Question 2007 Champion 183 CX - Thoughts

Hello, looking at a 2007 Champion 183 CX and just wondering if it would be a good boat at that age and the fact Champion isn't in business any longer. The boat is about 2 hours away so I have only been going back and forth via email will talk on the phone today. It was taken in as a trade in so dealing with a boat dealer. The asking is $11,900 and it does have a i-pilot Minn Kota but is 1 year before i-link and decent Lowrance sonar. Waiting on motor hours and hopefully engine report.
    Oddly, I see in one of the pictures 3 props in the compartment so that makes we wonder if they hit a lot or are always playing with performance. I will ask if the props are different pitches or all the same, would feel better if they are different. Because I could see justification in that if using for family use.

Any feedback would be good and thanks in advance..

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    The 183 is a really great model. Rides and fishes a lot bigger than it is!!! We have some 183 owners here. Hopefully they will chime in with their experiences. No problems with Champion no longer in business as far as decision to buy goes. Any issues which might arise would be with motor or other add-ons, not the boat itself.

Let us know ....

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    2007 is a good year to have. A 183CX is a bit on small side for big family but still 18' bass boat. I would assume its a 150hp and probably Evinrude. I'm not good on those motors. Of course condition is everything so id look at how its been maintained, hrs and comp on motor, sun damage.... Remember its 15years old so gonna have some use on it.

Champion is a classic boat that's pretty easy to maintain and due to a great following many items can be bought or a replacement made for them.

Since its at a dealer as a trade there is probably some dealing to be had on it but 11K is a great value for a 2007 18' Champ. Look at it carefully price may be low due to issues. If your not a good mechanic neg lowering cost to include a mechanic check. They should do engine check, lower oil check, Comp, maybe leak down, Check if everything works, trailer issues, collision damage, cracks... look at transom for issues even though its post wood... GL. Maybe others will chime in to help! Champ has a GREAT loyal Following and a 2007 is rather new for a Champ!.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

4. Member
    My fault I should have said it had the 2007 Envinrude e-tec 150HP with 400 hours.

I've had mine a little over 4 years. For an 18 footer it takes rough water great. A very stable fishing platform. Mine has a Merc 150 optimax that had 425 hours when I purchased it. I think that is a great price if everything checks out. It's not a speedy boat, though. I keep every compartment packed, carry around 20 combos and my partner and I weigh around 350 pounds together. With a full tank low 50's is all she's got. I don't fish tournaments so I can handle the speed. It's not really big enough for a family boat. 2 to 3 is about it. i'm happy with the boat and would buy the same model again. Any questions shoot me a PM.
    '07 Champ 183CX

6. Member
    Thanks all good to know.

Own that same boat since 2008. Here's owner input: best speed I've ever seen was 58.50, motor is a 150 optimax. If you buy it I have tons of tips and can help you with setup.
    I assume the multiple props are a previous owners attempt at speed chasing.
    See ignorance daily

Good solid boat, stable with two 250 lb. guys fishing. Plenty of storage. I'm running mine as a single console, which really opens up the interior and makes it easier to move around in.

Mid to upper 50s speed with the Merc. I think some of the guys running Yamahas were getting a couple of extra mph, not sure about the E-rude. I agree with Butch; the extra props are probably someone looking for speed or perhaps someone who used the boat for skiing or tubing. I fish Lake Erie So I've got mine propped down with a 19" High Five.

In my biased opinion, if everything checks out with the motor and an 18ft. bass boat fits your needs, you'd be hard pressed to find a better boat in that price range.
    Kevin
    2009 Champion 183CX

9. Member
    If the boat is in reasonable condition then the cost seems like a good value. You may want to check around to see who can help you with an Evinrude for service and parts to make sure you have resources after your purchase (It's my understanding that Evinrude is no longer in business).
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

10. Member
    Great boat, I own an 07 with an opti 150, not a speed demon but fishes great.