Mega Live TargetLock control head setup for Helix questions

On page 42 in the manual step 5 says to confirm Mega Live, Mega TL and GPS + Heading Sensor are listed as connected.
    My Helix does not list "GPS + Heading Sensor" on the Helix Accessory test, it is connected but just says "GPS". Is this okay, just a change after they printed manual?

On step 6 it says to "confirm that External GPS is displayed and the fix type indicates Enhanced or 3D"
    My Helix shows 3D fix Internal GPS, I can't figure out how to change it.

I want to get this thing on the water, but I really need some guidance before I take it out, and I know this is the place to get answers.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    If you have an external GPS with Heading Sensor (AS GPS HS) puck, then select that as your GPS source under the Network Source Tab. It will then show up under the Accessory Test tab as "GPS + Heading Sensor" as well as your GPS Diagnostics tab. If you don't have this external GPS puck, then select the Ultrex GPS puck vice the internal Helix GPS receiver as your GPS source, as the Ultrex puck has a Heading Sensor (compass) too. Although, when I use my Ultrex GPS puck, my Accessory Test tab will just say "GPS" (no HS).
    Lt Col, USAF, Ret., 34 years Active Duty, Desert Storm/Iraq/Afghanistan combat veteran
    2015 Ranger Z520C, 2024 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird Solix, Mega 360/Mega Live w/Target Lock, Ultrex MSI+

3. Member
    Data1960, Does the Helix you use to view/control the ML/TL indicate "GPS + Heading Sensor" on the Helix Accessory test and identified as "External GPS/ Enhanced or 3D" on the GPS Diagnostic View when the ML/TL is active/in use? I thought that the TargetLock has sort of the same type heading sensor set up that the Ultrex (I can't remember ever looking at those screens) uses for spot lock and could be identified in the screens of the thumbnails above.

4. Member
    In the last picture you can see the trolling motor at the bottom of the list. I don't have a Target Lock yet but I select the trolling motor as my Heading Sensor/GPS on my Helix
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

The Minnkota puck is a heading sensor only--iPilot in the top of the motor is GPS. The current software shows it as Trolling Motor Int. in the Network Source menu.

The display's internal GPS antenna is listed as GPS in the Accessory Test menu and as Int. in the Network Source menu.

The AS GPS HS is listed as GPS+Heading Sensor and replaces GPS in the Accessory Test menu and as Ext. in the Network Source menu.

A AS GRP or AS GR50 is listed as Ext. in the Network Source menu. Neither will be listed in the Accessory Test menu other than GPS which can be the internal or external GPS antenna.

The Target Lock puck is a heading sensor only and is not listed since TL doesn't have GPS, just MEGA Live TL is listed in the Accessory Test menu.

This is 4 displays, two AS GPS HS, one AS GR50, and iPilot LINK providing 8 choices as the GPS source.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Only when I select the AS GPS HS as my GPS source will the "GPS + Heading Sensor" show on the Helix Accessory Test screen. My GPS diagnostic screen will show " Ethernet GPS under source and Fix Type is 3D Fix. If I select the Ultrex GPS puck, it will show source as External with 3D fix. You can't select the TL Heading Sensor at all. Good luck.
    Lt Col, USAF, Ret., 34 years Active Duty, Desert Storm/Iraq/Afghanistan combat veteran
    2015 Ranger Z520C, 2024 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird Solix, Mega 360/Mega Live w/Target Lock, Ultrex MSI+

7. Member
    I am also having a setup issue with TL but my problem is Trolling motor is showing UnConnected so that being said I have no option for Minn Kota Steer. Does anyone know what could cause this issue? System: Helix SI G4N, Helix SI G3N, Mega 360, Targetlock, Ultrex I-Pilot Link 80# Motor, 5 Port Switch. I have power to all units and ethernet cable on everything connected to 5 port switch. Any Ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by STR285 View Post
    I am also having a setup issue with TL but my problem is Trolling motor is showing UnConnected so that being said I have no option for Minn Kota Steer. Does anyone know what could cause this issue? System: Helix SI G4N, Helix SI G3N, Mega 360, Targetlock, Ultrex I-Pilot Link 80# Motor, 5 Port Switch. I have power to all units and ethernet cable on everything connected to 5 port switch. Any Ideas ?
    You have an Ethernet communication issue with the trolling motor. Maybe a faulty Ethernet Extension cable or faulty Ethernet port on the Switch, swap the Switch connections to see if there is a faulty port.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    I have tried switching ports to no avail. I have a new extension cable on the way so I'll see what happens when I get that installed. Thanks

10. Member
    Also I tried hooking the Helix G3 on the bow directly to the ethernet cable coming from the the Ultrex and I still got TROLLING MOTOR UNCONNECTED

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STR285 View Post
    Also I tried hooking the Helix G3 on the bow directly to the ethernet cable coming from the the Ultrex and I still got TROLLING MOTOR UNCONNECTED
    Inspect cable to make sure it has not been cut or crimped.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

12. Member
    Well a guy can't double check enough. I know I looked that cable over several times but 3rd times a charm as they say. Found a crimp in the cable and that was the problem. Broken wire. Thanks