Scott Martin says the new big o lake plans STINKS!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

2. Member
    Yep ... sold our lake place on Hatchineha because they repeatedly allowed us to get too low to feed the river.
    The entire focus has been restoring the river to a natural flow rate. But it's killing both ends, in opposing fashion.
    At this point, they can keep doing whatever and no one will stop it. Too much cash involved. Florida = Done.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Yep ... sold our lake place on Hatchineha because they repeatedly allowed us to get too low to feed the river.
    The entire focus has been restoring the river to a natural flow rate. But it's killing both ends, in opposing fashion.
    At this point, they can keep doing whatever and no one will stop it. Too much cash involved. Florida = Done.
    Yeah its getting harder to consider doing any improvements or just bail. I got a little time before I have to decide but not liking what I'm seeing either.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

4. Member
    Other than last year, I've been going to the lake every February for the last six years.
    I was also contemplating on buying in Clewiston.
    I'm done with that thought.

5. Member
    And when a little grass grows back, they spray it. I’m thinking we need a class action lawsuit. If we knew of a rabid environmental attorney who would take on the case and charge the state, I’d be honored to be a part of that. Griping goes nowhere. We need to organize an overwhelmingly massive class action suit.
    Didn’t even to mention the extensive chemical soup they have sprayed for years. I have well water. No telling how bad this could get from all of the illnesses throughout the state which may be caused by contaminated well water.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Yeah its getting harder to consider doing any improvements or just bail. I got a little time before I have to decide but not liking what I'm seeing either.

Florida is just trashed. Resources are overtaxed, roads are chaos & people suck.
    Just need to make up our mind. Maybe, the top edge of the state, maybe not.
    It's time, not worth remodeling again just to get beaten non-stop by insurance.

7. Member
    My uncle left from running a bait shop and building air boats down there in the early 70s for same reasons ,I'm also gone and been in SC for 45 yrs and the lake I'm on just yesterday said were lowering it 8 ft to kill off the weeds and they do it all the time and my lake is 100 ft deep ,reason water quality

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Florida is just trashed. Resources are overtaxed, roads are chaos & people suck.
    Just need to make up our mind. Maybe, the top edge of the state, maybe not.
    It's time, not worth remodeling again just to get beaten non-stop by insurance.
    Yeah a lot of stupid crap going on. I've been thinking somewhere generally around Greenville or Guntersville. If we would sell. But its hard to leave when you walk out the back door and your in the boat and at your spot in about 20 mins and that's with a lock through. I suspect will be hard to replace from what I've been looking at.
    Last edited by Rick H; 08-13-2022 at 06:32 PM.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

9. Member
    Yeah a lot of stupid crap going on. I've been thinking somewhere generally around Greenville or Guntersville. If we would sell. But its hard to leave when you walk out the back door and your in the boat and at your spot in about 20 mins and that's with a lock through. I suspect will be had to replace from what I've been looking at.
    Citizens just hit 1M policies. Now they're saying if (read as when) we get hit by a major storm, we're screwed.
    The policy holders will see a one-time assessment of 45% and the rest of us will be surcharged 30% ... WTF!!

At this point, we're actually considering a full-time relocation to Panama, instead of dual residency any longer.
    Just have to liquidate here & there, our place is in the financial district, don't want to live in the city full time.

Absolutely, positively, no good answers, none. My place on Hatchineha was waterfront, with a lift, convenient.
    But the non-stop spraying, insane up/down of water levels, impairment, idiots, crime, etc. wasn't worth it.
    In today's Florida, you can't leave anything at the ramp either ... even your truck & trailer are subject to theft.

10. Member
    I always enjoyed Hatchineha. Would’ve looked for a property there but they run airboats on that chain like ATV’s. It’s incessant and all night, every night.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    I always enjoyed Hatchineha. Would’ve looked for a property there but they run airboats on that chain like ATV’s. It’s incessant and all night, every night.
    We had one of those neighbors. Usually came back at 2am with a strong desire to purge all the carbon.
    Kissimmee is the worst, by a long shot. However, the entire chain requires caution to not be runover.
    Open water fishing is pretty safe, pitching the pads, not so much. Many are blitzed, adding to the risk.

All good points Jim and my concerns too. The area where our place is was kicking up its heels 25 years ago but most of the guides are gone and lake management hasn't helped either. Been hoping it would turn sooner than later but covid hasn't helped one bit. But wonder if the new BP site will just start things but at the same time it may make it worse. Time is on my side at this point we'll know in the next couple years.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

We have/had been looking to buy near the lake, Okeechobee city or thereabouts but now and with the last several trips to the lake looking at the water quality I dont think we are going to go that route

The State of Florida is sitting on a Gold mine but instead of making it better it appears they would rather flush the whole area. But maybe that is the plan.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

15. Member
    The State of Florida is sitting on a Gold mine but instead of making it better it appears they would rather flush the whole area. But maybe that is the plan.
    Wouldn't surprise me if they wanted XX,XXX acres to dry up for development.
    Or have enough "issues" to warrant new dikes for a smaller impound, etc.
    At this point, there's really no telling the full intent. At least until it's too late.

What the FWC spraying did...and I watched some below Welaka above Lake George was simply bio nuking...and I taught college Biology/Botany...
    just wiped put my 4 best $$$ banks...nothing they sprayed was impeding navigation or choking docks....caught bass to 8.58# but it was so nuked 2 years later it was brown barren lifeless banks being eroded...disgu$ting!

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

17. Member
    I used to live on the North end of Lake George. Loved it there--but---hard to make a living !!!!!!! I was doing a bit of guide work and caught shiners in the lift nets. Wife ran a restaurant and rented cabins on the place.

Place is closed now-----but it used to be Lunker Lodge and fish camp !

18. Scraps
    Dam shame. Hope they can reverse the proposed changes.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Dam shame. Hope they can reverse the proposed changes.
    A lot of our Florida lakes are FUBAR , in my opinion most will never recover and a shame that this has been
    swept under the rug and those responsible turn their head and look the other way. Greed is a sad motivator but
    nonetheless a factor. Long term results have already started to show. I’m no scientist but even a 3rd grader knows that poison water is not good. Welcome to Florida the “New” Camp Lejeune.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler1 View Post
    A lot of our Florida lakes are FUBAR , in my opinion most will never recover and a shame that this has been
    swept under the rug and those responsible turn their head and look the other way. Greed is a sad motivator but
    nonetheless a factor. Long term results have already started to show. I’m no scientist but even a 3rd grader knows that poison water is not good. Welcome to Florida the “New” Camp Lejeune.
    Yeah its getting harder and harder to stay. At this point I have a couple three years to give if it doesn't get better I'm out. Already looking if something comes up I may pull the trigger both ways. As long as I can fish at least 10 months out of the year I'm good.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"