Thread: No-See-Ums

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    What were you trying to stop? I'm good with anything except the No-See-Ums, they're brutal in town.
    No-See-Ums

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    No-See-Ums
    I don't think all No-See-Ums are actually the same gnat.
    The oak gnats don't seem to be phased by the Avon lady.
    I'll try the froo froo spray and see if it does any better.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Insects!
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

4. Banned
    Did you shoot in the Zone 4 championship? And high 2 was always my toughest target to hit, I either smoked it or missed it all together. Never had bugs when I was up there...

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    Went and shot a big skeet tournament in Savana, GA. Those somebitches are terrible. Hard to hit a target while you’re getting eaten alive. I loved Savana, but you can have the no see’ems
    Did you shoot in the Zone 4 Championship? And High 2 was always my toughest target

6. Member
    I was doing some stuff in North Dakota, those monsters would come out about 430 in the afternoon, would actually go through anything, dammmnnn
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Member
    Well I Know This Works on Skeeters and Ticks, not sure about the No Che ems.

Sawyers Spray. Or make your own by going to Tractor Supply and get a bottle of Permethrin. Used for spraying the Cattle Barns to keep the Flys and Skeeters away.

Do Not Spray Directly on yourself!!!

Mix about 1 oz to 20 oz of water in a Spray Bottle. Hang up your clothes outside and Spray them Down to WET. Let dry. Stuff lasts through several washings and will work for up to 45-90 days after being sprayed.

Once I started using this I have never got another Tick on me while in the woods. Skeeters tend to stay aways as well.

8. Banned
    cheap cigar

Did you shoot in the Zone 4 championship? And high 2 was always my toughest target to hit, I either smoked it or missed it all together. Never had bugs when I was up there...
    No, I pretty sure it was the Masters. We love sea food and the water.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

Did you shoot in the Zone 4 Championship? And High 2 was always my toughest target
    High 2 can be a bugger for some people. Had a great friend that lived in Arkansas that could have been atop level shot except for high 2. I pulled targets for him one day while he was practicing. He shot a full case of 20ga at nothing but high 2. He was one of very few I couldn’t help. My bad target was low 5. Oh how that one cost me
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    High 2 can be a bugger for some people. Had a great friend that lived in Arkansas that could have been atop level shot except for high 2. I pulled targets for him one day while he was practicing. He shot a full case of 20ga at nothing but high 2. He was one of very few I couldn’t help. My bad target was low 5. Oh how that one cost me
    I had a terrible time with High 2 until a buddy showed me a way to shoot it that worked well for me. got me to AA in all 4 gauges

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroWhoop View Post
    This going to sound odd. An older man saw my oldest son and I many years ago on Toledo Bend, we were being eat alive by them. He told us to vanilla flavor/extract and rub it on. It worked, you have to reapply occasionally as it wears off. Try it, it worked then and does now! Those things have to have teeth bigger than they are!!!
    I have found that using the el cheepo vanilla body spray from DG or Wall World works great for most all these. I've used the Buggins, extract,etc but found the other approach works perhaps even better at a fraction of the cost.

13. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    I thought this was going to be thread about chiggers. Are you saying there are flying chiggers?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NebRig View Post
    I thought this was going to be thread about chiggers. Are you saying there are flying chiggers?
    If we had flying chiggers, I'd not be living here. No dang way!
    And, actually, they don't bite. They spit on you and it burns.

15. Member
    Are they like oak mites ? We had them real bad few years ago ! Lucky not so much last few years .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    Are they like oak mites ? We had them real bad few years ago ! Lucky not so much last few years .
    No-See-Ums fly, I don't think they'd be the same, since you mentioned mites.
    Chiggers are tiny red bugs, they are mites. And they're in oak trees, grass, etc.

Thankfully they don't live around here. This part of the country is pretty free of flying, biting insects except for wasps. Ticks are bad too.

18. Member
    2nd the vanilla extract (or imitation vanilla extract--loads cheaper). Toledo Bend also, grocery store in Hemphill had cases of it that year.

19. Member
    The simplest way to get rid of all pest mentioned is to simply lite a Therma-cell and lay it on your deck. It will clear the boat of all nats , mosquitos, and any other bugs bothering you.

20. Member
    Post 56 ---Oh believe me we know what chiggers are !!!! They are horrible here !!!
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast