Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hydraulic Steering Fluid lifespan

Does anyone completely change out their steering fluid after x number of years? My boat is 20 years old, steering is fine, but I just read a couple articles that recommend changing out the hydraulic fluid (marine) every 5 years or so. I'm going to do mine this fall anyway, because it's NEVER been done, but just wondered what might be the norm?? And at that point should I go all in and replace whatever "seals" there are, even if nothing is wrong?
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

2. Member
    I can’t give you an absolute but at least these days most hydraulic fluid has some additives in it that will eventually wear out. The other thing you have nailed perfectly is that if you change the fluid, you may find the seals will not hold the clean new fluid. That’s just a little personal experience from automotive type situations, not specifically hydraulic fluid.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

mine has not been for 15 years or so

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I can’t give you an absolute but at least these days most hydraulic fluid has some additives in it that will eventually wear out. The other thing you have nailed perfectly is that if you change the fluid, you may find the seals will not hold the clean new fluid. That’s just a little personal experience from automotive type situations, not specifically hydraulic fluid.
    Hey, You are right there. Years ago I switched a Corvette from regular to synthetic oil...It never used oil before but sure did with the synthetic....
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

5. Member
    I'd service, and rebuild it, during the winter when your down anyway.
    The fluid is mineral based, molecular size is the same, no issue there.
    However, the fresh additive pack will likely cause leaking if not rebuilt.
    It will clean away the old broken down additives, potential for leaking.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    I'd service, and rebuild it, during the winter when your down anyway.
    The fluid is mineral based, molecular size is the same, no issue there.
    However, the fresh additive pack will likely cause leaking if not rebuilt.
    It will clean away the old broken down additives, potential for leaking.
    What's involved with a rebuilt Jim?
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

7. Member
    I don’t want to jinx myself but I’ve had mine for 27 years and have only had to change out the seals on the steering linkage.

8. Member
    I agree with Jim 100% he just said it much better than me, and knows the fluid, I did't want to be wrong and give bad advice. Like Dennyg above you might be able to change fluid and be okay, but I always tend to expect the worse and would plan new seals to keep in the new fluid. If the old ones are compromised at all, will likely start to leak sooner than later in my experience. I would replace whatever is serviceable, but sadly I cannot tell you what all is involved in the job, Jim will probably know
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

9. Member
    Fluid needs to be changed in my opinion at least after 6 or seven years. All fluid will get some moisture in it and you will also see it discolor. After changing it always seems to be smoother to me, brake fluid in trailers needs to be changed more often than that. Gets hot, u back it in water and rapidly cool calipers and fluid, it absorbs water every time
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Member
    I’ve had mine for 24 years now and just seals also 5 years ago

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritondon150 View Post
    I’ve had mine for 24 years now and just seals also 5 years ago
    by Seals, I assume you mean the ones on piston rods at engine end? This kit?
    rebuild kit.jpg
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

12. Member
    Yes

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    What's involved with a rebuilt Jim?
    Seals and rings unless you find something amiss. It's probably fine otherwise, if working properly.
    Fair warning, you could end up with a pump issue. Never a good idea to run hydraulic fluid so long.

AeroShell Fluid 41 is cleaner than a typical fluid, available at nearly any shop or airport FBO center.
    Phillips 66 X/C Hydraulic Fluid 5606J another option. A bit less popular, same specification for less.

14. Member
    If it ain't broke ,,,, Don't fix it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    If it ain't broke ,,,, Don't fix it.
    At this point, it might be the best bet going IF it's working fully/properly.
    And the OP understands, and has a plan, for a sudden death event later.
    Obviously, routine maintenance is key. Prevent breakdowns, it's cheaper.

16. Member
    What does Teleflex recommend? What is the service life on the fluid in a closed no heat environment? Many a cup of worms have been opened messing with thing that arent broke, Sudden death event plan? yea we all do.Whoever does the maintenance Just make sure they don't use the cheap Ebay kits, That is a can of worms.
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    At this point, it might be the best bet going IF it's working fully/properly.
    And the OP understands, and has a plan, for a sudden death event later.
    Obviously, routine maintenance is key. Prevent breakdowns, it's cheaper.
    Last edited by swamprat; 08-12-2022 at 11:17 AM.

17. Member
    Thanks for all replies. Since I'm big on preventive maintenance, this winter I will change fluid and seals. I think 20 years is too long to expect anything to go trouble free.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    Thanks for all replies. Since I'm big on preventive maintenance, this winter I will change fluid and seals. I think 20 years is too long to expect anything to go trouble free.
    Its not a hard job at all to change those seals. I do recommend buying Teleflex parts. I saw a lot of bad reviews on aftermarket stuff. 20 years old. I would buy the seals

When I got my boat those seals were leaking and I was told all kind of things such as use marvel mystery oil, hydraulic fluid, transmission fluid ect. while I'm sure those will work I went with the Teleflex fluid. its pricey but to me peace of mind makes it worth it.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    Its not a hard job at all to change those seals. I do recommend buying Teleflex parts. I saw a lot of bad reviews on aftermarket stuff. 20 years old. I would buy the seals

When I got my boat those seals were leaking and I was told all kind of things such as use marvel mystery oil, hydraulic fluid, transmission fluid ect. while I'm sure those will work I went with the Teleflex fluid. its pricey but to me peace of mind makes it worth it.
    I believe you're right about aftermarket stuff...been there before.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post

I'm really sure that Teleflex (Baystar) fluid is produced by a leading manufacturer of hydraulic fluid.
    They don't make it themselves. No refinery, no blending plant. Just like Yamaha, Mercury, Honda, etc.

And, yes, I'm positive. There's no reason not to use any approved MIL-PRF-5606J fluid, just pick one.
    AeroShell Fluid 41, Phillips 66 X/C, Mobil Aero HFA, Texaco HFA or Chevron Aviation Fluid A. All good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast