Thread: Gas Prices

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Why wouldn't the rate of unemployed be lower after covid lockdowns were lifted? I read somewhere else the actual unemployed is 23 per cent as many have quit looking for work and they are not counted in those actively seeking work. Same with jobs numbers, you simply can't make the math work when 8 million jobs are cut or lost then claim job creation with supposedly 800000 newly created jobs. Critical thinking should tell you the truth. Stop thinking in terms of politics and you just might be enlightened or not.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rid 05 198 View Post
    We are better off now verses two years ago.
    So we need higher inflation and less value for our dollar to be better off?

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Why wouldn't the rate of unemployed be lower after covid lockdowns were lifted? I read somewhere else the actual unemployed is 23 per cent as many have quit looking for work and they are not counted in those actively seeking work. Same with jobs numbers, you simply can't make the math work when 8 million jobs are cut or lost then claim job creation with supposedly 800000 newly created jobs. Critical thinking should tell you the truth. Stop thinking in terms of politics and you just might be enlightened or not.
    People who say they are not looking for work are not considered part of the work force and are not considered unemployed. My wife would be an example, when we moved 5 years ago she originally intended to continue her career in medicine. But helping her mom take care of her dad that had alzheimer's and helping one of our daughters with her first child made her decide to not seek employment. Therefore, she is not unemployed. If you look at the "participation rate" in the workforce, that is the percentage of working age adults that are working, we are down slightly from pre-covid but within modern historical numbers.

4. Banned
    I saw it for $1.59 here in central NC........2 years ago......when they get it back within 50 cent of that we'll talk about how it has came down.

Like someone else said......we get a hurricane and it is going to go much higher than it is now and it's still through the roof.

Funny how hurricanes didn't affect the price of gas at all for 4 years(despite very active hurricane seasons in the gulf I might add) but did for the previous 16 years and did again last year. Makes one go hmmmm......

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    So we need higher inflation and less value for our dollar to be better off?
    It was said that gas is 2.00 higher then it was two years ago. Yes it's 2.00 higher. Yes we are better off. Two years ago the county was shut down. Deepest recession since the Great Depression. No vaccines, toilet paper. Using shipping containers as movable morgues. Ya, lets go back.

6. Member
    I am sorry but the whole country was not locked down. Just those area’s that choose poorly and apparently need big brother to tell them how to live life. Personally I think we could use another lock down for those that may need one but this time no benefits.

7. Member
    We never locked down. Went about my life like business as usual.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    We never locked down. Went about my life like business as usual.
    Petroleum is a world commodity. US wide open, we would have still seen a drop. Just not as deep.
    Even with the US open now, there are still economic impacts due to China's zero COVID policies.
    If China opens up, the prices will start moving upward. And this winter, definitely they're moving.
    Cold weather is going to be a major challenge with the EU war & logistical issues still haunting us.

9. Member
    Gas prices will drop fast to lower the CPI Index.COLA increases are tied to that number for 3023 SS increases.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    Gas prices will drop fast to lower the CPI Index.COLA increases are tied to that number for 3023 SS increases.
    CPI is intentionally set for the fall, it's the bottom of most economic shifts.
    Allows .gov to save money. Anyone on a CPI increase gets the short end.
    Not a conspiracy, it's the design. Plenty of number crunchers developed it.

It was said that gas is 2.00 higher then it was two years ago. Yes it's 2.00 higher. Yes we are better off. Two years ago the county was shut down. Deepest recession since the Great Depression. No vaccines, toilet paper. Using shipping containers as movable morgues. Ya, lets go back.
    This current recession sucks. I don't recall shipping containers being used at all but I recall a few areas had to call in some refrigerated trucks to use. Don't think it was extremely widespread.
    I think our state shutdown less than 2 weeks total. Now that the dust has settled we dared about as well or better than areas that shut down for long periods of time.

12. Member
    November.....

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    This current recession sucks. I don't recall shipping containers being used at all but I recall a few areas had to call in some refrigerated trucks to use. Don't think it was extremely widespread.
    I think our state shutdown less than 2 weeks total. Now that the dust has settled we dared about as well or better than areas that shut down for long periods of time.
    We didn't have shipping containers, but the morgues were beyond packed & we had multiple reefers in use.
    Florida was obviously more open, but it did come at a price. CA has nearly 2X the people, 20% more deaths.

Currently, everyone and everyone has COVID or had it in the past several weeks. We enjoyed it all of July.
    I hope it's the beginning of the "controlled" aspect. However, our economy is dependent on other countries.

The US is in a recession, officially denied. And, baring other nastiness, we will come out ahead of others too.
    However, we're in for a rough ride thru the winter. Energy, food, supply chain issues, job cuts & credit issues.

At this point, be happy were in a country with strong fundamentals. We won't be beaten as severely here.

14. Member
    Here we go.

15. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Here we go.
    got your "jim posted" notification eh????

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

16. Member
    Wow

17. Member
    4.01-4.19

18. Member
    We are better off now verses two years ago.
    If I told you what I really thought about you, I’d get banned. Lol

19. Member
    $3.13 Friday, $3.29 yesterday

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    People who say they are not looking for work are not considered part of the work force and are not considered unemployed. My wife would be an example, when we moved 5 years ago she originally intended to continue her career in medicine. But helping her mom take care of her dad that had alzheimer's and helping one of our daughters with her first child made her decide to not seek employment. Therefore, she is not unemployed. If you look at the "participation rate" in the workforce, that is the percentage of working age adults that are working, we are down slightly from pre-covid but within modern historical numbers.
    Another thing that gets overlooked is the amount of people that were of retirement age who were still working or just on the cusp of retiring when COVID hit. A significant number of them never went back to work, and never will, my wife being one.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast