Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Little Shad Raps like size 5 or 6 are really good early spring baits in this area.

The Megabass Super Z1, Z2 abd Z3 are great. Especially in the katsumi ito color. Pick the one that fits the depth you are targeting. They cast great too. Catch a ton on them.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mega...waAgzHEALw_wcB

I’ve nailed more than a few 3-4 lb fish on Strike King Bitsy Minnow ultralight cranks over the years. I’ve moved on from them to better quality baits but I definitely believe in small baits at times.
    Ranting incoherently

4. Member
    Already have some Senkos tied on. Waiting for it to cool off in October.

5. Member

6. Member
    Manns -1 in red has been our best crank for shallow NW Ontario smallmouth. I have plenty of these baits in other colors and none come close to red. I have no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanboat View Post
    Manns -1 in red has been our best crank for shallow NW Ontario smallmouth. I have plenty of these baits in other colors and none come close to red. I have no idea why.
    Ike's Demon which is reddish works well on Shad Raps early spring.

8. Member
    One of the best fisherman in the club I was in fished a baby N religiously. I used to toss short warts back then with good results. Until recently all my PBs came off of storm small lures.

9. Member
    The biggest drawback to small crankbaits is small hooks. That and your tackle has to match them. You need to balance the light action of the rod, line, and reel with the ability to set the hook, especially in big fish. You can't set a hook well with a noodle. That said, it is quite a feat to keep a 5 pounder on with 6 pound test. It's a good thing the bass energy level decreases with really cold temperatures up North, but you are unlikely to experience 40 degree water where you are unless you're fishing in the refrigerator.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy11 View Post

LOL,

Cool off in October, good one. But I hope your right! But guess 95 is cooler than 105

11. Member
    Don't be afraid to mix it up a bit, where I fish has a lot of really steep banks, like out 5 ft it's 10 feet deep. I throw small jigs in under the overhanging trees, and I guess the Bass think it fell out. They work good in open water in the grass also..

20200621_134633.jpg favorite color 20200629_170505.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12