Thread: Vertigo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vertigo

I woke up Friday morning about 2am to take a leak and as soon as my feet hit the floor I went down. Head was spinning like crazy and hasn’t gotten much better. I had a bout of vertigo many years ago and went to a ENT. After a few visits it went away. For the life of me I can’t remember what they had me do. Anyone been through this and remember what to do? Thanks
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

2. Member
    Hope you find some help.

3. Member
    If it is truly vertigo it means the crystals in your ear have shifted. You have to do exercises to get them back into the correct chamber. It will suck, but it is what you need to do. Sit on the edge of the bed and fall to your right. Stay there for a minute and try not to puke. Go back to sitting up repeat to the other side. Do this a few times. I went through this a couple of times.

The other thing is it could be severe dehydration. Water and electrolyte replacement will fix this. I had this last week and I went get a hydration IV. Back to normal in a couple of hours.

4. Member
    Google the Epley maneuver, I believe this is what you are talking about. I watched a video on this and then did the maneuver after suffering for 4 days and my vertigo went away.

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    I woke up Friday morning about 2am to take a leak and as soon as my feet hit the floor I went down. Head was spinning like crazy and hasn’t gotten much better. I had a bout of vertigo many years ago and went to a ENT. After a few visits it went away. For the life of me I can’t remember what they had me do. Anyone been through this and remember what to do? Thanks
    Was it possibly the Epley maneuver?
    Who controls John Gill?

Any recent covid vaccinations? this is a known side effect. My dad went through it for months after his booster as did my best friend

7. Member
    I've had it mildly and it lasted for a month. Never fell, but was dizzy and had brain fog type deals. Never went to the Dr. when I had it, I recommend you go visit the ENT again if it is that severe to where you are losing your balance. There are some stretches and movements that you can try to help alleviate it, but it sounds like you got it worse than most. Most notable thing that happened to me was while driving and pulling out from a stop, left, right, left movement of my head made me dizzy briefly. Hope it goes away soon, it's not a good feeling that's for sure!

8. Member
    Dropped like a rock, while puking and sweating, about three years ago.

Fast to the ER as a stroke alert. Of course, blood & urine test for the junkie.
    After leaving me laying there puking and sweating for two hours, a CAT scan.
    Thankfully, not a stroke or it would have been permanent damage for me.

One IV for hydration, two OTC pills for dizziness, two Rx pills for nausea.
    Physician's assistant stuck his head in the doorway twice, four hours ER total.
    End result ... an invoice for $26,600 and a "probably vertigo" as a verdict.

Hit a few more times before it was under control, stayed home to handle it.
    My wife took care of me, she was really good about it, especially the puking.
    Went to primary and can't do anything insane now. Whitewater, flying, etc.

Thinking the entire "episode" from first event to last major ... two months.
    Best wishes, it's absolutely debilitating. Still carry Rx to help, if stricken.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    You may have had a simple drop in blood pressure that caused you to faint. Definitely get a thorough check up but what happened to you is hardly unusual and gets more common as you age. And obviously it can be a very dangerous fall.

Try the Epley Maneuver. You can do it at home. It only takes a few minutes and it works great.

Lasts quite a while, though if your'e prone to Vertigo, you may have to repeat it every few months.

No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

I deal with this once or twice a year. Mostly happens when i lay on my left side. Epley maneuver takes care of it, only if you are having the issue when you put your head to one side. I have gotten real good at this when home as my ENT doesnt want to see me unless i have trouble getting the crystal back where it belongs. Once it has returned to it's home, i sleep in a recliner for two days and then i am all good until the next time it happens. I am careful not to lay down on my left side. but dont have a constant issue with the spinning anymore. PM if you want to discuss. Ask your ENT to explain it to you if you go to see them again. Then you will save a lot of time.

12. Member
    You may have to do that maneuver more than once for it to work, sometimes it works for me on the first try and sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes I can’t get all the way through it without running to the bathroom to puck. I had an atv accident about 9 years ago and have been dealing with it on and off since. I’ve had c-scans, MRI’s and the works and they always revert back to this little exercise. Sometimes I have mild episodes and can still function, head just feels funny and sometimes it puts me out of commission for 3-4 days. It SUCKS!!! but the exercise does help.

13. Banned
    Could be Meniere's disease. Usually only affects one side. Lowering your sodium intake may help. Whether Meniere's or vertigo, do not mention to your DMV. They may suspend your DL until cleared by a physician.

14. Member
    Same thing happens to me a couple times a year. Goes away in three or four days

Yep 4 years ago finally went to a therapist, and they did the Epley maneuver took about 4 times to get rid of it completely. I did get it back but not as bad and was able to do the maneuvers on my own. I actually sold my boat thinking that I was not ever going to get over it. Been lucky so far it hasn't returned. My friend got it and when she went to renew her drivers lic. they wouldn't renew it till she got a clearance from her Dr.

I was hit with a bad bout of Vertigo on Wednesday. It locked me in my chair for about an hour. I'm Just getting over it. Hadn't one like that in about 10 years. First thot is stroke, so I start saying ABCs and mulipliication tables out loud just to make sure.

There are two maneuvers. The Epley and the one below in the video. This second one is a little easier at home. I didn't have to do it 5 times to get it resolved
    Last edited by Booster; 08-08-2022 at 08:05 PM.
    2018 Nitro Z18 w/175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

17. Member
    I have Meneirze's disease which is basically chronic vertigo in my right ear. I take a anti histamine when i do have a bout but the key is a low sodium diet and lots of water.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rulebender View Post
    Any recent covid vaccinations? this is a known side effect. My dad went through it for months after his booster as did my best friend
    Did they both recover?

Thanks for the input. I’ll give it a try.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

20. Member
    I’ve had vertigo 3 or 4 times and I can trace it to getting up out of bed too fast. I think I’m late when the alarm wakes me up from a deep sleep,usually I’m up before the alarm goes off. Now if I’m startled I try to remember to wait several seconds before getting out of bed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast