it a little low just to allow the sun to pernitrate so grass would start to grow. About two/three weeks ago I could idle across the trees, then they dumped it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast