Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Small group study

Any book recommendations for 3-5 members?
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

2. Banned
    Strength to love , Martin Luther King jr . May not be what your looking for idk . I found out how much of a Christian that man was reading that book , no one talks about that . I can’t imagine dealing with what he did and still staying close to god and not letting hate take him over amazing. We did it in a small group

3. Member
    We are currently studying " How God Makes Men" by Patrick Morley who has written several Books including Man In The Mirror.

I highly recommend How God Makes Men.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

4. Member
    1st thru 3rd John :)
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieLure View Post
    Any book recommendations for 3-5 members?
    I have another book that I strongly recommend: Heaven, Hell, and Life After Death by Kay Arthur, Bob & Diane Vereen.

Our Wednesday night service started this six week study tonight and it consist of six lessons lasting about 40 minutes each.

It works best with a moderator ( In this case you Chris ) with participation by each person in the class. I seldom get this enthused about a book for small groups but am convinced that you and each person in the group will enjoy this book immensely.

You can pm me or call me ( if you would like to know more about it Gary Gabel (251) 586-1306
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

Thanks for the recommendations!!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

7. Member
    Since you may have read it already even several times, however, I believe that the Book of Romans could make for a very interesting group discussion, since I am sure there would be variable perceptions and opinions.

May the Spirit, that proceed from the Father and the Son, be your guide in your studies, whatever you may choose.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Since you may have read it already even several times, however, I believe that the Book of Romans could make for a very interesting group discussion, since I am sure there would be variable perceptions and opinions.

May the Spirit, that proceed from the Father and the Son, be your guide in your studies, whatever you may choose.
    Great advice! Romans is one of my favorites.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Great advice! Romans is one of my favorites.
    For you my brethren, since you have walked as Paul said in the book of Romans once as a child but now as a godly man , might I be bold to recommend the book of Zechariah.
    A powerful book indeed.
    Be blessed

10. Member
    Yes, many truths are proclaimed from Joshua to Jesus riding on a donkey to Judas betraying Him for thirty pieces of silver.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Yes, many truths are proclaimed from Joshua to Jesus riding on a donkey to Judas betraying Him for thirty pieces of silver.
    Amen and amen.

12. Member

13. Member
    [QUOTE=n2ratfishin;12639268]We have been involved in a small group going through:

Very interesting books, though I am a bit taken aback about this' Christian Influence in a Post-Christian World'.

I know that many view the current situations as being near or at the precipice of end of times, but I do not know of anyone that believes that we are in a post Christianity world.

BTW, what is your small group study about??

14. Member
    We are going through both books and trying to put into practice the suggested dialogs. Reading and talking about it are much different than working through ways to not fly off the handle and look for common ground.

As for the "in post christian world"

"In a 2020 survey by the Pew Research Center, 65% of adults in the United States identified themselves as Christians. They were 75% in 2015 70.6% in 2014, 78% in 2012, 81.6% in 2001, and 85% in 1990. About 62% of those polled claim to be members of a church congregation." Per Wiki.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    We are going through both books and trying to put into practice the suggested dialogs. Reading and talking about it are much different than working through ways to not fly off the handle and look for common ground.

As for the "in post christian world"

"In a 2020 survey by the Pew Research Center, 65% of adults in the United States identified themselves as Christians. They were 75% in 2015 70.6% in 2014, 78% in 2012, 81.6% in 2001, and 85% in 1990. About 62% of those polled claim to be members of a church congregation." Per Wiki.
    The first underlined part is what worries me, especially the last 2 words, but I am a great believer in good productive dialog, as I believe the later part seems to identify.

I don't prescribe to surveys or polls. since either one can be greatly manipulated based on the data gathered or how the data was edited.
    When Cephas preached at the temple steps and was cast twice into prison after James was beheaded with 2 layers of guards between him and freedom, he could have looked at it as the end of the road for himself and Christianity, however, his believes were so deep that he was sound of sleep to the point that the angel had to hit him in the side cause the bright light did not awaken him. (Acts 12: 6-10)
    BTW, though I am a bondservant of Christ, I am not a member of any congregation, though Christ's Spirit keeps my service at St Paul Lutheran in Hilton, even though I am not a Lutheran, with whom I have had some very heated conversations about some believes, and the pastor was part of one of my youth group many yrs ago.

16. Member
    [QUOTE=digthemup;12640305]
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    but I do not know of anyone that believes that we are in a post Christianity world.
    That depends on how you define "Christianity". If you're talking about those who CLAIM to be Christians, then we definitely are not in a post world. If you're talking about people who actually LIVE a Christian life even when alone and out of view of their peers, I would say Christianity is absolutely near extinction. CLAIMING and ACTING are worlds away from actually BEING. Ask yourself why a conversation about the need to be intolerant of child predators within the church would get shut down on a message board intended for Christian dialog? Why would any true Christian not want to shed light on such a problem? The preference to ignore in it is not borne of a heart seeking Gods will.

Ask yourself why the topic of my posts resulted in them being shut down and deleted while posts in the lounge can include comments with implied profanity, pictures of scantily clad women, and sexual inuendo, and yet it's acceptable. Remember, the same moderator who closes threads here allows those others to continue. Now ask yourself what the state of REAL Christianity really is.

17. Member
    Okie,

I believe that Al was clear for the reason he shut down our conversation, which was based on my personal believes about a certain church organization. Further, I strongly believe that child predictors have been around much longer than the church and will continue to be around long after in many aspects of society's circles. The matter has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum and nation wide, especially with the issues that were brought to light in various churches. In my opinion, further discussion is not going to change things until those in charge that have created total confusion in morality and gender by imposing laws contrarian to nature itself decide that it is not about getting votes but running a country.
    Today, it seems that some people are ashamed of telling the truth in fear of being accused of prejudice.

18. Member
    digthemup,

As for the topic being discussed "ad nauseam." Why does that matter? Even though it's still happening we should just go silent since it's already been discussed? All the bible verses that get posted day after day after day after day have been discussed ad nauseam as well, so why is that different? I agree that child predators, and sinners in general existed before the church and will continue long after. Should the bible stop being discussed? See how selective you are with your logic? There are no bible verses that say to remain silent on the issues within the church. Quite the opposite, it deserves a more concentrated effort, more acknowledgement, and louder voices.

It is saddening to see the discussion snuffed out as if that makes it disappear.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie74133 View Post
    digthemup,

As for the topic being discussed "ad nauseam." Why does that matter? Even though it's still happening we should just go silent since it's already been discussed? All the bible verses that get posted day after day after day after day have been discussed ad nauseam as well, so why is that different? I agree that child predators, and sinners in general existed before the church and will continue long after. Should the bible stop being discussed? See how selective you are with your logic? There are no bible verses that say to remain silent on the issues within the church. Quite the opposite, it deserves a more concentrated effort, more acknowledgement, and louder voices.

It is saddening to see the discussion snuffed out as if that makes it disappear.
    Okie,
    You may have missed the point about why the previous discussion was terminated, or perhaps I was not clear. Nevertheless, I am not trying to snuff out any discussion, since I am agreeing with you that this matter is not going to disappear, not in the 'church' nor in the rest of the world. If you strongly believe that further discussion of it will bring forth resolutions on how to resolve the issue, please PM me so that we can discuss it, and perhaps we can figure out a discussion applicable to all aspects of child abuse in various parts of society at large.

You are correct that there is no verse that stifles issues within the church, but it make it clear that we are to first confront the offender ourselves, if it does not work, we are to take 2 witnesses with us to again discuss the matter over with the offender, and last step would be the head or directors. I am sure that you may not agree with the validity of such steps, but as you said yourself, any church that is lead by true believers should be able to remove such persons from their flock, though I am sure sadly they will find a different venue to perpetrate.

20. Member
    digthemup,

I also think we agree on this matter and I wasn't implying that you want to snuff out the conversation. I never thought it was you deleting threads. As for why the previous thread was terminated, I assume it was because specific denominations were named? I said from the start the problem isn't limited to any certain church or denomination. I don't remember who brought up specific church organizations, but I do think it's ridiculously sensitive to shut down a discussion based on that. In fact, it's that exact tribalism that's at the root of the whole problem. That's why the path you outlined to handle these things biblically breaks down early in the process. I completely agree with the steps involved and I'm not sure why you would think I wouldn't. The issues is that those steps are not being followed. Saving face for the tribe becomes the priority. In fact, that's a form of what we witnessed right here when those threads were deleted.

Our society has lots of issues we aren't likely to solve and the "never give up" and "keep pressing forward" mottos are proudly proclaimed...unless the problem is from within. Then it's not good to talk about too much.

Regardless, I won't be posting anything further on this topic or any other. Peace to you all.
    Last edited by Okie74133; 08-24-2022 at 04:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast