Trim Problem from the harness

Good day!

Strange problem that I can’t find the answer to after hours of troubleshooting and researching. It’d be nice if the problem is easily solved.

PROBLEM:
    1. Trim will not go up.

2. When testing the UP harness (part that seats the relays)
    a. PIN 87 gets power 13.30V
    b. PIN 85 gets NOTHING 0 when the up button is pressed.

3. In the past the Trim UP would occasionally hiccup and intermittently NOT worked for just a minute or two. Now it doesn’t work at all.

Pictures coming….

Trim-Relay diagram.jpg

Trim-Relay-Pin Numbers.jpg

Resolving it has me stumped, fuses and relays are easy.
    Where do I go from here?
    Is this a huge task, what parts should I replace and buy?

Thank you for checking this post out and providing feedback.

Motor info in my profile info listed below.
    Last edited by invisionz; 08-11-2022 at 02:03 PM.

2. Member
    PIN 87 is energized with 13.30V and when the up switched is pressed PIN 85 is supposed to be energized with 13.30V closing the relay switch allowing PIN 30 to receive 13.30V and move the TRIM UP. Same concepts applied to the trim down.

BUT, in the pic below you can see that PIN 85 is not receiving the 13.30V to actuate the trim motor via PIN 30.

This is why I think there is a problem with the trim up relay harness.

In a post below, I tested the continuity between PIN 30 and the connector to the trim motor connector, which passed. So I am thinking there is something that failed in the harness.

Photos

background.jpg
    13.30V

background.jpg
    NO POWER to activate TRIM UP

Mercury Pro XS - Optimax 200 HP DFI
    SN: 2B360028
    MODEL: 1200P73BD

Last edited by invisionz; 08-11-2022 at 04:51 PM. Reason: clarification

3. Member
    TROUBLESHOOTING COMPLETED

I have tested:

-RELAYS with multimeter both are good with 92 ohms each.

-RELAYS swapped them with each other, up with down, down with up. Both worked in the down harness, both did not workin the up harness.

-POWER to TRIM MOTOR, with relays in their harnesses and trim wires disconnected, used multimeter to test voltage when the switch is pressed up and down. Down has voltage and UP doesn’t.

-TRIM Motor separately, applied 12V and reversed polarity. Everything worked okay.

-FUSES unless there are some hidden or that I am not aware of they are good.

-HARNESS this is where I am stuck with the power issue on the up harness.

4. Member
    Troubleshooting RELAY wires to TRIM MOTOR Connections

UP RELAY - Tested PIN 30 and BLUE wire for continuity - PASSED
    DOWN RELAY - Tested PIN 30 and GREEN wire for continuity - PASSED

TRIM Relay & Motor Connectors-H.jpg

Trim UP Relay Harnesses-H.jpg

Trim DOWN Relay Harnesses-H.jpg

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the smaller blue w/white stripe wire at the relays when you move various switches to UP position. 12V+ power there?

YES: Replace BOTH RELAYS.

NO: Same at ALL boat switches? Yes: Harness or connector problem, NO: Isolate and locate switch problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you. I will test it tomorrow morning.

I have isolated the switch on the motor and tested it - everything checked out with the multimeter, continuity when button pressed up and down on the correct pins. I did not check the switches on the handle, steering column, and bow. I probably should check just for the sake of my sanity.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check the smaller blue w/white stripe wire at the relays when you move various switches to UP position. 12V+ power there?

YES: Replace BOTH RELAYS.

NO: Same at ALL boat switches? Yes: Harness or connector problem, NO: Isolate and locate switch problem.

Don,

Thank you again for your post.
    If I may ask….

I connected the multimeter and tested each blue-white striped wires and each had 13+ volts when each switch was operated (pressed the up switch).
    So I ordered two relays to replace the up and down relays.

Here is my question:
    When I swapped the up and down relays, the trim up still did not work.
    Q. Will replacing both relays correct the problem?

2nd question, pretty please…
    I am replacing the analog trim sender with a digital one to work with my Lowrance Live graphs.
    I read some posts that said to calibrate the trim when replacing the trim sender.
    Q. Is there a need to calibrate the trim (up, down, trailering)?

Thank you very much for taking the time.

8. Member
    Update:
    Removed the analog trim sender & trim limit kit, and replaced it with only the digital sender.
    And NOW my trim up and down is working and sounding way better than before.

Don’t know for sure, but in hindsight, I think it might have been something to do with the Trim Limit Kit that the analog trim sender used.

Does anyone know how to set the trim limits for the digital trim sender & Lowrance Graphs?
    Do I need to unplug the analog gauge in order to see it on the Lowrance Graphs?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You won't be able to set limits- you can, however, calibrate the trim READING in Smartcraft.

Analog Gauge should be dead in your case, as there is nothing to connect to the brown w/white stripe wire.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor