2012 merc 60hp 4 stroke oil change level

I just changed the oil on my buddies 2012 60hp 4 stroke and the oil change kit came with 3 quarts. (oil filter changed as well)

checked oil before running and it was spot on to the full mark

ran motor on muffs for 5ish mins left it sit for 10ish mins and rechecked oil level and level is smack dead in the center of the dip stick.

Now I know thats within the safe zone and leaves some room for error (taking into account if motor isnt perfectly level) do you guys typically buy a 4th quart to top it off a little higher or tend to leave the oil level sitting around the mid point between the low and high level.

Thanks!
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You don't fill the engine's oil sump by an "exact capacity". Always start BELOW the expected "full capacity", and re-check the oil after it's been started and run for a short period.

Ultimately, you want the oil level 1/4 (25%) to 1/2 (50%) of the way into the safe zone. That is the proper level.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks for the info much appreciated.

I usually leave a little wiggle room on 1st start up but found by the time it was close to the full mark i had maybe 50ml of oil left which put it right at the Full mark. figuring it was going to drop by some amount by the time the filter got oil soaked.

rookie move on my part but its within the target level between 1/4 to 1/2 in the safe zone.

Thanks again!
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209