Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Custom Rod Builder

Is it just me or is everyone a “custom” rod builder these days? Almost all of them use some type of Mudhole blank, usually some color of MHX 7’ MH, with Winn Grips. I guess with Facebook and Instagram it is just more noticeable…,,

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 618PRO View Post
    Is it just me or is everyone a “custom” rod builder these days? Almost all of them use some type of Mudhole blank, usually some color of MHX 7’ MH, with Winn Grips. I guess with Facebook and Instagram it is just more noticeable…,,
    Mudhole started teaching classes maybe 10 years ago, putting more new builders into the market.
    And they've capitalized on it with branding blanks, components, etc. They are more noticeable now.
    Paired with the removal of G Loomis, St Croix, etc. from the component business, yet even more.

Been building them for over 20 years now.

I started doing this about 8 years ago now when mudhole was starting its push for more mainstream rod building. You could call me one of those "custom" builders myself.

I am not in the business to make money building rods. I bought the kit and tools to make higher performance rods at a fraction of the price. I feel I have been successful at addressing my needs.

You are right about the frequency of folks posting custom stuff on social media. Most marketing campaigns rely heavily on a social media presence now and leverage the apps' algorithms to get you to see even more of those kinds of posts.

Those folks that built on Winn grips (myself included) are not going to like their rods very much after a couple of years of regular use. I cannot think of a less durable rod grip than Winn grips or similar knockoffs.

5. Member
    never liked Winn golf grips nor the fishing line of grips.. great marketing but not very good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Mudhole started teaching classes maybe 10 years ago, putting more new builders into the market.
    And they've capitalized on it with branding blanks, components, etc. They are more noticeable now.
    Paired with the removal of G Loomis, St Croix, etc. from the component business, yet even more.

This.

7. Member
    I never realized how common rod building was until I started doing it 3 years ago. i was shocked to hear about how many guys around here build rods. The “custom builders” are starting to become more common and I agree, they are using the same mudhole blanks and crb or microwave guides following charts. One guy that’s in my club uses strictly AT guides and blanks, then sells them for $100 profit. It’s great if you can make it work but the true custom builders are slowly getting overshadowed.

I’m in the same boat as dwtaylor. I started building because there was always something about factory rods that I didn’t care for. Whether it was the reel seat type, quality control, guides, or even just the placement of the hook keeper. I figured if I built my own rods I could get everything I want in a rod for the same price as a mid level factory rod off the shelf. The cost savings over a high end rod is a big bonus as well. Even the first couple rods I built are much better than some $100-$150 factory rods I’ve bought.

I only build for myself and family which I do for cost. It’s a hobby, and maybe in the future I’d sell to others but I don’t want it to become a full time job.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. Member
    Putting a rod together isn't that hard. Putting one together that's better than you can find on the shelf for less money is a little harder.

9. Member
    Everyone has to build to your audience and their price point to succeed in business. Hence the need to use cheaper components. Bling instead of boing.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Putting a rod together isn't that hard. Putting one together that's better than you can find on the shelf for less money is a little harder.
    I'd opine that "putting a rod together" ain't that easy, if done properly.
    And I'm proud to state I've never built one better for less, just never.
    We lack scale of economy to do it. But it's a great hobby & enjoyable.

11. Member
    Opine all you want...A St. Croix Legend Tournament 7'4" HF is $325 on Tackle Warehouse. A Rod Geeks B476HF is $118 retail (same blank at the LT) a set of 9 Alconite K Series guides (KW10, KW8, KB7, KB6, KT5.5 x 5) and an Alconite tip is $25.89, Alps MVT Toray and a hood is $30.35, hook keeper is $0.82, 10 cork rings is $10 and another let's call it $10 for thread, finish and Rod Bond. So I'm into it for $195 and maybe 2 hours of my time and just saved $130 over the factory rod. Not to mention I can make the handle any length I want, keep it at 7'6" or cut it down to 7' or whatever, build it spiral (which I also prefer), whatever. I don't even like the Toray seats I'd rather have an ECSM personally (and save another $25) but I'd take either over an SK. Mines going to be lighter, wrapped better (locked) and the guides will be straight (I've fixed enough Croix's to know that's not their strong suit). These are all retail component prices...wait for a sale and get them cheaper.

Have I saved money, absolutely not. I've got 40 rods in my basement and another dozen in the garage and 15 in my boat.

But I can proudly build a better rod than can be bought off the shelf for less money.

12. Member
    Opine all you want...A St. Croix Legend Tournament 7'4" HF is $325 on Tackle Warehouse. A Rod Geeks B476HF is $118 retail (same blank at the LT) a set of 9 Alconite K Series guides (KW10, KW8, KB7, KB6, KT5.5 x 5) and an Alconite tip is $25.89, Alps MVT Toray and a hood is $30.35, hook keeper is $0.82, 10 cork rings is $10 and another let's call it $10 for thread, finish and Rod Bond. So I'm into it for $195 and maybe 2 hours of my time and just saved $130 over the factory rod. Not to mention I can make the handle any length I want, keep it at 7'6" or cut it down to 7' or whatever, build it spiral (which I also prefer), whatever. I don't even like the Toray seats I'd rather have an ECSM personally (and save another $25) but I'd take either over an SK. Mines going to be lighter, wrapped better (locked) and the guides will be straight (I've fixed enough Croix's to know that's not their strong suit). These are all retail component prices...wait for a sale and get them cheaper.

Have I saved money, absolutely not. I've got 40 rods in my basement and another dozen in the garage and 15 in my boat.

But I can proudly build a better rod than can be bought off the shelf for less money.
    You valued your time at zero - ordering, receiving, building, finishing.
    Either it's a hobby OR it's a business. The latter, it's more expensive.

And if you're buying at wholesale, excise tax is due. Otherwise retail.
    Of course, that's another story altogether. Either way, enjoy building.

13. Member
    Didn't think this post was about selling just building. I was just pointing out that you can in fact build yourself a rod with components bought at retail price that will cost less and is specifically tailored to what you want for less money than buying an off the shelf rod at retail.

I also get a kick out of the fact that on Rodbuilding.org or the The Custom Rod Builders Guild probably the number one thing that gets referenced regarding whether or not you are a true rod builder is whether or not you pay an excise tax...also whether or not you can weave someone's dog's face with thread or how well you can do a dragon scale. I'm not saying that those things aren't cool and take skill and patience but they help you catch 0 more fish...just not my thing, would rather fish.

14. Member
    You'll never see a production rod using the KR system, just the KR guides. Reason: They have to build for any reel and line you put on it, jack of all trades, master of none. You however can build to a specific set up and presentation. Do yourself a favor, take your lightest powered casting rod, put a spinning reel on it and go test cast it, low, small guides, worst case scenario. Now what do you think about guide size? How big a guide set does your vertical presentation spinning rod need now? Balance, weight loss, sensitivity? Only a custom rod goes there.

Had to learn how to build one myself since I really didn’t want to pay a couple thousand for good one. Plus I’m not a mudhole fan never bought anything from there yet.

I also get a kick out of the fact that on Rodbuilding.org or the The Custom Rod Builders Guild probably the number one thing that gets referenced regarding whether or not you are a true rod builder is whether or not you pay an excise tax...
    That doesn't make you a rod builder. That makes you either in compliance or an evader.

Doesn't matter if you have a business or not. You build a rod and sell it, you are liable for excise tax.

17. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by 618PRO View Post
    I've been seeing an explosion of rod assemblers on social media. there's a lot more to being a custom builder than putting some parts together.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    That doesn't make you a rod builder. That makes you either in compliance or an evader.

Doesn't matter if you have a business or not. You build a rod and sell it, you are liable for excise tax.
    I'd bet that the vast majority of guys who talk about excise tax have more than a few other items on their returns that would make them an evader...state sales tax for online purchases??? Anyone? They already get enough of my f'ing money.

Anyway, build a rod...catch a fish on it...now it's used...build rods, give some to Take a Vet Fishing, a tournament benefiting the Gary Sinise foundation, some kid at the pond or some guy who just lost everything in a fire...you'll sleep just fine.

19. Member
    I'd bet that the vast majority of guys who talk about excise tax have more than a few other items on their returns that would make them an evader...state sales tax for online purchases??? Anyone? They already get enough of my f'ing money.

Anyway, build a rod...catch a fish on it...now it's used...build rods, give some to Take a Vet Fishing, a tournament benefiting the Gary Sinise foundation, some kid at the pond or some guy who just lost everything in a fire...you'll sleep just fine.
    Here, here! I couldn't agree more! We need a few more people to do exactly this...I have built probably 200 rods and have yet to sell one- to me it would be like selling one of your pets.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

20. Member
    I been building rods since the 1980’s.
    Use to work at a tackle store that built rods for Tuna boat
    Captains in the 1980’s.
    That is as far as I ever got into building rods for someone else.

I do it as a hobby now once in a blue moon, when I cannot find a rod action I want.
    Really want a unique one and use a mudhole MHX with every Winn grip along with cork grip you can find.
    I got everything built I need now and the blank mfg jump from old Allstar blanks, Rainshadow, one or two MHX, and fisher blanks.
    I also have a friend that guides if he supplies the materials I will build him a rod or two for free.

I guess if everyone else is a super duper captain rod builder I can be one also. Lol!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast