poygan, winneconne, butte des morts

First time up on the Winnebago chain...heading up there at the end of this month. Seems similar to a Lake Wisconsin kind of vibe. Any tips or info on where to invest my time would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    First time up on the Winnebago chain...heading up there at the end of this month. Seems similar to a Lake Wisconsin kind of vibe. Any tips or info on where to invest my time would be appreciated!
    PM sent

3. Member
    Never fished there but, seems to me that when MLF was there about 2 or 3 years ago, Poygan was the better of the 3. Try to find the MLF shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Esox Z518C View Post
    Never fished there but, seems to me that when MLF was there about 2 or 3 years ago, Poygan was the better of the 3. Try to find the MLF shows.
    I actually forgot that they had a cup event in late august to early September of 2020 there and lake butte des morts. If I remember, we had a false/early fall where water temps dropped from the upper 70s/low 80s to the mid 60s that time of year which is not normal. I think Poygan they were allowed to fish the wolf for a little bit and there are money spots inside that boundary. I don't remember if they were allowed to fish the fox during the butte des morts event.

I would say that is the best footage if a cold front comes through. Otherwise, the NPFL footage would probably be good.

Quote Originally Posted by dwtaylor View Post
    I actually forgot that they had a cup event in late august to early September of 2020 there and lake butte des morts. If I remember, we had a false/early fall where water temps dropped from the upper 70s/low 80s to the mid 60s that time of year which is not normal. I think Poygan they were allowed to fish the wolf for a little bit and there are money spots inside that boundary. I don't remember if they were allowed to fish the fox during the butte des morts event.

I would say that is the best footage if a cold front comes through. Otherwise, the NPFL footage would probably be good.
    Appreciate the info!

The whole system is a ton of fun to fish from new London down to the upper lakes, the fox river, all the little tribs and Bago itself. They all have great populations of brown and green fish. The problem is that it is so vast and to actually experience the true potential of the system you have to find the sweet spots. You'll cover a lot of great water with minimal success and then boom you find a sweet spot and have a blast! Personally I'd fish from winneconee to Fremont this time of year if I was just going fun fishing. The river is running low and so is the current though so fish are spread out in the river. Poygan you can find some great frogging and flipping action plus some good rock for smallies as well. Bago is also a blast but ya really gotta put in some time and if you aren't familiar you can really bust up some props and lower units.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    The whole system is a ton of fun to fish from new London down to the upper lakes, the fox river, all the little tribs and Bago itself. They all have great populations of brown and green fish. The problem is that it is so vast and to actually experience the true potential of the system you have to find the sweet spots. You'll cover a lot of great water with minimal success and then boom you find a sweet spot and have a blast! Personally I'd fish from winneconee to Fremont this time of year if I was just going fun fishing. The river is running low and so is the current though so fish are spread out in the river. Poygan you can find some great frogging and flipping action plus some good rock for smallies as well. Bago is also a blast but ya really gotta put in some time and if you aren't familiar you can really bust up some props and lower units.
    Appreciate the info as always! Fortunately I'm in a kayak so no concern about busting props here :)