Thread: Stratos Retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stratos Retired

Well my old 1997 Stratos 258 bit the dust. I purchased it a few years ago and planned to upgrade before the summer of 2023. Well I came home from out of town to continue my continual battle with the leaking rub rail and found the transom was cracked. My son used it while I was gone but doesn't think he hit anything. I inquired about having it repaired but the costs far outweigh what I paid for the boat. So I am in the market for an upgrade. I have been looking at used Stratos 21 footers, but the Triton TR21 X2 has grabbed my eye. Any thoughts out there on Triton and this model? If looks were the only criteria, I would runaway forever with the one I have been looking at. LOL. Sidebar: I am looking for a used boat between $15k and 25k. I look forward to the response. Thank you.

2. Member
    Insurance claim?
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Member
    Considering I oonly paid $4000 for the boat, it didn't seem worth it to insure it for it damages. I believe I only have liability insurance.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but while many in your position [OP] would say “I’ll think about it in the spring,” potentially the best time to look for a replacement boat will be in the next 2-3 months. More inventory, better prices, fewer competing buyers.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Out of curiosity I just punched in Stratos on my local craigslist and found a boat load of them priced from $4000 to $20,000 and some look to be exceptionally well taken care of. https://louisville.craigslist.org/se...?query=stratos

6. Member
    Those are some nice looking Stratos boats.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredmechanic View Post
    Those are some nice looking Stratos boats.
    Agree. I was a big fan of the boats that OMC built in the 90's ( and owned one for 11 years).
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    This stuff happens. I know a guy who walked out and found a crack in the transom on his Sprint years ago. Didn't hit anything...it just plain failed. On the boat hunt as you already know condition and how the boat was maintained is everything. Take your time but if you find that well maintained creampuff that's priced right be ready to pounce.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

No one likes a pot licker or GPS pirate. FIND YOUR OWN FISH!

9. Member
    Thanks for the replies and insight. Patience has never been my strong point, but I am taking my time to find the right boat. I have taken into consideration that the next couple of months might bring some great deals.

You can buy a nice Ranger with that budget unless you just have to have a Stratos

11. Member
    The 21X2 is a fine boat. Most will have some semblance of blistering where the hull sits on the bunks so check for that. It’s a BIG boat at 21’7” so with the 250 you will likely only only see speeds of 68-70 with tourney loads although I’ve had mine to 74.9 in cool weather and very lightly loaded. The boat rides extremely well, even in whitecaps hammer down and go you won’t notice. Performs well when you get into rollers even though there are boats of its size that ride a little drier in those conditions. Storage is laid out very well and that front deck is huge, we regularly fish 3 off my front deck when targeting offshore summer schools. I’m over 6’ and over 250 lbs and I can literally get into the rod lockers and shut the lid. Marine master did a poor job of fitting most of the trailers so they are more sensitive on loading and unloading than most because the trailer has to be very shallow for the nose to clear the bow roller, same thing when unloading, when in finally floats enough to come off the bunks without full throttle reverse the nose drops quite a bit off the roller. Even with the negatives you won’t find a bigger better boat in its price range, if big is what you are looking for.

12. Member
    Thanks for the insight on the Triton. I have heard good things about them. I am open to Rangers and even Stratos. We shall see what the months bring. LOL.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos Fan View Post
    Thanks for the insight on the Triton. I have heard good things about them. I am open to Rangers and even Stratos. We shall see what the months bring. LOL.
    basscat also !!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I had a Triton 19X2 and it rode big for a 19.6 foot boat. It feels like a combo of the older Triton and the Ranger ..... it is heavier than the old Triton. The only thing that was somewhat undesirable was the fuel smell in the rod lockers due to the use of a nylon/PVC gas tank instead of metal.
    Mine was a very solid boat

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

15. Member
    If your willing to travel, The boats up north are usually well maintained. Stored for the winter times and what not. NGL, my 07 Stratos 176XT is in pretty good shape for how old it is. Even though it sits outside in my driveway, it's always covered with the boat cover and a tarp over that.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

16. Member
    Well I found an incredible deal on a Triton TR-196. I bought it from the original motor who took good care of it, and even kept it stored indoors. This bought is nearly perfect. All it needed was two trolling motor batteries. My son and I took it out and what a thrill it was! I am quite pleased. Thank you for everyone's insight and advice.

Good for you! I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment.

18. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but while many in your position [OP] would say “I’ll think about it in the spring,” potentially the best time to look for a replacement boat will be in the next 2-3 months. More inventory, better prices, fewer competing buyers.
    Not sure on price, but I already see more inventory, new/used, at the dealers I frequent. A few short months inventory everywhere seemed really low. Better now.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

19. Member
    I had a 99 201, It was one of the best, smoothest riding bass boats I've rode in and I've been in a few. It rode a lot better than my 2019 Nitro. If I'm remembering right the early model Stratos 21 SS Extreme had what they called the Stratos lean and some of the hulls got recalled.

20. Member
    Congrats on the new ride. Hope it treats you well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast