Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Advice on What Motor Brand to Re-Power With

Hello All, So recently the lower unit on My 2012 Evinrude E-Tec 200 HO that is on my 2012 Ranger Z520 went out, the gears and most bearings stripped. I can’t find a new one anywhere and to Get the current one I have Rebuilt (which is only a possibility if the housing that holds the gears is still in good shape) my thoughts are to Get this Lower Unit Repaired if possible, Run this e-Tec motor for about another year or so and then repower. I would hate to have to say good bye to My Evinrude because I love that motor and it’s never given me a problem up until now with the lower unit, but not being able to get parts when needed is a huge issue for me, Im on the water 3x a week and having a part go out that takes Months if not A year or more to get is definitely something I can’t do. what do you guys recommend To repower with? I know That lots of Guys are Starting to Run the New Suzuki 250 SS series, and that motor is really catching my attention right now, my main concern is reliability, I’m usually on the water 3x a week and need a dependable motor that’s going to last a long time, and that is easy to get parts for when something does go bad. I’ve also Been Looking at the Yamaha 250 SHO, but im really not sure which would be the best option for my boat reliability wise. I’m considering the Suzuki, Yamaha, and Possibly the Merc Pro XS 4 stroke, any advice would be greatly Appreciated.
    2012 Ranger Z520 Comanche
    Evinrude E-Tec 200HP

2. Member
    First look at the data plate on your boat and see how many HP the hull is rated for.

There are companies that sell new and rebuilt lower units at what I call a reasonable price. $2000 or less.

I hear most new higher horsepower (like 200+) motors are backordered at this time.

I bought a new 200 horsepower Suzuki last year. It is no rocket ship but it's smooth and quiet.

If you have the need for speed I would recommend a different brand,

Service after the sale! Everybody has their plus and minuses on EVERYTHING! I would go with the dealer that you found to be the best.
    I am not sure what you could get for your current motor as most people don't what anything to do with an Evinrude being no longer made and support is getting harder and harder to find.
    I think you are correct in your thinking of trying to get it repaired and then ordering a replacement. Leadtime are extremely long on new motors. But you knew that!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Member
    I have no personal experience. But before health took me out of fishing, I used to be around a guy that had a Suzuki on the Ranger he got from his dad after he pasted away. And that guy made it sound like it had been a reliable motor. He used to sneak up on me while I was fishing, that motor being quiet.
    In probably the 3 years he came around in fished areas I was fishing, when I mentioned stuff I had to get done to my Mercury 250 EFI, he always said his hadn't given him any issues. I believe his was a 150 on a 18' Ranger, if I ain't mistaken.

5. Member
    Closest dealer who stocks lots of parts. They are tough to find and can be a long lead time to get a motor in. I found a local guy who works on my Opti but he will not touch old Johnsons and quit with the E-tec last summer because of lack of parts.

One of my friends re-powered a 19 foot Triton from a 175 Merc EFI to 175 Yamaha.
    The Yahama weighs 100 lbs more than the Merc he replaced and he spent a lot of time trying get his performance (especially hole shot) even close to acceptable. He ended up having to add a hydraulic jack plate to get the full range of performance to be acceptable.
    Not saying that will happen in your case but it is something to be aware of.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Member
    More than likely, you are going to find any motor is back ordered from 6-12 months, so a reconditioned or a rebuild is more likely for you if you want to be on the water sooner... If speed is not an issue, honda, suzuki or the gray Yam 4 strokes are all very reliable.

8. Member
    Have you looked into SEI lower units? Some on here might bash them; however, I had no complaints with mine on a Mercury Optimax 225.

9. Member
    There's not much out there in regard to the new Suzuki 250SS even though a few of the MLF BPT pros (Gerald Spropher & Dean Rojas) are running them. Not sure if they are running a prototype or the final version of the engine based on what Rich Pierce stated a month ago about Suzuki. I thought about messaging the Pros who are running the new 250SS on social media just to ask about the new engine, but I just haven't done it. However, I believe someone in the Suzuki forums might have a new 250SS on order, so who knows. Personally, I don't think that you can't go wrong with any of the new 4S outboards these days and a lot of the issues people are having are due to poor rigging from the dealer. As others have stated, go with the closest and most trusted dealer near you that will treat you right when you buy and repower with them.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

10. Member
    Ive owned almost every brand of outboard motors and I can tell you that the Suzuki's were the best by far. They were not on bass boats, these were in salt water. If you ask anyone who owns a suzuki, they will all tell you the same.

11. Member
    I would go with the Yamaha SHO because you can still tune them to get more power out of them later.

12. Member
    He wants reliability. Doesn’t sound like he’s worried about aftermarket modifications

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    He wants reliability. Doesn’t sound like he’s worried about aftermarket modifications
    Still would go with Yamaha on that, and if they do have problems the diagnostic tools are far less expensive, and easier to find.

Mercury is 53 weeks out for a motor. Yamaha is even worse. I have no idea about a Suzuki and trying to find a Suzuki dealer that knows bass boats is rare. Another thing is lack of set-up information. You will be on your own. I normally have disdain for SEI but this is case where I think they are your best bet until you can get a motor.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    contact Eddie Pope "gearcaseman" prob one of the most knowledgeable omc gearcase men on the planet and flat out super guy. The gearcase repair wont be less $ anywhere else and it will be done the right way plus some. ask me how i know.

service availability would be my main concern. the 53 weeks out, I suspect, is for a loose motor. As my new boat will have a new mercury next month. But in general parts are tough to get for all brands.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

17. Member
    You would think that there would be a few blown e tec's out there that you could buy a used lower unit from?
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    service availability would be my main concern. the 53 weeks out, I suspect, is for a loose motor. As my new boat will have a new mercury next month. But in general parts are tough to get for all brands.
    Yes, that is for a repower. New boats are not an issue except for Yamaha not on a Skeeter.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

19. Member
    If it were me, and the service was there, I would go with Suzuki. I don’t have that option though, as far as I know, Suzuki doesn’t make a 225 SS, which is what I would need on my 01 520.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron H 520 View Post
    If it were me, and the service was there, I would go with Suzuki. I don’t have that option though, as far as I know, Suzuki doesn’t make a 225 SS, which is what I would need on my 01 520.
    Get a 250.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast