Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking For Advice on Upgrading Lowrance Units

I'll start off by saying I know enough to be dangerous, but have always ran Lowrance, before it got really complicated. Anyway, bought a boat about 6 years ago that already had a HDS-8 Gen 2 non-touch at the bow, and a HDS-8 Gen 2 non-touch at the console, with the structure scan box/module mounted underneath. Also has a Point-1 puck, platinum chips, and seems to be wired correctly as far as the ethernet and NMEA, units talk to each other and share waypoints etc.

Boat has a MotorGuide Tour Digital 82 trolling so the bow unit uses the built in transducer, and the console unit has a 2D transducer in the hull, and then the structure scan transducer is mounted on the step in the rear. Overall the units have been fine and serve their purpose, plus the structure scan image is great, but I'm looking to upgrade. This will just be for bass fishing, with a mix of shallow and offshore, depending on time of year

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions on the most affordable way to accomplish this with my current setup? Ideally staying with one unit at the console, and maybe 2 at the bow, like a 10" or 12" just for Active Target, and possibly keep one HDS-8 for mapping/2D. Sounds like the carbon 12's that BPS had on sale would have fit the bill, but I missed on that. The "boat in a box" on TW comes with HDS Lives but I already have some of the other pieces, not to mention it's over $5K, plus I'd still have to buy the AT and transducer for $1,600. Or do I maybe wait for next iteration and hope the price of the Lives comes down?

Sorry for the lengthy post but appreciate any feedback, thanks.

2. Member
    Firstly HDS 8 were great units. I had two and loved them. However, we f you are truly in the mood to upgrade, you will have to ditch the entire system as the Legacy units will cause issues with newer units. Specifically, you would be unable to use the AI 3in1 transducer that comes with Carbon or Live units. The oldest units that can be Ethernet connected to new units are software updated Gen 3 HDS. You NMEA network can remain unless the connectors are blue. If blue, I’d suggest just replacing the entire system.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Firstly HDS 8 were great units. I had two and loved them. However, we f you are truly in the mood to upgrade, you will have to ditch the entire system as the Legacy units will cause issues with newer units. Specifically, you would be unable to use the AI 3in1 transducer that comes with Carbon or Live units. The oldest units that can be Ethernet connected to new units are software updated Gen 3 HDS. You NMEA network can remain unless the connectors are blue. If blue, I’d suggest just replacing the entire system.

NoCAL
    Dang, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. I'm assuming I can still use the Point-1 puck, or maybe even that is obsolete now as well. Either way, yeah the HDS 8's work fine, was just looking to upgrade in the near future, if it made sense. I appreciate the reply NoCal.

4. Member
    Point 1 and NMEA network can remain as long as the connectors are red or black.
    2B112175

5. Member
    love the 8's. If it were me I would keep the 8 setup until one fails. If you need more real estate, get a third 8

6. Member
    My setup. HDS 10 gen 2 non touch at console. LSS 2 transducer under jackplate. Epoxied transducer in stern. HDS 8 gen 2 at bow, HDS Live 9 at bow. HDS gen 2s are connected by ethernet. HDS Live 9 connected to Ghost trolling motor and HDS 8 by NEMA 2000. HDS 10 and 8 share weigh points and transducers. HDS 8 and HDS 9 Live share weigh points only through NEMA 2000. At my bow the HDS 8 is for mapping and 2D sonar, The HDS live 9 is for Active Target 99% of the time. This set up gives me GPS mapping/2D sonar/ down imaging/ side imaging on console and bow units and all options other than side imaging at bow through HDS Live 9. I will upgrade the older HDSs when they quit working. Since the old HDSs and new Live 9 are not connected by ethernet I have no Legacy issue.

7. Member
    Thanks NoCal, good to know what colors to look for. And csurp, this was really more about wanting to shift to FFS in the near future, but I agree, the 8's have been great!

RFSims this was kind of what I was going for. Potentially getting Active Target without having to replace EVERYTHING, unless it made more sense to just replace and still try to get some $ for the HDS-8 setup. Is the 9" screen plenty big enough for Active Target? And you don't get any sort of interference from the other units/transducers?

8. Member
    I've used AT on a 9" FS unit. A 12" would be better but 9" still works ok. You will in almost all cases have to stop all other sonars in the boat to keep from having interference on the AT.

NoCAL
    2B112175

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slig View Post
    Thanks NoCal, good to know what colors to look for. And csurp, this was really more about wanting to shift to FFS in the near future, but I agree, the 8's have been great!

RFSims this was kind of what I was going for. Potentially getting Active Target without having to replace EVERYTHING, unless it made more sense to just replace and still try to get some $ for the HDS-8 setup. Is the 9" screen plenty big enough for Active Target? And you don't get any sort of interference from the other units/transducers?
    The 9 is fine for AT, however if one were to use sonar, down scan, mapping with AT IMO one would need a bigger screen. No interference at all with the HDS 8 running 2D. Since I have had AT I really don't use side scan much anymore. Only fish two lakes tyat I have been fishing on for over 50 years. I am no longer looking for structure or cover as I have hundreds of brush pile waypoints. I look at the brush piles with AT. If I see fish I fish for them, if not I go to the next brush pile.

10. Member
    Here is a pic of Kentucky bass schooled on a point last October. HDS 8 with it's transducer on the trolling motor. AT transducer 8" above it on trolling motor shaft. Scout mode. HDS 8 pinging 2D beside it. Was neat to see these fish swimming across the screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    I'd leave everything the way it is and add an Elite FS 9 with AT to the front and be done with it. If possible price wise, go to a Live 9. That will give you everything you could want with the exception of 360.

12. GTB
    I had the same setup as you,except I had a 9” in the console. I recently upgraded to Elite 12” Ti2 at the console and Elite 9” Ti2 at the bow. I had an elite 9 inch on another boat and loved it. Very easy to maneuver oops. I bought both of these new units combined for $1600 and that included the three and one transducer for both units! I’m gonna have them installed next week. I had an elite 9 inch on another boat and loved it. Very easy to maneuver. . I bought both of these new units combined for $1600 and that included the three and one transducer for both units! I’m going to have them installed next week. They are both touchscreen and come with sun covers. 12” on Amazon for just under $900 and the other from Walmart for just under $600.

13. Member
    I appreciate the replies, this helps a lot! That's a great image RFSims, HDS Live might be the way to go, but if I can get away with an Elite FS 9 like Steve mentioned, that's a possibility. I suppose I need to research the differences between those two units, as well as the Ti2 GTB has. I'd really just be using this for AT, and letting the HDS-8 be the mapping/2D.

14. Member
    Previously I had 2 HDS 10 2's, an Elite ti2 7, and an old Hook 7.....the 2 10's were networked via Ethernet. I know the Hook couldn't be networked and I don't think the ti2 could either (but not 100% certain as it might have a single Ethernet plug....have to check).

I can tell you this 100%, there is NO comparison between the screens of a ti2 and a Carbon/Live. I had a pretty difficult time viewing both the HDS10 and the Ti II 7 in direct sunlight. I rigged up cardboard sunlight covers for both of them and that helped a bit.

Now I have 3 Carbon 9's networked together, 2 at the bow and 1 at the console. I use 1 of the HDS 10's at the bow for mapping, etc. I haven't included it in the Ethernet networking yet, primarily because I don't have a short Ethernet cord and don't want to deal with a bunch of cord tied up under the console. I'm also not sure how much of a benefit it'll be to me due to the HDS 10 2 being so old. I'm also now on the prowl for a used carbon 12..... hehehe

In summary, there's simply no comparison between the Carbon's/Live's and anything else Lowrance....at least at present. Their screen quality/viewing and speed are MUCH better than my previous units. Marc recently detailed the differences between Carbon's and Live's in one of the other threads that's currently running.. NoCal can also detail the differences (some in this thread) and I think Team Colibri has a video on their website.

It appears you're in the same quandary I was awhile back. Do I keep half-@ssing my system trying to go cheap and accept lower quality......or do I change my mindset, bite the financial bullet, and seriously upgrade. It was a tough choice for me as it is expensive. My thinking was I already have SS3D installed (but needing a Carbon unit) and I know I'm going to install AT, as FF is truly groundbreaking (and not that expensive on the used market). As a result of SS3D and AT, I've now got to go Carbon/Live if I want the best viewing and operational experience.

I went with a single carbon 9 for about 4 or 5 days and it was SO much better than my previous eqp that I immediately bought another 9 from BPS. Those 2 units networked together were SO much better that I bought another via a member here who was upgrading to 12's. So i got great deals on all 3 9s and I'm very, very happy with my current set up. I'm currently looking for the right deal on a Carbon 12 and will retire the HDS 10's.

IMOP it ALL comes down to your mission and your wallet.....

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    Previously I had 2 HDS 10 2's, an Elite ti2 7, and an old Hook 7.....the 2 10's were networked via Ethernet. I know the Hook couldn't be networked and I don't think the ti2 could either (but not 100% certain as it might have a single Ethernet plug....have to check).

I can tell you this 100%, there is NO comparison between the screens of a ti2 and a Carbon/Live. I had a pretty difficult time viewing both the HDS10 and the Ti II 7 in direct sunlight. I rigged up cardboard sunlight covers for both of them and that helped a bit.

Now I have 3 Carbon 9's networked together, 2 at the bow and 1 at the console. I use 1 of the HDS 10's at the bow for mapping, etc. I haven't included it in the Ethernet networking yet, primarily because I don't have a short Ethernet cord and don't want to deal with a bunch of cord tied up under the console. I'm also not sure how much of a benefit it'll be to me due to the HDS 10 2 being so old. I'm also now on the prowl for a used carbon 12..... hehehe

In summary, there's simply no comparison between the Carbon's/Live's and anything else Lowrance....at least at present. Their screen quality/viewing and speed are MUCH better than my previous units. Marc recently detailed the differences between Carbon's and Live's in one of the other threads that's currently running.. NoCal can also detail the differences (some in this thread) and I think Team Colibri has a video on their website.

It appears you're in the same quandary I was awhile back. Do I keep half-@ssing my system trying to go cheap and accept lower quality......or do I change my mindset, bite the financial bullet, and seriously upgrade. It was a tough choice for me as it is expensive. My thinking was I already have SS3D installed (but needing a Carbon unit) and I know I'm going to install AT, as FF is truly groundbreaking (and not that expensive on the used market). As a result of SS3D and AT, I've now got to go Carbon/Live if I want the best viewing and operational experience.

I went with a single carbon 9 for about 4 or 5 days and it was SO much better than my previous eqp that I immediately bought another 9 from BPS. Those 2 units networked together were SO much better that I bought another via a member here who was upgrading to 12's. So i got great deals on all 3 9s and I'm very, very happy with my current set up. I'm currently looking for the right deal on a Carbon 12 and will retire the HDS 10's.

IMOP it ALL comes down to your mission and your wallet.....
    Great post Slice, thanks! The wallet is the most difficult part, hard to justify spending that kind of $ for all new units. And there is a big difference between wanting and needing. I'm leaning towards just starting with one new unit, not sure which yet, and adding AT.

16. Member
    Adding to this old thread, does anyone know if there are compatibility issues between the HDS-8 Gen 2 non-touch and the HDS-12 Gen 3? As in, does it matter which software version they are on? Not sure my HDS-8 Gen 2's have ever been updated, and I'm assuming you can no longer update them. Currently have two HDS-8 Gen 2's and I'm looking to replace the one at the console with a larger touch screen just for mapping, with pinch and zoom etc. Ended up going with a Garmin 106sv and LVS34 for my FFS.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slig View Post
    Adding to this old thread, does anyone know if there are compatibility issues between the HDS-8 Gen 2 non-touch and the HDS-12 Gen 3? As in, does it matter which software version they are on? Not sure my HDS-8 Gen 2's have ever been updated, and I'm assuming you can no longer update them. Currently have two HDS-8 Gen 2's and I'm looking to replace the one at the console with a larger touch screen just for mapping, with pinch and zoom etc. Ended up going with a Garmin 106sv and LVS34 for my FFS.
    Gen 2 and Gen 3 are compatible in ethernet as long as the Gen 3 is running old software (like 7.0). If the Gen 3 has been updated to its latest software (18.2), it is NOT compatible with ethernet to a Gen 2 anymore. You can downgrade the software though, as long as you have access to an older software-update.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Gen 2 and Gen 3 are compatible in ethernet as long as the Gen 3 is running old software (like 7.0). If the Gen 3 has been updated to its latest software (18.2), it is NOT compatible with ethernet to a Gen 2 anymore. You can downgrade the software though, as long as you have access to an older software-update.
    Thanks Colibri, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Now the decision becomes whether to try to find a Gen 3 12 with the older software, or just buy 2 units and scrap my old system entirely. With the upcoming release of the HDS Pro, shouldn't be a shortage of used units. Are there any issues getting waypoints from the old Gen 2 onto newer Lowrance like a Carbon or Live? Thanks

19. Member
    You can transfer waypoints via a on mSD card or just connect them up ONCE with Ethernet. Although that will put the newer units into Legacy mode, it will automatically sync all your waypoints. Then just remove the Legacy units from Ethernet and Legacy mode will go away.

NoCAL
    2B112175

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    You can transfer waypoints via a on mSD card or just connect them up ONCE with Ethernet. Although that will put the newer units into Legacy mode, it will automatically sync all your waypoints. Then just remove the Legacy units from Ethernet and Legacy mode will go away.

NoCAL
    Thanks NoCAL! Wasn't sure if they would even ethernet together at all, but that works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast