198RT Pros & Cons?

Looking at aluminum bass boats and trying to get feed back from owners. At this point considering Ranger, Avid, Vexus, maybe Xpress. I have owned a couple of 520s but most glass boats have priced me out of the market. Things such as stability, performance, dry compartments, rough water, draft? At this point I only know what the websites tell me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I find my boat is very stable.
    For a tin, I really like its performance. Because of where I fish, I hardly ever run it WOT. With all my stuff and 1/2 load of fuel, I can hit 57
    My compartments stay dry.
    Not to great in rough water, but then again it is a tin with more of a round nose as compared to a semi-vee bow.
    Lots of deck space.
    My rig does NOT have carpet, as I do go into Salt, Brackish and Fresh waters.
    Large gas tank
    Rear bilge area is very roomy. (3) class 31 AGM, (1) class 31 Cranking battery, Small Lithium Battery, Square Bucket, Spare Prop, Fuel/Water Separator, and still some room.
    The 150 Pro XS has been trouble free and easy on gas.

Cons:
    Ranger should have done a better job of wiring under the console. Looks like a rats nest.
    Some of the welds and weld beads look like crap.

*****Go to the TIN section and search there as there are many reviews on the boat*****

Overall I find it a very good boat. (Mind you, my boat is a 2019)
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    I really like fishing out of my 2021 RT198P. Stable when trolling motor down. Ample deck space. Compartments will not be as deep as you are used to in a glass boat. Nor will the compartments be completely water tight in a good rain. You can get in really skinny water if you want. It does not ride as well in heavy chop as a glass boat with more vee in the hull but honestly does pretty well for an aluminum. I can do 57-58mph by myself in good conditions at 5800rpm WOT with the regular (non Pro-XS) Merc 150 4S with a 22p Tempest +. I also run a 23p Bravo 1 FS and sometimes prefer it.

The RT aluminum Rangers get a bad rap. They get the job done well and cost less than the prettier and more expensive offering from Avid and Vexus. I am not AT ALL saying they are not nice boats as they look really well made. I however decided, right or wrong, that what they say they offer at a higher price point would not make me enjoy my fishing more nor help me catch more fish.

When I shopped and researched, I found the Ranger RT warranty to be much better then the competition... on paper anyway. While I had a few punch list items on the boat, I have worked through them. Some of them ended up being operator error and inexperience.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 08-11-2022 at 02:07 PM.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

4. Member
    Thanks, you mentioned salt water, what about the trailer in salt water or do you have aluminum trailer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    I find my boat is very stable.
    For a tin, I really like its performance. Because of where I fish, I hardly ever run it WOT. With all my stuff and 1/2 load of fuel, I can hit 57
    My compartments stay dry.
    Not to great in rough water, but then again it is a tin with more of a round nose as compared to a semi-vee bow.
    Lots of deck space.
    My rig does NOT have carpet, as I do go into Salt, Brackish and Fresh waters.
    Large gas tank
    Rear bilge area is very roomy. (3) class 31 AGM, (1) class 31 Cranking battery, Small Lithium Battery, Square Bucket, Spare Prop, Fuel/Water Separator, and still some room.
    The 150 Pro XS has been trouble free and easy on gas.

Cons:
    Ranger should have done a better job of wiring under the console. Looks like a rats nest.
    Some of the welds and weld beads look like crap.

*****Go to the TIN section and search there as there are many reviews on the boat*****

Overall I find it a very good boat. (Mind you, my boat is a 2019)

5. Member
    Pros, big boat with more deck space than a 21 foot bass boat and it takes up less room, great platform to fish out of.
    Cons, underpowered even with the 150 hp, needs a 175 or 200, crappy livewell system, a boat like that should have two pumps fill and recerc both on timers, also overpriced for what you get.
    If I was getting another aluminum an Express X19 with the 200HP SHO is what I would get.

6. Member
    Stability is very important to an old guy. Vexus seems to be a nice boat but they seem to be be extremely proud of them. You can get a nice 19' glass boat for about the same price as a Vexus tin
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyred View Post
    I really like fishing out of my 2021 RT198P. Stable when trolling motor down. Ample deck space. Compartments will not be as deep as you are used to in a glass boat. Nor will the compartments be completely water tight in a good rain. You can get in really skinny water if you want. It does not ride as well in heavy chop as a glass boat with more vee in the hull but honestly does pretty well for an aluminum. I can do 57-58mph by myself in good conditions at 5800rpm WOT with the regular (non Pro-XS) Merc 150 4S with a 22p Tempest +. I also run a 23p Bravo 1 FS and sometimes prefer it.

The RT aluminum Rangers get a bad rap. They get the job done well and cost less than the prettier and more expensive offering from Avid and Vexus. I am not AT ALL saying they are not nice boats as they look really well made. I however decided, right or wrong, that what they say they offer at a higher price point would not make me enjoy my fishing more nor help me catch more fish.

When I shopped and researched, I found the Ranger RT warranty to be much better then the competition... on paper anyway. While I had a few punch list items on the boat, I have worked through them. Some of them ended up being operator error and inexperience.

But Johnny Morris is trying to ruin Ranger... and the whole bass boat industry in fact... so keep that in mind!

My rig came with an aluminum trailer.
    I put slip sticks on the bunks.
    I have removed the brake system as those go to crap very quickly.
    I have removed the wheel and put a coat of Anti-seize on everything.
    I replaced the lugs nuts with stainless steel lug nuts, and yes there is some anti-seize on the stud threads too. (Those who experienced what salt water does to mechanical fasteners understand)

I very rarely go into the ocean, but do run the ICW, Cape Fear and other Brackish and Salt Water areas.

Yes my stability gone to crap. I now sit down when fishing and always wear a Inflatable PFD.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

8. Member
    Thanks. Salt is like a termite for metal.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2jerrylee View Post
    Looking at aluminum bass boats and trying to get feed back from owners. At this point considering Ranger, Avid, Vexus, maybe Xpress. I have owned a couple of 520s but most glass boats have priced me out of the market. Things such as stability, performance, dry compartments, rough water, draft? At this point I only know what the websites tell me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I just went thru all of this in the spring. Here's what I found:Pro's- Cost. Everything is far cheaper (TM's, electronics, motor maint, etc) Can tow with almost any vehical Quick clean-up/ detailing. Fuel should be less Should be able to get into places a glass boat wouldnt dareCon's- Not stable as a glass boat Gets blown around in the wind.After all the going back and forth in my mind, I know I would regret my decision if I went from 520 tank to a tin boat. I live in a windy area and a tin boat wouldnt work for me. Im better off keeping what I have and bring it back to showroom condition for a lot less money. Motor not included.

10. Member
    The sides of these boats are too vertical(not enough slant) they will wet you bad.

11. Member
    Had not considered that.