Removing in hull transducer?

Is there a good way to remove an old Humminbird shoot-thru transducer that was epoxied in at the factory or am I better off just putting in another adjacent to it? I have an 08 P2 and it had an old 787 or whatever graph in the dash, I removed that graph and ran an old 899 for 2D while on plane. Recently upgraded to a Helix 9 G4N MDI at the console for my second graph (Solix 10 is the primary) so my lady can see the Mega 360 from the back deck, but the old glassed in ducer doesn't jive with the Helix 9. With the new configuration I want to run mapping on the Solix while on plane and have the 2D running on the Helix, while graphing I will run SI on the Solix, mapping and 2D on the Helix, and while we are fishing I will have mapping and 2D on the Solix and Mega 360 on the Helix.

2. Member
    Better off putting it next to it but I have heat the transducer up with a heat gun and then smacked it with a block of wood and a hammer (typically a very awkward procedure). You can get it all up it’s just how much more work/access is needed
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

3. Member
    I removed one in my 2016 Cougar to replace it.

Like the previous post said - I had to heat it up and beat on it. I destroyed it, and it took quite a bit of effort, but I did get it out. The way my pumps/hoses were situated, I didn't have room to put a second one in there.
    2023 Puma STS

4. Member
    I removed one from an Eyra. Lots of heat and hammering. Final trick was to get a section of the epoxy chipped away exposing an edge between the hull and the transducer. I flattened an air chisel bit down with a grinder as to remove the edge on the bit. Slapped the bit in the air chisel and got the exposed edge a beat or two and bam she was out with no damage to the hull. Transducer was garbage though.

Use a long chisel with a narrow blade, and catch the bottom corner when hitting it with a ball peen hammer.

I swung a 3 or 5 LB hammer until I was tired with a block of wood unsuccessfully. A couple of swings hitting the TD directly with the hammer knocked it loose. I guess the block of wood cushions the blow too much, and it takes a hard shock to knock it loose. I hope I'll never want to change the TD again.

7. Member
    I have done this twice over the years on 2 different boats using a 2" wide wood chisel against the edge of the transducer where it meets the bilge floor . Both times they popped free with one or two hits with a ballpeen hammer

That’s the method…

Quote Originally Posted by kls2020 View Post
    I have done this twice over the years on 2 different boats using a 2" wide wood chisel against the edge of the transducer where it meets the bilge floor . Both times they popped free with one or two hits with a ballpeen hammer

9. Member
    Thanks, I will get my new ducer ordered up and tear into that when I get back from vacation.