Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's a good cull tag to get?

I'm looking to pick up my first set of cull tag but I want a good set, I want one with durable clips and stay on the fish while in the live well and when you pick it up by the float. Can you guys recommend me a good non puncture cull tag?
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

2. Moderator
    Cal Coast 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    Cal Coast 2.0
    +1. I tried several brands and I prefer these. An important feature is the small clamp width where it attaches to the fish’s mouth. They let the fish close their mouth in a normal manner.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Make me number 3, best ones ive used, just make sure and clip em in the soft thin portion of the lower jaw, away from the tounge. Havent had one let go yet

5. Member
    I just picked up the Accu -cull tags with the ball where you can change the weight -it seems like they are built really well!

I'm been pleased with the accu cull elite. Had them for a few seasons now.

though based on my fishing most of this year they haven't had to work very hard.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

7. Member
    If you go by some of the reviews on tackle warehouse, none of the "non puncture" cull tags have great reviews. I've used the traditional metal clips and just slid them up through the outer gill and not had a problem. Don't think these were ever meant to be "puncture" type.

8. Member
    I'm another Cal Coast 2.0 user and lover.

9. Member
    Ardent Smart Cull clips...you can buy the clips separately in a pack of 6...buy colored silicone tubing from Amazon (google Tigofly silicone tubing)...put that in the hole on the clip, loop it around and secure it with a ziptie. Been using for 3 years now, easy to put on with one hand, never had one come off and never had a dead fish (that wasn't hooked in the tongue).

10. Member
    You can’t go wrong with Accu Cull

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Ardent Smart Cull clips...you can buy the clips separately in a pack of 6...buy colored silicone tubing from Amazon (google Tigofly silicone tubing)...put that in the hole on the clip, loop it around and secure it with a ziptie. Been using for 3 years now, easy to put on with one hand, never had one come off and never had a dead fish (that wasn't hooked in the tongue).
    I'm a big fan of the Ardent clips too. I haven't had a fish pull off one one yet even while on the balance beam. Just make sure to always attach to the bottom lip, they will come off the upper lip. I'm also a fan of the Ardent balls and have used them for many years. They're really nice because you dial the weight of the fish on it so it's really fast and easy to see when culling. I bought the clips separate and added them to the balls a few years ago and love them. You can buy the balls with the clips or with the old school puncture type

12. Member
    After trying three types, I’m going back to the old school clips.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

I don't think any cull tag, piercing or non piercing are designed to lift fish out of the livewell by.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBR View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Ardent clips too. I haven't had a fish pull off one one yet even while on the balance beam. Just make sure to always attach to the bottom lip, they will come off the upper lip. I'm also a fan of the Ardent balls and have used them for many years. They're really nice because you dial the weight of the fish on it so it's really fast and easy to see when culling. I bought the clips separate and added them to the balls a few years ago and love them. You can buy the balls with the clips or with the old school puncture type
    Only reason I don't like the balls is because they fill up with water and can vary in weight by a few ounces. With the silicone tubing they're all the same weight, makes culling more accurate the way I do it anyway.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Only reason I don't like the balls is because they fill up with water and can vary in weight .

I never noticed that before so I had to check for myself. All of mine fill with water but then completely drain out in less than two seconds…. Much faster than the time it takes me to hang two fish on the beam.. I always get confused by the colored tubes or ropes cause I can never keep track of the weights in my head. I’ve yet to find a system thats faster or more efficient at culling than instantly seeing the weights on the balls. Obviously everyone’s different but they work for me so I recommend them. Although, when I weigh the fish on the scale I do support the weight of the ball because I don’t want the scale weight to reflect anything other than the fish…. Good luck…. It’s hot here in California today and the frog fish are snapping on the river lol

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBR View Post
    I never noticed that before so I had to check for myself. All of mine fill with water but then completely drain out in less than two seconds…. Much faster than the time it takes me to hang two fish on the beam.. I always get confused by the colored tubes or ropes cause I can never keep track of the weights in my head. I’ve yet to find a system thats faster or more efficient at culling than instantly seeing the weights on the balls. Obviously everyone’s different but they work for me so I recommend them. Although, when I weigh the fish on the scale I do support the weight of the ball because I don’t want the scale weight to reflect anything other than the fish…. Good luck…. It’s hot here in California today and the frog fish are snapping on the river lol
    I also use the AccuCull board to record my weights. For me anyway it's easier to just look at a board to know that green is next one to go or whatever. Everyone has their own system.

My team partner has the Ardent clips with the balls, his each hold a little different amount of water. Maybe it's just his set but they are definitely different after they've been dunked.

So no issues with the Cal Coast clips? I though the knock on these was the clip size - to big to allow mouth to close, so fish couldn't push water over their gills effectively? I've got the Cal Coast but have not used them - I recently picked these clip style from TW to try also

https://basswidowproducts.com/

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    So no issues with the Cal Coast clips? I though the knock on these was the clip size - to big to allow mouth to close, so fish couldn't push water over their gills effectively? I've got the Cal Coast but have not used them - I recently picked these clip style from TW to try also

https://basswidowproducts.com/

I have read people saying that about the Cal Coast clips. I personally haven't experienced that. I have used them for 3.5 seasons now I think, and I have only lost 1 fish. I will say that I have had fish not doing great from a deep hookset and I have opted to not use a cull tag on them to eliminate any unecessary stress, but I would do that with any cull tag.

19. Member
    I had good luck last season with the cal coast, no complaints... this season however I used the TH marine conservation clips that came with my phoenix and they also have worked perfectly
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro Xp
    2022 Mercury 225 ProXs 3B171157

I read there is old version of Cal Coast with larger clips, those are the ones folks were having issues with. Cal Coast redesigned them to have smaller clips in the current model. Not sure which I have to be honest, I will have to search for some pics comparing old/new maybe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast