Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GMC/Chevy DFM Real-World Experience Step Inside

I'm in the market for a new SUV (yeah I know it's a bad time to be buying). Wife likes the new GMC Denali, so what's the verdict on the DFM on the 6.2? I'm nervous about the lifter issue in particular. I've watched Youtube and read various articles about bent push rods, oil consumption and poor reliability. What's your real-world experience? Anyone using Range Technology (or other) to maintain v-8 power all the time? Will the use of Range (or other) impact engine reliability over time? I can't see buying a brand-new vehicle and cracking open the engine to do the full delete. I would appreciate BBC insight on this topic. Thank you.

PS - Please no brand war stuff...

2. Member
    Been around a lot of vehicles over the years, currently own a Cadillac SUV.
    You won't catch me bashing too many brands overall ... well, maybe Fiat.

We'd almost assuredly purchase a Toyota Sequoia if looking in that class.
    Not many with the horsepower and torque, none with the overall quality.
    At least that's my opinion. If price isn't an object, the Lexus LX is the twin.

3. Member
    My wife is going to get a Tahoe within the next year. We are going with the 3.0 Duramax. I haven't heard anything bad about them yet. I'm sure there are some with problems but they haven't gotten to my ears yet.

I have a 2015 Yukon Denali I use range all the time. Didn't hurt mpg and runs just fine. The guy at the dealer said run it and I have no issues so far.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    My wife is going to get a Tahoe within the next year. We are going with the 3.0 Duramax. I haven't heard anything bad about them yet. I'm sure there are some with problems but they haven't gotten to my ears yet.
    hurry as the 3.0 diesel is being updated soon with afm type cylinder de-activation
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    get one and a range technologies device and all good
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

7. #FRB
    I've heard mixed reviews on whether or not the "always a v8" module helps with top end longevity. A buddy of mine thought he was good to go running one on his 2018 5.3 since new but it's getting lifter work at 90K. Mostly interstate driving on this engine also. Maybe he just had a bad set of lifters from the start? Don't know anyone personally with the 6.2.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

From what I have read on the cylinder deactivation problems keeping really clean high quality oil in them is the most important thing to do. Frequent oil changes, every 3k to 4k with high quality full synthetic oil will lengthen the life of the top end more than anything else you can do.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    hurry as the 3.0 diesel is being updated soon with afm type cylinder de-activation
    UGH

My daughter bought a 6.2 Denali a couple of months ago. She and her husband were die hard Ford nuts. After having nothing but trouble out of her last two Expeditions they bought the Denali. The ride and comfort to me is way above the Fords. She drives the fire out all her vehicles. The 6.2 is getting right at 20mph and that’s running 75-80 all the time. We will see how it holds up. Don’t think it could be worse than the Fords. We are a year or so out from a new SUV and when we do it will be 3.0 Duramax Tahoe
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

I have a 2021 Silverado with the 6.2 and 10 speed. I love the truck and the DFM is hardly noticeable when operating. Empty, I average around 20 MPG and it pulls a 26' loaded enclosed trailer with ease. That being said, it has been in the shop to have half of the lifters replaced already. That was at about 9,000 miles. Have 13K on it now with no other problems. The down side to the newer DFM is that disabling it won't solve the lifter problem like it did with AFM. Mine is the crew cab, short bed, Z71 and everyone that has ridden in it mentions how nice it rides and how quiet it is. One thing I did do right away was replace the junk Rancho rear shocks with Bilstein 5100s.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    I have a 2021 Silverado with the 6.2 and 10 speed. I love the truck and the DFM is hardly noticeable when operating. Empty, I average around 20 MPG and it pulls a 26' loaded enclosed trailer with ease. That being said, it has been in the shop to have half of the lifters replaced already. That was at about 9,000 miles. Have 13K on it now with no other problems. The down side to the newer DFM is that disabling it won't solve the lifter problem like it did with AFM. Mine is the crew cab, short bed, Z71 and everyone that has ridden in it mentions how nice it rides and how quiet it is. One thing I did do right away was replace the junk Rancho rear shocks with Bilstein 5100s.
    same basic lifters in afm and dfm just 16 instead of 8??
    MAGA

13. Member
    Get the new Hummer EV, no more lifter problems!

14. Member
    I have an ‘18 Sierra Denali 6.2 with about 36k miles and run the Range Technologies, get 19-21 mpg and have had no issues but I do change the oil every 3k miles and only use mobile one.

15. Member
    For the life of me I can’t figure out why GM continues down this path. The older LS engines were bulletproof. Should have left well enough alone.

16. Moderator
    I have a 2020 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 engine and 10 speed transmission. Was told it doesn't drop cylinders on the highway due to having a 10 speed tranny. Is this not correct?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Hog View Post
    For the life of me I can’t figure out why GM continues down this path. The older LS engines were bulletproof. Should have left well enough alone.
    Govt fuel milage regulations

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Hog View Post
    epa and govt regulations is the reason for all these failures!!
    MAGA

19. Member
    I have a 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 Crew Cab 6-1/2’ bed with the 6.2 currently about 8500 mi and I absolutely love the thing. Very torquey and getting 21mpg highway and about 12-15 towing my z521c , so I’m pleased..!! I bought it very early in production and they didn’t have the AFM (active fuel management) chip installed so not exactly addressing the original post question.

Lifter issues were trucks built from September of 20 through March of 21. I have a 6.2 in a 22 & my wife a late 21 Yukon with a 5.3 that has 20k on it now & both have been great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast