Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Get a 250.
    Not rated for one, and I don’t do the over power deal.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron H 520 View Post
    Not rated for one, and I don’t do the over power deal.
    There is no legal HP limit on a boat 20' or greater.

It may not be illegal but your insurance company may not approve it. As far as SEI, I ran run one on my Mercury 2 Stroke 250 ProXS a few years back. Had no problems with it and used it while I looked for a new or good used TM. SEI manual says these are not rated for a 250 HP engine but never had a problem with mine. You should be fine with a 200 SEI. They are reasonably priced, or used to be, and would be a good stand by until you have yours repaired and/or repowered. As far as a repower engine, go with what is best suited for you, not what somebody else says. You're the one that is going to pay for it, repair it and basically live with it for a while. You can have problems with any ( and every) motor out there. Remember, if man make it, it can and will break. Recommendations are good but not bullet proof.
    Last edited by tracer1; 08-13-2022 at 06:43 AM.

4. Member
    There are other things to consider other than a legal h p limit. Manufacturers recommendations must be considered. Also, the lifetime manufacturers transom warranty would most likely be affected, plus, liability issues if an accident should occur. I’m sure if I was in an accident, and I was responsible, my insurance would most likely decline coverage. Life’s not simple any longer.

One you can get…

There is no USCG horsepower rating required for a vessel 20' and over.
    There is a required manufacture rating for those boats-- that if exceeded can have all kinds of legal ramifications.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    There is no USCG horsepower rating required for a vessel 20' and over.
    There is a required manufacture rating for those boats-- that if exceeded can have all kinds of legal ramifications.
    The manufacture rating is not the law. Boat manufacturers don't have the ability to make laws. All the rating does is allow them to get out of any legal trouble or deny a warranty claim if you exceed it.

The manufacture rating is not the law. Boat manufacturers don't have the ability to make laws. All the rating does is allow them to get out of any legal trouble or deny a warranty claim if you exceed it.
    Who said they did ?

9. mikesxpress
    NMMA CERTIFICATION VS COAST GUARD REQUIREMENTS

Maximum weight and persons capacities

U.S.C.G.
    Applies only to monohull boats under 20' except sailboats, canoes, kayaks and inflatable boats

NMMA
    Applies to boats under 26' including pontoon boats, sailboats canoes, kayaks, and inflatable boats. Persons capacity specified for fly bridges and upper decks.

Horsepower capacity

U.S.C.G.

Applies only to monohull outboard powered boats under 20' except canoes, kayaks and inflatable boats. No testing required.

NMMA

Applies to all outboard boats under 26' including pontoon boats, canoes, kayaks and inflatable boats. Boats must be performance tested.

Many states have there own laws that recognize the NMMA maximum HP rating. PA, MN, etc... If your checked and found to be overpowered you will be ticketed and the craft will need towed to the dock.

Personally I would go with the recommended HP that the manufacture says. You're completely legal with all states, uscg, and your insurance company. if you were satisfied with the 200, that what I would replace it with. Don't overpower your boat, sometimes it's hard to sell a over powered boat, if you ever need to. JMHO

I’d get the Mercury 4 stroke unless an established Suzuki dealer and an authorized service facility was nearby.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12