Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    We have service vehicles that have in excess of 400k miles and have never ran the oil called for by manufacturer. That being said, manufacturer’s are in the business to sell cars or trucks. They get massive tax credits for meeting fuel mileage guidelines, not how long engine performs for owner of said vehicle.
    Since the topic has veered off subject a bit I'll add this.....

I replaced the engine in my F150 with an AER reman..... AER fixes all the OVERengineering of the original Ford design. My buddies Ford dealership did the install.....along with new AC, new pumps, alternator, etc etc etc. Obviously I want this engine to last.

Over the last 15 years I've gotten to know the wrench experts back in the shop very, very well. I like to hang out there and try and learn a few things from them....they REALLY know Ford engines. Ford recommended 5-20, but, interestingly enough Ford in Australia recommends 10-30 (I like to read) in the exact same engine (as did the expert mechanic who did all the work on my truck). I asked the why?? Too thin and the 5-20 was to meet CAFE standards..... explanation was straight from Ford Detroit.

Also, as I replaced pretty much EVERYthing (including the suspension) in an effort to being it back to as close to "new" as possible, I asked about the tranny. Ford stated the tranny fluid was designed for the "lifetime" of the truck, but, it had 276k miles on it. So, while everything was out I figured why not switch in a new transmission. They asked me this, "does it shift properly?" The answer was yes......"then keep using it."

My next question was, "should I change out the fluid?" Their answer was an emphatic "NO," So I asked why not? They said if I did it there was a strong possibility that I'd have instant problems due to the the process of changing in new fluid, and the fluid itself, breaking loose dirt and debris and creating leaks, shifting issues, etc etc. So I obviously didn't change out the fluid and it's still shifting well to this day 40k miles later.
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 08-15-2022 at 07:46 PM.

2. Member
    Actually it isn’t dirt, debris would be the culprit, clutch material. Now we change all of our service vehicles, ford and gm, 30k miles, rear diff is changed at 50k. One ford E250 that has a 5.4l and a 5 speed has been rebuilt twice, but it has 475k miles on it. A shaft broke first time and the torque converter failed second
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    Actually it isn’t dirt, debris would be the culprit, clutch material. Now we change all of our service vehicles, ford and gm, 30k miles, rear diff is changed at 50k. One ford E250 that has a 5.4l and a 5 speed has been rebuilt twice, but it has 475k miles on it. A shaft broke first time and the torque converter failed second
    hehehe....i think that's exactly what they said Ron....my interpretation and memory aren't all that great. 😉

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    Since the topic has veered off subject a bit I'll add this.....

I replaced the engine in my F150 with an AER reman..... AER fixes all the OVERengineering of the original Ford design. My buddies Ford dealership did the install.....along with new AC, new pumps, alternator, etc etc etc. Obviously I want this engine to last.

Over the last 15 years I've gotten to know the wrench experts back in the shop very, very well. I like to hang out there and try and learn a few things from them....they REALLY know Ford engines. Ford recommended 5-20, but, interestingly enough Ford in Australia recommends 10-30 (I like to read) in the exact same engine (as did the expert mechanic who did all the work on my truck). I asked the why?? Too thin and the 5-20 was to meet CAFE standards..... explanation was straight from Ford Detroit.

Also, as I replaced pretty much EVERYthing (including the suspension) in an effort to being it back to as close to "new" as possible, I asked about the tranny. Ford stated the tranny fluid was designed for the "lifetime" of the truck, but, it had 276k miles on it. So, while everything was out I figured why not switch in a new transmission. They asked me this, "does it shift properly?" The answer was yes......"then keep using it."

My next question was, "should I change out the fluid?" Their answer was an emphatic "NO," So I asked why not? They said if I did it there was a strong possibility that I'd have instant problems due to the the process of changing in new fluid, and the fluid itself, breaking loose dirt and debris and creating leaks, shifting issues, etc etc. So I obviously didn't change out the fluid and it's still shifting well to this day 40k miles later.
    Lighter lubricants = less friction and heat. Lower wear and fuel economy.
    Plus they flow faster, they get up top much more quickly upon engine start.
    With lower tolerances, and synthetic compositions, film break is unlikely.

There's more to it than meets the eye ... it's not just CAFE. It's chemistry.
    And VVT engines are designed to use viscosity to drive timing as well.

In respect to transmission fluid ... it definitely should be serviced at intervals.
    Once you've passed a certain point, it's best not to touch it, just wait for it.
    As noted, it's not "dirt" it's debris and broken down additives, a "gunk" cake.
    A mass fresh fluid service may trigger a failure, as a result of the cleaning.

5. Member
    Yes, forgive me for saying "dirt"....hard to get dirt into a closed transmission that's never been serviced, much less opened up. I'm at the end of a 90+ hour stretch so my brain isn't functioning tip top....

Having reviewed my own post it was 5w-30 in Australia.....not "10"......best I remember as its been 4 years since we/i rebuilt the truck.

However, they stated,100%, that the reason for the Ford recommendations being different in the USA vs Australia was CAFE.....and that wasn't their opinion it was direct from Ford.

In respect to transmission fluid ... it definitely should be serviced at intervals.
    Once you've passed a certain point, it's best not to touch it, just wait for it.
    As noted, it's not "dirt" it's debris and broken down additives, a "gunk" cake.
    A mass fresh fluid service may trigger a failure, as a result of the cleaning.[/QUOTE]

That's EXACTLY what they stated Jim......100%.....I totally get the reasoning.

I bought the truck at 207k from a long time trusted friend. I knew the truck and pretty well.....wonderful condition, but, high miles on a 5.4 3 valve Triton....made me a bit nervous. But the deal was really good and it was in pretty darn good condition. I bought it knowing I'd end up dropping an engine in it at some point.

I still thought NOT servicing the transmission was a bad idea, but, once the reasoning was explained it made total sense. Still operating perfectly to date, but, I know the crash is inevitable. However, getting another 50k to 100k out of it is a pretty big bonus....

6. Member
    Old school mechanics always believed it was a bad idea to service transmissions. As clutch material would build up in fluid and if u changed it would ultimately fail. We have always serviced everything at described intervals. We had bought a new tractor, 130hp cab. First service came due and my dad freaked when I serviced all fluids and filters first time. He said good grief it costs far too much. I said pop no problem we will just not service anymore and just wait for it to fail, new one is only 95k. He looked at me real funny and said. Ok son u win
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Member
    Man it's all great, my brain stays taxed 90 percent of the time
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

8. Member
    Plus that truck of yours is bad ass, looks amazing
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

9. Member
    Old school mechanics always believed it was a bad idea to service transmissions. As clutch material would build up in fluid and if u changed it would ultimately fail. We have always serviced everything at described intervals. We had bought a new tractor, 130hp cab. First service came due and my dad freaked when I serviced all fluids and filters first time. He said good grief it costs far too much. I said pop no problem we will just not service anymore and just wait for it to fail, new one is only 95k. He looked at me real funny and said. Ok son u win
    Hehehe hehehe hehehe.....good stuff right there....hehehe

10. Member
    Plus that truck of yours is bad ass, looks amazing
    Thank you Brother Ronny.....👍 Not as many hours as the boat redo, but, still plenty....hehehe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123