Blank suggestion

Needing suggestions on selecting a blank. The rod will be used for 9/16" arky style head jig with a medium wire 0.050" hook (similar to Eakins type), Zoom big salty chunk, and 15-20lb. fluoro. So, I need something with power to pitch/cast the head with the heavy trailer but not too heavy as to bend the hook. I am considering the following three blanks: NFC SJ736 (IP 881), Point Blank PB731MHXF (IP 827), and Rainshadow Eternity 72MH-SS (IP?). Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    I can only give you advice on the NFC blanks. I would not recommend the SJ736 for any jig fishing over 1/4oz, the tip at 4.6 mm is just too small. I would recommend the Xray SJ725 with a 5.5 mm tip instead for that jig weight - actually anything at, or above 3/8. The 725 has a higher line weight and lure weight than the 736 but it feels more like a heavy power rod than the 736 (which should be labeled as a MH). I have both but have not fished the SJ725 much - but it is awesome.

A darkhorse in this race you have not mentioned is the HM Flip models. I would suggest these if you like a jig rod with more of a mod-fast action over a fast one. Taking a Flip764 and cutting off 3" makes an amazing jig/big worm rod. I actually have done this and do not have enough time with a 1/2 oz jig in my hand to decide if the SJ725 or Flip764 (cut down) is going to win out.

3. Member
    Seeing as you are considering Rainshadow, consider the RX 10 series instead of the Eternity. They are light and powerful. The ETEC 72MH will be a beautiful blank. Being short, I built myself the 6'8" version for pitching/skipping, but built my friend the 7'2". We both love the rods.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    Also, I had someone suggest a Liberty FS764. I am told it may be more of a moderate action. Can anyone confirm this?

5. Member
    The FS764 has a 20+ year history, but I don't know how the pedigree has been pulled off in it's last evolution, The original FS764 was a Shikari blank, it came in three graphites and everyone lucky enough to try one loved them, they were as you discribed 618PRP, when Shikari folded one of the lovers of this blank, Rich Forhan author, custom rod designer, tournament angler and tackle designer was developing some bass rods for Lamiglas in honor of Dee Thomas, Father of Flipping and a Hall of Famer, He developed three blanks in IM700 graphite, very similar to Loomis IMX. A frog, medium power, and flipping stick similar to the FS764. Josh Cooper moved from Lamiglas to Cousins bringing the bass designs he liked, FS764 being one, with him, I was told the Liberties were Cousin designs originally till Cousins folded. I have no idea who builds the new Liberties.
    Rich Forhan now uses a Thrasher rod blank with the right characteristics, inexpensive, and made in the USA, the BSC7807, an eight foot, (7' 10" for shipping) blank that can be shortened if you choose, and they will do it.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 08-14-2022 at 12:10 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    The FS764 has a 20+ year history, but I don't know how the pedigree has been pulled off in it's last evolution, The original FS764 was a Shikari blank, it came in three graphites and everyone lucky enough to try one loved them, they were as you discribed 618PRP, when Shikari folded one of the lovers of this blank, Rich Forhan author, custom rod designer, tournament angler and tackle designer was developing some bass rods for Lamiglas in honor of Dee Thomas, Father of Flipping and a Hall of Famer, He developed three blanks in IM700 graphite, very similar to Loomis IMX. A frog, medium power, and flipping stick similar to the FS764. Josh Cooper moved from Lamiglas to Cousins bringing the bass designs he liked, FS764 being one, with him, I was told the Liberties were Cousin designs originally till Cousins folded. I have no idea who builds the new Liberties.
    Rich Forhan now uses a Thrasher rod blank with the right characteristics, inexpensive, and made in the USA, the BSC7807, an eight foot, (7' 10" for shipping) blank that can be shortened if you choose, and they will do it.
    Thanks for the history Spoon, very interesting. I had RF build be a crankbait rod a few years back on a shikari glass blank, I wish I would have had him build be a flipping stick also. Great guy, I emailed him about a year ago and asked him a couple of questions and he promptly replied. I noticed a few years back when Klein won one of the flw events out of Memphis, he had a generic looking flipping stick on his deck that he would alternate with his brand name rod, I am betting it was one of the old FS764's and I bet he still has a few stashed away.

7. Member
    Spoon, thanks for the info. Looking into the Thrasher blanks, if the actions are as listed they may be exactly what I am looking for.

8. Member
    That's some history right there...Rich pointed me towards the Liberty FS764 maybe a couple of years after Shikari went away. Back then I had some Shikari FS764's to compare it to...the power and action are identical with the Liberty coming in just a touch heavier weight wise. It's a great blank especially for the money and would be a fantastic blank for what you're looking for. The Thrasher 7807 would be a good choice too but I'd personally lean towards the 7806 for that weight jig. I'd go with the Liberty myself. The RX10 MH you listed has less power than the FS764 but would work as well.

Jason from Thrasher pointed me towards Talon blanks and I've bought a few to try. He said he thought at least some of the Shikari mandrels were there and I'd bet that the 7'6" extendable flippin blank is one of them. Was a nice blank but broke it setting the hook on a log and never got another.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    Thanks for the history Spoon, very interesting. I had RF build be a crankbait rod a few years back on a shikari glass blank, I wish I would have had him build be a flipping stick also. Great guy, I emailed him about a year ago and asked him a couple of questions and he promptly replied. I noticed a few years back when Klein won one of the flw events out of Memphis, he had a generic looking flipping stick on his deck that he would alternate with his brand name rod, I am betting it was one of the old FS764's and I bet he still has a few stashed away.
    Rich would build Gary FS764's with a full cork colored hypalon handle to blend in better with his sponsors rods on TV. If you look close you can see that they're wrapped spiral.

10. Member
    The BSC7806 is more of a worm and Carolina rig rod, jigs also. 60 ft. pitches I think need a bit more power.

11. Member
    Ended up going with the Liberty 764. Thanks for all the suggestions!