Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    I've been seeing an explosion of rod assemblers on social media. there's a lot more to being a custom builder than putting some parts together.

Nailed it. Big difference in custom builds and rod assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Nailed it. Big difference in custom builds and rod assembly.
    Apart from BBC and a few custom tackle sights, I don’t do social media but would like to discuss this a bit more. What is the difference in a “custom build” and “rod assembly”? Fancy wraps? Trim bands? Custom made handle with cork rings and lathe turned in your own shop? Abalone inlays? Static tested? Fish tested a few seasons with a pro? School me what makes the difference, please.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    Apart from BBC and a few custom tackle sights, I don’t do social media but would like to discuss this a bit more. What is the difference in a “custom build” and “rod assembly”? Fancy wraps? Trim bands? Custom made handle with cork rings and lathe turned in your own shop? Abalone inlays? Static tested? Fish tested a few seasons with a pro? School me what makes the difference, please.
    I think that depends on who you ask. To me rod assembly is getting some pre-made grips, a seat, some guides and putting it all together...like the kits you can buy from Mudhole or Get Bit. Custom can certainly mean chevrons, dragon scales, custom handles and the like but I think it means more the experience of the builder in listening to the person you're building the rod for and building what they want even though they might not know exactly how to explain it.

Just an example but I don't use a lathe when I shape cork and I don't typically use pre-made grips unless it's carbon or EVA. I glue up rings and clamp them together and then shape them by hand using files and sanding blocks. If someone wants a fatter handle because they have big hands it's easy for me to do this way. I also ream each ring so that it's a perfect fit exactly where I want it to go. Same with handle length. Some people like a really short handle on a pitching rod, some like it longer. Some want 5 or 6 rings for a grip some like a little nub with 3.

With experience comes some different tricks and techniques as well. I think Fuji ECSMs are the most comfortable seat. They're also available in a lot of different IDs. I buy them small and them ream them to fit perfectly. I trim the threads so the nut comes flush to the seat with a reel on it. I like the way that epoxy ramps look so I let it set up a little and get thicker before applying it so the ramp forms easier. I used to always use a locking and blocking wrap but the blocking wrap doesn't look great on K series (there's a gap) so I just use a lock and no block...they don't come out either way. There's a lot of little stuff like that.

I also have a blank problem. I don't know how many different blanks I've built over the years but I'm sure it's well into the hundreds. Sometimes I build a blank for myself and it's not exactly what I had in mind (or perfect in my mind) for a particular technique but I figure out what it's good for. I like all of them but I only fish the ones I love. I don't know how many friends and friends of friends have a rod that I built, didn't love and then sold it to them for what it cost me. I'm pretty sure that everyone in my club has at least one rod I built. Point is, I've handled a lot of blanks and if someone explains to me what they're looking for I can usually figure it out from there.

So I do that (and more) but probably 90% of my builds just have straight black thread so maybe they don't look custom but I'm pretty sure they are.

4. Member
    I too don’t use social media other than BBC and other rod building forums. Admittedly, I don’t have nearly as much experience as most on here, as I have only built 3 ice fishing rods, 1 fly rod, and 8 conventional rods. But that will also give a different perspective than what’s been stated above, albeit similar as well.

imo, rod assembly is purchasing a guide kit, handle kit, and simply following the guide spacing charts without changing anything. Basically like following the directions on a Lego set to make it look like the picture.

Custom building is whatever you make it to be. For me, it’s setting guide spacing a based on size of reel, static testing, followed by test casting in my yard. Tweaking as necessary. Selecting individual guides based on the concept/style used to minimize but also adding and/or removing guides based on the blanks properties. I buy premade handles but will do as willwork4fish says, reaming reel seats as needed. I don’t do any fancy thread wraps other than some trim and basic inlays. But I don’t have an artistic mindset, rather a more technical mindset so I build for function rather than looks.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Thanks guys for responding to my question. When I first started building rods for sure I just put the components together. That’s probably how all of us started with the basics. With each build and through multiple builds I guess a builder adds things and builds a skill set that only experience and good outcomes and mistakes can teach. All of it and others opinions beg the question what’s the difference from novice to custom builder. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

6. Member
    I have built about at least 30 since I started in 2010. I took a local rod building class and from there started out with basic Mudhole Kits. From there I started ordering my own components based on what I wanted. Then I branched out to St.Crox and North Fork. I just tried out a new North Fork crank-bait rod I just built. Awesome. I love the hobby.

7. Goby King
    All of it and others opinions beg the question what’s the difference from novice to custom builder. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    To me, a custom builder gives the customer exactly what they want, while guiding them away from making poor decisions. It's not about fancy thread and cork, but that can be part of it too. I don't do thread work, but specialize in cork grips.

I do my share of assembly work too because not everyone wants what I offer. The carbon grips AmTak has is a nice way to knock out a really quick build. NFC's carbon grips are nice too, but the EVA end caps are crap, so I turn acrylic checks to finish them off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12