Thread: Z20 lift

Banned

Z20 lift

New to me, bought back in February. It has the evinrude eyec 225 and after the old SEI gear case went out and after waiting for a new L2 I found a very nice M2 so I canceled the L2 and put the M2 on.

I'm running s 25" raker on it but seems it's not getting much lift. I'll be home tomorrow to check the prop to pad and see where it's at. From my tach I'm getting the rpms up to 6000. The new gearcase has 1.86 gears. Anyone on here help me get a good starting point. It has a 10" manual jack plate.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    3 inches prop to pad would be a good starting point for that setup. The Z20 is considered somewhat of a flat-running hull, just so you know. Engine height will be important to good top end performance, but a prop with strong lift even more so. The original Raker prop, when in tip top condition, is an excellent prop for lift. The Raker II a little less so. If you cared to experiment with props, the Fury 3 typically lifts well, although you would need a different hub kit for that. You might also check with Mark Croxton at Mark’s Props for his take on propping.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    As John said, the Z20 runs pretty flat. I found for overall performance that a four-blade prop hits the sweet spot. It will also improve ride as you have better lift over a wider range of throttle settings and you won't have to "over-drive" it in rough conditions just to stay on plane. I ran a Trophy on my Z20 / Opti. Not sure what to recommend for the Evinrude.
    Last edited by ericm; 08-10-2022 at 09:10 AM.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

Bravo 1 XS worked pretty well on my HPDI equipped Z21.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    On 4-blade props [Evinrude] I ran the Croxton Razor 4XL with excellent results. My experience was with Z520s….

6. Banned
    Thank yall. If any of yall know what's about the milage at WOT? I've tried to research and can only find an old video on YouTube that has causing at 3000 rpms to give 200 miles. There is a place I'd like to run 49 miles on way.

I ran a ETEC 225 on an ‘06 Z20 since it was new. I sold it 2 months ago. That rig would sip gas at 3 to 4,000 RPM. Going 100 miles with a full tank of gas would not have worried me at all as long as I didn’t WOT. BTW, I had the best luck with a Raker ll for hole shot and overall performance.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

8. Member
    Fury 4 25p
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

9. Banned
    Thank yall. If any of yall know what's about the milage at WOT? I've tried to research and can only find an old video on YouTube that has causing at 3000 rpms to give 200 miles. There is a place I'd like to run 49 miles on way.

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    That’s a question [wot mileage] you could ask in the Evinrude forum, Tyler, but there are a lot of variables. On flat water, I’d still guess you will see mid-2s for wot mileage, something like 2.5 etc. As noted, slowing down just a bit increases mileage substantially. You should be able to run 50 mph and get over 3+ mpg with a well-tuned E-Tec.

WOT is going to typically burn 10 percent of your HP an hour. 250 Horsepower WOT equals 25 gallons an hour. It will vary a little but will be very close to that figure…your MPH will give you your approximate range.

12. Banned
    Thank yall for the info, I really appreciate all the answer