compressor gone!!

Last time out heard a slapping noise in the motor. Took it to my mechanic and yep a compressor. They do not have one and on back order. Boat has 877hrs so I guess it is about time. I did manage to find one so it is on its way. Maybe in a couple weeks I can get back at it.

s/n 1b916908
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Member
    That’s got to be a record…

The fuel rails and others parts of the system may be damaged by debris from the compressor when it let go. You may want to talk to Don to have them serviced while waiting on the replacement compressor.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Yes my mechanic is pulling everything down and cleaning and testing.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    better be sure
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    That’s got to be a record…
    Not quite- I know of more than one that lasted past 4000 hrs.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Is the compressor a item that should be changed at a hour interval or wait till it goes? Should I have one in stock?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickfisher69 View Post
    Is the compressor a item that should be changed at a hour interval or wait till it goes? Should I have one in stock?
    I’d like to know about this myself. Seems like it would be a good idea to head it off before it goes, you know it gonna happen.

9. Member

Well, do you feel lucky? Do ya?

10. Member
    Oiling is issue, why they did not put a reservoir just for compressor is behond me. They could have had a misting oiler for compressor and run other lines straight to main crank bearing rather than scavenging from a dern compressor, guaranteed death
    Last edited by DewRonInc; 08-11-2022 at 07:54 PM.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    Well, do you feel lucky? Do ya?
    I have a spare even though I replaced mine some 200 hours ago. If u can find one keep one as a spare.
    1B737378 / 2009 - 250 PRO XS

12. Member
    ^^^^^^ agree to swap to updated compressor
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A short version of a little compressor history: There's a lot of hoopla out there about the "updated compressor". Fact is, there's nearly a dozen "updated compressor part numbers" for the 3L engines.

And... the most often referenced "update" had to do with the bearings. Fact is- the vendor that was building the compressors closed their doors. When the OEM tried to order product: Nobody home (permanently).

That was a long summer... no compressors anywhere. Before an OEM will tool up a new vendor to build something like that, they're going to make a design change and obtain an updated patent. Just good business sense.

While the changes to the bearings sounded good on paper- I can honestly say I've not seen ANY significant difference in the overall longevity. I've even seen someone that subscribed to the "Compressor Paranoia Standard" and changed out his perfectly good compressor: Only to have the new one fail a few hours later, while the perfectly good one sat on the shelf.

So... Replace it if bad, or even if reasonably suspect. I wouldn't replace it based solely on age, color, or part number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

So when did the manufacture of the compressor close ? Is this the summer of no compressors ? Amazing the info you have .

Good read Don.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    So... Replace it if bad, or even if reasonably suspect. I wouldn't replace it based solely on age, color, or part number.
    Excellent advice that applies to many things beyond the compressor.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    So when did the manufacture of the compressor close ? Is this the summer of no compressors ? Amazing the info you have .
    That was nearly a decade ago (now).