Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with painting over gelcoat

Hey guys, my boat is like this one in the picture and I would like to paint the white areas on the sides a dark red color, because I don't really care for the white. I have experience in automotive and motorcycle painting but know nothing about boats. What is the easiest way to change the color? I have 2K clear I could mix with a red flake and make it super shiny. Or do I need to spray over it with a red gel coat and clear over that? Tried to find a good YouTube on this and haven't found one that shows what I'm trying to do. Thanks guys
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Gelcoat is no picnic, sand sand sand, and more sanding. Have you concidered a wrap??
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
    Gelcoat is no picnic, sand sand sand, and more sanding. Have you concidered a wrap??
    Decided to go with a wrap :) i hate sand sand sand

4. Member
    Once you cut any flake with sandpaper it is a real pain to seal back up due to the porosity under the clear gel seal that is applied into the mold first. The clear is applied to the mold and the flake follows. Any air pockets left by the flake is just waiting to cause problems. Painting over tinted gelcoat is no problem but painting over flake is. Good choice on the wrap IMO.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    Once you cut any flake with sandpaper it is a real pain to seal back up due to the porosity under the clear gel seal that is applied into the mold first. The clear is applied to the mold and the flake follows. Any air pockets left by the flake is just waiting to cause problems. Painting over tinted gelcoat is no problem but painting over flake is. Good choice on the wrap IMO.
    Trying to keep this project easier :) tired of doing things the hard way

Besides just changing the color what is the reason you need to paint? Is the finish faded or other issues?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Besides just changing the color what is the reason you need to paint? Is the finish faded or other issues?
    Don't like white

JMO….If there is no real issues with the finish on the boat I would never paint any of it. Way to many things can go wrong also prolly won’t sell as well. Sell it with no issues and buy one of the color of your choice.
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    JMO….If there is no real issues with the finish on the boat I would never paint any of it. Way to many things can go wrong also prolly won’t sell as well. Sell it with no issues and buy one of the color of your choice.
    Ha. That is not the purpose of my post, my friend. If I wanted peoples opinions on if I should change the color, I would've titled it that way :-) for now I will do a wrap and see how that goes. I like the boat the way it is except for the color so that white Has to go :-)

Thanks dude !!!! I as well as a couple others that do this stuff for a living come on here to help people that in most cases don’t really don’t know what their doin. So even though you didn’t ask for my opinion and I will continue to give it to people such as yourself that “should” appreciate it. Whether I ask for an opinion or not….if I’m reaching into an area I’m clueless about, I appreciate opinions or anyones time that is willing to interject in their perspective areas of expertise. Excuse me while I go back to restoring boats for a living.
    www.ncboatguy.com

11. Member
    Thanks dude !!!! I as well as a couple others that do this stuff for a living come on here to help people that in most cases don’t really don’t know what their doin. So even though you didn’t ask for my opinion and I will continue to give it to people such as yourself that “should” appreciate it. Whether I ask for an opinion or not….if I’m reaching into an area I’m clueless about, I appreciate opinions or anyones time that is willing to interject in their perspective areas of expertise. Excuse me while I go back to restoring boats for a living.
    How are you offended? I asked a specific question of how to paint over a gel coat and you tell me that I should rethink it and not paint over it. Again, not asking for your opinion on if I should. I was asking how to do it the best way.

12. Member
    There is no best way. Automotive water based enamels do not bond properly to polyester resins. It will not flex along with the gel coat and eventually peel off . No matter what "bonding agent" you use.

13. Member
    So I have done it for years without any problems but using the right materials, application techniques, and not getting in a hurry. Fishin Polock is on the money with water base. The only product I have ever used was either Valspar 2K Urethane or PPG Refinish Shop Line 2K Urethane. For the last 10 years PPG Shop Line JAU Urethane is all I spray. I vigorously wash and de-grease first. Sanding is all done dry with 220-320 Grit machine, 320 Grit by hand. You have to clean the substrate so you do not sand contaminants further into the gelcoat. After all sanding is done I use Wipeout to remove fingerprints & wax. At this point I wait a full day for the Wipeout to evaporate to reduce the chance of Fisheye. Application is by spray, I do not reduce at all. Spray is with 2.2 tip HVLP Gravity gun and 3m PPS System cups. So if it's going to sink you can't stop it. Gelcoat will let the gloss from the first shoot sink a lot of times. I will shoot with the intention of sanding in 30 days then shoot again. If your Clear Gelcoat is in great shape sinking is minimized, why I can't say but dull, flat, gelcoat will suck your gloss like a sponge. Take a picture immediately after spraying and one 30 days later and what I'm saying become obvious. A lot of time the reflection of your hand can't be seen. Another thing, once 2K Urethane is applied it can only be topcoated with 2K urethane. Most adhesion mistakes come from using a 400 Grit or finer scratch. That is not enough "Tooth" for this application. Just like the Shine I just shot on my Blazer, I waited till scratching the gelcoat powdered then mixed Clear Gelcoat with Black Tint to get the rich color seen in the photographs. Lastly, if you are spraying 2K over Gelcoat in a low humidity environment get a anti-static attachment for your air hose or your paint will suck every little particle of dust in the air to the surface.

14. Member
    why didn't you post a picture of your boat instead of finding one on-line find that a little strange

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Polock View Post
    There is no best way. Automotive water based enamels do not bond properly to polyester resins. It will not flex along with the gel coat and eventually peel off . No matter what "bonding agent" you use.
    Thanks FP. I have access to solvent based paint and clears still.... for now

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishing addiction View Post
    why didn't you post a picture of your boat instead of finding one on-line find that a little strange
    Why is that strange? :) bbc is a pain for me to post pics with my ipad because of the size parameters required.

17. Member
    So I have done it for years without any problems but using the right materials, application techniques, and not getting in a hurry. Fishin Polock is on the money with water base. The only product I have ever used was either Valspar 2K Urethane or PPG Refinish Shop Line 2K Urethane. For the last 10 years PPG Shop Line JAU Urethane is all I spray. I vigorously wash and de-grease first. Sanding is all done dry with 220-320 Grit machine, 320 Grit by hand. You have to clean the substrate so you do not sand contaminants further into the gelcoat. After all sanding is done I use Wipeout to remove fingerprints & wax. At this point I wait a full day for the Wipeout to evaporate to reduce the chance of Fisheye. Application is by spray, I do not reduce at all. Spray is with 2.2 tip HVLP Gravity gun and 3m PPS System cups. So if it's going to sink you can't stop it. Gelcoat will let the gloss from the first shoot sink a lot of times. I will shoot with the intention of sanding in 30 days then shoot again. If your Clear Gelcoat is in great shape sinking is minimized, why I can't say but dull, flat, gelcoat will suck your gloss like a sponge. Take a picture immediately after spraying and one 30 days later and what I'm saying become obvious. A lot of time the reflection of your hand can't be seen. Another thing, once 2K Urethane is applied it can only be topcoated with 2K urethane. Most adhesion mistakes come from using a 400 Grit or finer scratch. That is not enough "Tooth" for this application. Just like the Shine I just shot on my Blazer, I waited till scratching the gelcoat powdered then mixed Clear Gelcoat with Black Tint to get the rich color seen in the photographs. Lastly, if you are spraying 2K over Gelcoat in a low humidity environment get a anti-static attachment for your air hose or your paint will suck every little particle of dust in the air to the surface.
    This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much. I would've used 400 grit had I not read your post. I also have Valspar and PPG 2K products here. I did decide on the wrap for now, but down the road will probably end up painting, so again thank you, your description was absolutely perfect for me

18. Member
    If using PPG Refinish get a can of their Fisheye Eliminator and go ahead and add to your first spray. It's next to impossible to deal with all the contaminants due to the porosity of fiberglass. This will at least prepare you up front.

19. Member
    If using PPG Refinish get a can of their Fisheye Eliminator and go ahead and add to your first spray. It's next to impossible to deal with all the contaminants due to the porosity of fiberglass. This will at least prepare you up front.
    Will do. Have you ever tested a bit of flake shooting the singles stage?

20. Member
    I do not shoot flake at all on boats unless buried in clear gelcoat. I have a Dry Flake gun that as a flake repair was visible on a job in for something else I would let the owner know I could repair. Pumping my bill was all, numerous little jobs like that paid my overhead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast