Replacing the fuel level sending unit on an LS185

Just went through this ordeal, thought I would post in case anyone needs some info in the future. 1994 LS185

The fuel tank is behind and below the seat. Runs the full width. The sending unit is accessed through the middle warning plate behind the bench seat. Even though it folds forward, I removed my seat to give me more room. After removing the warning plate, there it will be....on top of the tank, with maybe 4-5 inches of clearance overhead. It literally looks like they installed everything and then put the top cap on. First, you will need to remove all the hard fiberglass strings hanging from overhead just waiting to claw and scratch your hands. Be sure to lay a rag or paper towel on the tank to catch the mess. I used diagonal wire cutters to cut as close as I could then used a coarse file to grind the rest off. Now I can get my hand in.

It is recommended to drain all fuel and the tank be dry before doing this. Well....I had 10 gallons in the tank....I pulled it out in the driveway, just in case, and had fire extinguisher ready. Don't create sparks.

Next....more brilliance. The fuel pickup is just to the port side of the sending unit.....and the fuel line goes right across the sending unit to the starboard side. The fuel vent port is just starboard of the sending unit, and the fuel vent line also goes right across the sending unit, to the port side vent. Both lines had to be removed. Of course they were stuck fast from being on there 28 years. Had to slice a split in each to get them loose. BEFORE YOU CUT...... make sure you have enough slack to reattach.....otherwise you'll be running a new line. I considered a new fuel line anyway, but mine was in remarkably good shape. Inside there was no deterioration.

The sending unit came out surprisingly well with some manipulation. Make note of the orientation of the arm. I wanted to go back with a Reed type. However, the module on top of these units prevented me from doing so due to the affore mentioned line routing. I could have broke loose both fittings and repositioned, but to me that is just inviting a leak. Leave well enough alone. I went back with the same type, same length. The float is now inline with the shaft rather than being at a 90 degree angle, which made it harder to go in....but it went. I have my doubts that a reed type would fit. Remember....only 4-5 inches of clearance overhead. The screws supplied were of a different thread, so I reused the old. Speaking of screws....it is impossible to push the screws through the gasket and start them. Out comes the unit again. I threaded the screws into the gasket, then went back with it. Also note that the screwholes are not equal distance. Fun. Reattch wires, reattach fuel line and vent line.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

2. Member
    When I had my Hydrasport I took the big fiberglass cover off when I worked on the tank,made it sooo much easier.