Smallmouth Chatterbait set up

Im currently using a champion 733c for chatterbaits and im losing way to many smallmouth with it. Looking for recomendations on a new set up to help keep them pinned. Im using 15lb flouro. Mostly fishing rock/sand/gravel with sparse milfoil and cabbage weed.
    Thanks.

2. Member
    If pulling it away from them, step down a power or try a crankbait blank. The other thing I’ve seen with smallies though is they crush the bait so hard that they actually hold it without getting stuck, I’ve seen them hold on to a small swim bait to the point you’re not getting good hook penetration, if that’s the case I’d actually step up a power or use the same rod you are with braid to leader.
    Just a thought. I’ve been fishing with a partner many times and ones loosing fish and the other one is keeping them pinned and a lot of times it comes to getting the hook pinned. Just my observation
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

3. Member
    A glass rod with braid has been working great for me since switching.

Both a medium and MH depending on weight of bait.

4. Member
    I'm using a G. Loomis IMX 812 SBR, a rod made for spinnerbaits with great success. Almost never lost a smallmouth. It keeps them pinned. Also using Jackhammers with a better quality hook.
    Last edited by Real L; 08-08-2022 at 11:16 AM.

5. Member
    I would not recommend glass at all. Graphite with moderate action, specifically a powell endurance 725 crankbait rod.

6. Member
    I have increased my hookup rate since I switched to an ALX Rumble.

7. Member
    Before you switch rods try a good old Zoom split tail spinnerbait trailer instead of whatever you're using. I use a Nories Hulachat a decent amount which comes with a little skinny trailer and I was having better hookups especially with smallmouth. I started using Zoom split tails on regular Zman chatterbaits and feel like I miss fewer smallies. I think the bulk of a lot of the trailers people are using hurt with smallies.

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I don't remember the last time I lost a smallmouth on a bladed jig since I've started using only Jackhammers. Yeah they are a bit pricey but for whatever reason they catch a ton of fish and the price diff is offset by how many fish can be caught with one trailer. It's not uncommon to catch double digit numbers on one trailer.

My setup is a Megabass Diablo Spec-R with 14 lb FC Sniper. Your 733c is probably a similar rod.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Im using jackhammers as well. I had no issues in the fall getting them in the boat with this set up so maybe they arent eating it very good or just swatting at it.

10. Member
    alx zolo rumble what i use. first year for it. love it.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorp View Post
    Im using jackhammers as well. I had no issues in the fall getting them in the boat with this set up so maybe they arent eating it very good or just swatting at it.
    Either the color isn't quite right or the trailer isn't what they're looking for

A Guntersville guide turned me onto using a Shimano SLX 7’2” M for chatterbaits in light cover. It’s worked really well.
    You can get two of them for $100 now at Landbigfish.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green