2010 E-Tec 75hp - no fuel filter?

I recently purchased a boat that had this engine on it. Has been smooth, quite and ran great until yesterday. I ran for a longer distance and as I was about to ease up at a spot the engine had a sudden knocking or loud fluttering (knocking maybe too harsh of a description) and it shut off. It took a few hours later before it would crank again but it didn’t sound the same. I didn’t run anywhere then. And a little later I cranked it again and it had that intermittent clacking/fluttering. It almost sounded like the flywheel was hitting something or that there was an issue with the fuel system. I will say the fuel in there is old. The guy I bought it from only ran it twice in the last 2.5 years. However I also noticed there isn’t a fuel filter. It’s direct connect. That’s not how the Evinrude diagram has it for year and model. Not sure if there is any relation. I’ve got pics of the diagram and my outboard.
    Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Looks like someone delted the filter.
    I'd reinstall one asap
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    hose from the left looks pulled to the right so must just be missing? removed for some reason? did they install a water separator/filter in the rear compartment maybe?

put some lucas fuel treatment in old fuel also if gas is bad and it leans out, it will get ugly quickly
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools