Oil on driveshaft

A few weeks ago I took my motor to the mechanic because there was always oil residue in the lower cowl. They determined it was a leaky oil pump. The replaced it. Ran the motor and found what I thought was gearcase lube on the lower unit. Dropped the lower and there was oil all over the driveshaft and top of the water pump housing. Replaced the input shaft seals anyway. Ran it again and again oil all over the driveshaft and water pump housing. I read a few things that said priming can cause that driveshaft seal to leak. Is that correct? Do I have to lift the power head to replace this driveshaft seal? serial# 1B868025
    Last edited by mchnhd4; 08-07-2022 at 08:31 PM.

2. Member
    Lower crankcase seal, yes you have to pull power head. I was uncomfortable replacing just the seals so I ordered the seal and carrier plate as an assembly. You will need power head gasket as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    Lower crankcase seal, yes you have to pull power head. I was uncomfortable replacing just the seals so I ordered the seal and carrier plate as an assembly. You will need power head gasket as well.
    And while you're in that far, might as well do the adapter plate gasket as well...

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

4. Member
    Jtreed I think I came across your old post and that prompted my question haha. How did your process go? Were you able to do it by yourself? Any pointers? And how many hours did it take?

Will need a torque wrench adapter. Also a lot patience scraping the gasket off with non-metallic tools.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

6. Member
    The end cap assembly, does that contain the seal that’s blown? I guess what I’m asking is, is that all I’m replacing while I have the power head up? Obviously gaskets etc for reassembly.

7. Member
    If you can get seal plate, yes comes with seals, way I did mine
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

8. Member
    A torque adaptor is a extension for a torque wrench which u will need for powerhead bolts. I got my set off of a Mac truck
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mchnhd4 View Post
    Jtreed I think I came across your old post and that prompted my question haha. How did your process go? Were you able to do it by yourself? Any pointers? And how many hours did it take?
    I went slow because I was learning as I went. I was able to complete it in one day, I would guess around 4 hours of actual working time including gasket removal, mine wasn’t as bad as some. I had an old mechanic friend with me for help, but it is possible to do it solo. You definitely need a service manual for the correct torque sequence, a couple of editions had it wrong. I was able to get enough clearance to swap out the end cap assembly while the head was on the picker and most of the hoses and cables were still attached. I think the thermostat hoses were the only ones I had to remove. It’s intimidating to pull the power head, but all said and done it’s pretty straightforward and not difficult.

I took 3 1/2 days to do mine. Scraping off the gasket was the most time consuming for me. Here is a post from when I pulled my powerhead to replace the lower crankshaft seal. Pics are missing due to a change in my pic hosting.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ight=Powerhead

11. Member
    gotta come off , those are bad aint they BOB
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    gotta come off , those are bad aint they BOB
    Yes they are. I hope if I ever do it again the newer gasket comes off easier!

I still appreciate the help and support from you, Don, and everyone else on the Merc forum.

13. Member
    your most welcome sir , and they do you can almost wipe um clean with brake cleaner , ps;;; i hate um too
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yup... nothing worse than fiber-reinforced concrete gaskets.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor