Tournament Saver button (or any button/switch) mounting on ZX dash...

So installed a Tournament Saver Pro today, got it all wired up but can't decide where to put the button. Needs a 1/2" hole per the instructions (which I think are old, as the barrel of the switch is larger than 1/2", so will have to double check on that - maybe TH changed the activation button.)

ZX dash has a lot of padded trim I guess it's called. There are a few spots on metal dash plates I have to pick from, just need to check what's behind it, and don't feel like yanking the dual console mount so looking at going up from underneath if i can to inspect for clearance, etc. Anyone already installed a button or switch on the metal dash plates and can offer some info :).

Thinking left or right of the steering column, or maybe even down on the rocker panel since there is a spot open there.

Not my dash, but pretty much the same as my 16 ZX other than electronics...

2. Member
    If it were mine, I would be more inclinded to mount it on the rocker switch panel. FWIW

3. Member
    Yep, rocker switch panel. Keep switches in one area. Easier to see what's behind it and cheaper to replace if needed.
    Last edited by raven7usa; 08-09-2022 at 01:02 PM. Reason: added text

Leaning the same way, if for nothing else ease of access :). Might do some drilling tonight when it cools off.

Rocker Switch Panel for the win. Just easier access, more convenient, and still have space on dash for adding a gauge later if needed. I left a bit of extra wire as well enough to run to dash in case later I or next owner wants to move it.

Pretty straightforward install, but a thumbs down to T&H for changing the switch size - When Cliff had the company they used a 1/2" barrel switch (and the instructions still refer to 1/2"), but T&H apparently changed it to a 5/8". Seems like a small thing, but most common drill bit sets stop at 1/2". So you have to go buy a single 5/8" drill bit, and at that size you are into the "he must do this for a living so we can charge him more" group :(. $20 for a single drill bit. That I will likely use once.

Anyway, it's in, looks good to me so I am happy with it

[IMG][/IMG]

6. Member
    OK, you convinced me to get one. Where did you mount the box ( hint: picture ) ? Mine is a 2016 ZX 250. Maybe same layout in battery compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by raven7usa View Post
    OK, you convinced me to get one. Where did you mount the box ( hint: picture ) ? Mine is a 2016 ZX 250. Maybe same layout in battery compartment.
    Box is mounted to underside of aluminum deck plate on the passenger side as show below. I think the logical/preferred spot would be on the driver side area/raised shelf ahead of the sponson but both my PP pumps are there - so would have been hard to drill and drive in the screws unless I removed the pumps to gain room for drilling, etc. This was simpler and is tucked up out of the way, and cables reach both batteries on driver side no problem. You could also install in similar spot on the drivers side, but I have two battery switches there so with wiring and pp lines running through that area it was kinda crowded :). So the passenger side worked out great.

TW has it on sale now for $79...

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Tour...age-TSPRO.html

8. Member
    Thanks, that helps alot. Ordered from TW earlier today. Thanks for helping spend my money...
    Last edited by raven7usa; 08-10-2022 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added text

Quote Originally Posted by raven7usa View Post
    Thanks, that helps alot. Ordered from TW earlier today. Thanks for helping spend my money...

One tip, measure the barrel of the switch before drilling to mount it - mine was .620 so I used a 5/8 drill bit (.625) but it was not large enough, and I had to clean it up with a round file. So maybe my bit was a bit undersized, or maybe that is normal, but something to watch out for especially if mounting switch on dash and having to work through steering wheel spokes, etc. Another reason I am glad I went with the rocker panel mounting location.

OK two tips, pay attention to the cranking/trolling cables, as they are different lengths. In my case I put the cranking batt cables "outboard/away" from the batteries, since they are longer. If I put the TM cables "outboard" they would not have reached the TM battery I needed to use. Just depends on where you mount/how your batteries are setup.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 08-10-2022 at 06:57 PM.

10. Member
    Appreciate the tips. Will update when installed to help anyone else planning to install one.

11. Member
    Probably a dumb question. I installed one. How do I test to see if it works without having a dead cranking battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Missedone View Post
    Probably a dumb question. I installed one. How do I test to see if it works without having a dead cranking battery?
    The instructions with mine said to press the button, you should clear a click (assumingly the relay/solenoid switching over to pickup the voltage from the TM side). If you get the click you are good, if no click, something is not wired correctly (or the TSP is bad).

Outside of that, you can put a multimeter on the Cranking battery (preferably after a day on the water, before hooking up the charger) and confirm if the voltage increases when you press the button.

13. Member
    So after reading through this earlier today I went to Tackle Warehouse and the Tournament Saver Pro was $79.95. I went back tonight to place the order and the price had changed to $99.95.

Quote Originally Posted by thebradybunch View Post
    So after reading through this earlier today I went to Tackle Warehouse and the Tournament Saver Pro was $79.95. I went back tonight to place the order and the price had changed to $99.95.
    They had a 20% sale going on that ended Friday 7pm.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    They had a 20% sale going on that ended Friday 7pm.
    Just my luck!

16. Member
    Got mine installed yesterday. Thanks to Mark for his installation tips. Everything went smooth. TSP.jpg
    Last edited by raven7usa; 08-19-2022 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added text
    2016 ZX250

Looks good, I have though about putting a label on mine as well.