Vortex Hub Size for a 2008 Triton 211-SF

Hi All,

I have been searching and searching and can't seem to find out what size I need. I am getting ready to make a drive to purchase a boat that I have had independently inspected, and the only issue is a leaking oil bath hub coming out the front on one of the axles. I was hoping to just take a hub with me and switch it out, but can't tell if I need a 4 1/2 or a 4 1/8. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

2. Member
    I can’t tell you for sure about that trailer but most trailers use the industry standard 5 on 4 1/2 for the hub. That’s been the hub that has been on all my trailers. The only difference I’ve ever had was the seal size. The 2 sizes have been either 2.56 x 1.685 or 2.33 x 1.68 You could get a seal in both sizes just to be prepared. They are not very expensive. Do you know if it’s actually an oil bath hub or Vault hub. Those hubs have an O-ring that fit in a groove that is on the end of the hub where the bearing protector is hammered on. That adds a tighter seal so nothing leaks out the front. Hubs that only run grease do not need a hub that has the O-ring.

You may not really need a new hub. You may just need new seals and/or O-ring. If it’s leaking on the backside, it will be the seal. If it’s leaking out the front, it’s probably the O-ring or the cap.
    Last edited by Mike2718; 08-09-2022 at 07:40 PM.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

3. Member
    Oh thank you so much. I confirmed they are oil bath vs the hybrid grease.