USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

Humminbird lithium update

This was an email powerhouse lithium got from humminbird. What they put in the manual and what they say to customers can be different. So glad because my clarity is really dialed in:

Thank you for contacting Humminbird. We appreciate your
    support of our products.
    The operating range for the voltage for the Mega Live is
    between 12 and 20 volts. A 16 volt battery is safe to use so
    long as the power is wired correctly and a 2 amp fuse is
    installed.
    If we can assist you further on this subject or any other
    Humminbird related questions please feel free to email us
    again.
    Good Boating and Fishing!
    Jakob
    Technical Support Representative
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

2. Member
    Jim, it seems that your Humminbird equipment is going to be safe running on 16 volts. My question is whether or not your boat electrical system is going to be safe running the way you said you were installing the battery. I saw in your install video that you were going to parallel the 16 volt battery to your 12 volt starting battery. It seems to me that the 16 volt battery will hold the boat electrical system at 16 volts, at least until it discharges below that level. And the charging system on the motor will only charge at around a 14.5 volt level, which will not be enough to charge a 16 volt battery. In the beginning of this discussion, I assumed you had the 16 volt battery as a stand alone, with its own dedicated charger. Just my thoughts. Gary.
    2020 Caymas CX20 Pro, Mercury Pro XS 250 4 stroke, SN 2B735045
    Helix 15 msi G4N, Helix 12 msi G3N, Helix 12 mdi G4N, Solix 12 G1
    Mega 360, Mega Live w/ Targetlock, 8' Raptors,
    Minkota Ultrex 112 w/Ipilot Link, (2) 5 Port Switches

3. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by venomvee View Post
    Jim, it seems that your Humminbird equipment is going to be safe running on 16 volts. My question is whether or not your boat electrical system is going to be safe running the way you said you were installing the battery. I saw in your install video that you were going to parallel the 16 volt battery to your 12 volt starting battery. It seems to me that the 16 volt battery will hold the boat electrical system at 16 volts, at least until it discharges below that level. And the charging system on the motor will only charge at around a 14.5 volt level, which will not be enough to charge a 16 volt battery. In the beginning of this discussion, I assumed you had the 16 volt battery as a stand alone, with its own dedicated charger. Just my thoughts. Gary.
    i think maybe you have me mistaken for the videos Big Jim Barlow makes but good observation
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

4. Member
    Oops. Sorry. You are right. I will repost at the proper thread.
    Thanks.
    2020 Caymas CX20 Pro, Mercury Pro XS 250 4 stroke, SN 2B735045
    Helix 15 msi G4N, Helix 12 msi G3N, Helix 12 mdi G4N, Solix 12 G1
    Mega 360, Mega Live w/ Targetlock, 8' Raptors,
    Minkota Ultrex 112 w/Ipilot Link, (2) 5 Port Switches