Thread: Wedges

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Joeally, sorry I missed you water pressure question in the earlier post. I can't speak to the pressure at 2" above the pad, I have not been that high. My boat is a 2003 year model and has the larger lip so I run between even and 1/2" above. Anything higher and the boat wants to drop off hard to the left...
    I am in the process of making some changes to allow the motor to run higher. I am told the 300R sportmaster cases like to run higher than that.
    Last edited by BlueallyXB21; 08-22-2022 at 03:15 PM.
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport 2+2
    Mercury 300R

2. Member
    Reviving an old thread. Just got an 2021 xb21 with a 300r. How do you guy's like to vent the max 5, bravo, and promax on these hulls? I had a bullet 21ss with the same engine before and it didn't like much venting.
    Allison XB21
    Mercruy 300r

3. Member
    Bullet90, I went to the new style skid plate, should already be on your boat since its a 2021 year model. With some modifications on the skid planer from Fastbass Marine (Tim Powell), boat is running well now with the 32 Max 5 with all the vent holes open.
    Mercury 300R

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueallyXB21 View Post
    Bullet90, I went to the new style skid plate, should already be on your boat since its a 2021 year model. With some modifications on the skid planer from Fastbass Marine (Tim Powell), boat is running well now with the 32 Max 5 with all the vent holes open.
    I think I passed you on my way to Tim's to get my boat last Friday.
    Allison XB21
    Mercruy 300r

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet90 View Post
    Reviving an old thread. Just got an 2021 xb21 with a 300r. How do you guy's like to vent the max 5, bravo, and promax on these hulls? I had a bullet 21ss with the same engine before and it didn't like much venting.
    I have only run a Bravo (28P and 30P) a couple of times...both liked to be vented. If not they would not spin up very well and were somewhat sluggish out of the hole.

I had a very revealing experience with the ProMax about a month ago. I was giving rides with my ProSport 300R combo. One day, I had a 32P ProMax with the holes plugged. With four men (@220 lbs. I was the smallest) in the boat and the 35 gal. tank near full. She would come out of the hole ok albeit slow but steady.

The very next day I had a friend bring my new 30P ProMax prop to the ramp where we met. I was in a pinch for time so I didn't bother with the plugs. I thought with less pitch she would jump out of the hole either way...Boy was I wrong! With the same scenario regarding conditions, people, and fuel. The vented 30P ProMax slipped a ton and severely struggled to get on plane. To the point I wasn't sure if we would even get on plane for a second! I plugged the holes and we came out of the hole so close to the 32P I couldn't tell a difference.

Long story short, with a lot of weight. The ProMax vented had a much worse hole-shot compared to the ProMax plugged. In fact, the venting played a much more significant role than did the pitch.
    Last edited by Alli71; 05-04-2023 at 05:37 AM.

Long story short, with a lot of weight. The ProMax vented had a much worse hole-shot compared to the ProMax plugged. In fact, the venting played a much more significant role than did the pitch.

Same for me- although I have the 250R and run a 30 Max 5 and several Promax props from 27 to 30 pitch they ALL need holes plugged, and the pro max props need the blow out ring or they will cavitate badly on take off.
    I have to be mindful of jack plate height with the smaller pitched props--- If raised way up they will blow out on takeoff even with the holes plugged.

7. Member
    Sounds like the same experience I had with my Bullet. All props I ran didn't require venting. I would run the promax without the ring but all 4 holes solid.
    Allison XB21
    Mercruy 300r

Yes sir..
    It's been my finding these V8 four strokes don't need the ventilation that the 2 strokes required.

9. Member
    I run all lithium’s like you run with new 300r 30 pro max with blow out ring on both props 32 Promax 2 degree bobs wedges cmc heavy duty plus 8 in bobs extension gets up great loaded full 2 people set my prop shaft even with bottom allison xb 21 side console it is a hydrolic plate I run high
    Jimmy Powell Rome,Ga aaatrani@aol.com

10. Member
    Bullet 90,

You may have passed me. Friday is when I picked it up from Tim's. They done a great job on the Aqua traction flooring. Took the boat out for a test run as well.... it ran 101 in the canal between Barkley and Kentucky lake and Josh had to back off due to cross winds coming out of the canal.
    Mercury 300R

11. Member
    If your boat is white and blue with a single axle trailer I for sure passed you on the Bluegrass Parkway. I was going to pick up my boat it was the grey, blue, and black xb21.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueallyXB21 View Post
    Bullet 90,

You may have passed me. Friday is when I picked it up from Tim's. They done a great job on the Aqua traction flooring. Took the boat out for a test run as well.... it ran 101 in the canal between Barkley and Kentucky lake and Josh had to back off due to cross winds coming out of the canal.
    Allison XB21
    Mercruy 300r

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet90 View Post
    If your boat is white and blue with a single axle trailer I for sure passed you on the Bluegrass Parkway. I was going to pick up my boat it was the grey, blue, and black xb21.
    Yes, that was me. I am working on a tandem trail now. Should have them switched out soon. I seen your gray, blue and black boat there....super sharp rig!!! Congrats!
    Mercury 300R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12