Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fishing in the HEAT

A coworker and friend died after suffering heat stroke and then a heart attack after fishing Pickwick yesterday. Not much detail yet. Stay safe, stay hydrated, watch yourself.

That's terrible. Prayers for his family.
    Team Enigma Fishing

3. Member

Here is what I do. I drink A LOT, water and gatorades.
    I wear some of the popular pull on sun gaiters but with a spin. In my cooler I keep a reusable (wide mouth) bottle full of water and when I get too hot I stuff the gaiter in that cold water and soak it, then put it on. This is effectively evaporative cooling and really makes a difference.

So sad to hear about your friend.

5. Member
    Sorry to hear about this. As a little league football coach, we had to take a course of heat related illnesses. About 4 years ago, another team lost a kid for the same reason. A person would have to ignore a lot of symptoms before reaching the level of heat stroke. Pay attention to how you're feeling out in the heat, don't try to be a tough guy and ride it out. Get yourself cooled down as quickly as possible if you're not feeling well.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    Sorry to hear.

sorry to hear about your friend.

8. Member

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post

I wear some of the popular pull on sun gaiters but with a spin. In my cooler I keep a reusable (wide mouth) bottle full of water and when I get too hot I stuff the gaiter in that cold water and soak it, then put it on. This is effectively evaporative cooling and really makes a difference.

I do something similar. I keep frog togg neck towels in my cooler and pull them out when I'm starting to overheat.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post

I do the same things. I also sit under a shade tree for a while if I can find one. I also enjoy jumping in the water for a bit. Nothing like a quick swim to cool you off.
    Team Enigma Fishing

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by WStorey View Post
    I do something similar. I keep frog togg neck towels in my cooler and pull them out when I'm starting to overheat.
    That is a very effective way to prevent heat stroke......During the 340 mile kayak race from Kansas City to St Charles, MO in mid July we had Ice Sox made out of multiple pairs of white athletic sox ends cut open then sewed together draped around out necks and our ground crew was replacing them with fresh ones at our stops for resupply they were the key to keeping this Old Man from having heat related problems.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    I still remember fishing with a buddy that always wore a baseball cap, athletic shorts and a T-Shirt fishing that never drank water just slammed down Pepsi who always questioned why I wore long sleeve fishing shirts, fishing pants, Buff, a hat with a brim and always drank just water.

We were fishing on another really Hot Day with No Breeze and were catching a lot of fish when the subject came up again didn't care to explain the same thing so just told him I was very comfortable that way and kept fishing he said well I've never dressed like that fishing so I'm not going to start now.

When we got the boat loaded and back to my house a short time later he was really getting sick, dizzy and looked terrible so made him get hydrated (no more Pepsi)and cooled off as he didn't want to go the ER.

He felt a little better the next morning and went to his Family Dr when he got home who must have really scolded him for being so nonchalant about Heat Stroke as he changed his fishing wardrobe up considerably.

13. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    Sorry to hear about this. As a little league football coach, we had to take a course of heat related illnesses. About 4 years ago, another team lost a kid for the same reason. A person would have to ignore a lot of symptoms before reaching the level of heat stroke. Pay attention to how you're feeling out in the heat, don't try to be a tough guy and ride it out. Get yourself cooled down as quickly as possible if you're not feeling well.
    Sad. Been ruminating about this as my son started HS football camper yesterday and it has been brutally hot and humid here. And the turf fields are even worse.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

My condolences, this has been a really hot summer, be careful out there.

15. Member
    This is dangerous stuff. My brother, who is in great shape, had an episode several years ago and has never been really able to tolerate the heat since. He has to be very careful when he is in the heat now and takes all the precautions (fluids, cooling towels, etc...). Grew up hauling hay with my grandfather and he always were a thin, long-sleeve shirt that he got soaked through quickly and we drank LOTS of water. Hard to imagine now working that hard in this heat but I was young then I guess.

One thing to remember, sometimes when people get overheated they loose some cognitive ability so be insistent that they drink. I have a friend that I that I have to force him to drink and cool off when he fishes with me. He got overheated one day with me and I noticed he was acting a little weird (non-talkative or illogical responses). He didn't recognize the symptoms and I had to force him to take a break and head to the marina. I really prefer to fish with a partner when it is really hot or really cold.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WStorey View Post
    I was actually just listening to a podcast the other day and they were talking about this. They said it's actually really bad to cool yourself down that way.

If a person is losing cognitive ability because of a heat related emergency they do not need people to waste time with sips of water. They need to be cooled down as aggressively as possible and they need an ambulance. They need definitive care ASAP.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    I was actually just listening to a podcast the other day and they were talking about this. They said it's actually really bad to cool yourself down that way.
    Can you explain? Maybe a temperature fluctuation that stresses the heart? I’ve always heard that a damp pad or towel under your armpit or between your legs would help with heat exhaustion?

Guys had a doctor tell me this once. If you think someone is having bad issues due to heat and you have a cooler put ice in a hat and put on their head. Take their shirt and soak it in the cold water in the cooler and put it back on. Then place their feet in the cooler as you get back to the ramp. Call 911 on your way in. He said most people don't believe it about the feet in the cooler but it does work
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    I have used the Frog Togg neck towels for years and can say they have been very helpful. Not sure why any kind of cool towel to wipe down the head, neck, arms etc. would be harmful.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast