Question for the jig pouring guys

So I'm recovering from open heart surgery (Valve replacement) and Ihad an idea. I want to take one of my jig molds and make a jig head with it. Except I want to add a corkscrew to it, similar to this mold, but with an Arky head (https://barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Scre...Jig-Mold-P338/). I don't want this to be a permanent blocking of the mold either. I want to block the weed guard area and the bait keeper ball area so I have just the Arky head and the corkscrew as the bait keeper, not the ball as on this mold (https://barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Banana-Jig-Molds-P218/). I ordered some casting retainer putty, thinking this might be the solution, but I've never worked with it and I find it not easy to work with for detail work like blocking off around the shank of the hook and corkscrew. An ideas/tips would be great on how to accomplish this.
    Thanks everyone for any ideas/tips/help.

2. Member
    Red RTV Hi-temp silicone gasket maker is what you want

Quote Originally Posted by billwvu05 View Post
    Red RTV Hi-temp silicone gasket maker is what you want
    Thank you for the response. Using the Permatex, is that permanent to the mold, also once you block the cavity, can you pour multiple jigheads with the same rtv in place, or do you need to replace it for each pour?

Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Adams View Post
    Thank you for the response. Using the Permatex, is that permanent to the mold, also once you block the cavity, can you pour multiple jigheads with the same rtv in place, or do you need to replace it for each pour?

Thank you again.
    The permatex hi temp red silicone gasket maker is removable.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Thank you Bryan, I've never used it.

6. Member
    I can usually get through a large batch before the RTV needs to be redone. I just gently scrape it out with a wire brush when done. Its fairly easy to manipulate once you put it in the mold to get it where you want it. Good luck with the recovery!

I appreciate the well wishes and thank you for the information Bill.

8. Member
    Get a razor blade to scrape the silicone flush on each side after putting it in. I also use a toothpick to manipulate it around the mold if it goes somewhere I don't want it. I'm sure some of these other more experienced guys may have some tips to help you out.

9. Member
    When I do a permanent mod I use the red silicone. For a temporary mod I tape a silicone piece in the weed guard slot and a skirt collar in the keeper slot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    The issue is you will need to make a permanent modification to run a screw lock on the hook shank. The jig collar areas are not wide enough or deep enough to accommodate a screw lock on that position. You'll have to get another mold and cut the area for the screw lock out.

11. Member
    Smalljaw 67 hit it on the head. Most stock screwlocks you buy from the Barlows, LPO or Jann's are too big in diameter to fit in the collar area of most Do-It molds without any mods. With that said you used to be able to buy smaller diameter ones from Hagen's. I believe they are still available, however they are made of copper and thus softer material which have a tendency to break if you bend them too many times. I have used them and they do work. The stainless screwlocks are much more durable. Another thing to remember is this. If you want that type of screwlock on the hook shank, you must block the hole where the head meets the hook shank in the mold, or lead will seep through and it will fill the screw lock. It all looks easy until you pour your first head and lead seeps thru. Take a look at one of Do-It's molds cavity to see how they accomplished this. There is only enough room for the screwlock wire to lay in the mold. I would suggest what smalljaw said and buy another mold and modify it to what you want. This way you don't have to screw around with cleaning red RTV and then re-applying it when you need to. JMO