Really struggling with a New Ranger

So I'm on season 5 with my 521 and had always anticipated ordering a fresh one at the end of this season. But I have to say that after crawling around on a 520R at my dealer for 2 hours this week, I am really struggling to like it. I feel like I have much less room, I hate hate hate the new dash. probably because I only intend to have 1 12' at console, I get the reason behind that big flat area, but I still hate it.

All of this coupled with having to add every little item individually, instead of a nice complete cup package. And the topper...$1k to pick my colors??? Seriously Ranger???? I just don't feel any excitement at all about dropping 6 figures on this boat. Thinking maybe I just hang a fresh outboard on her and kick the can down the road a few more seasons. Anybody else in the same boat?...No pun intended
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    So I'm on season 5 with my 521 and had always anticipated ordering a fresh one at the end of this season. But I have to say that after crawling around on a 520R at my dealer for 2 hours this week, I am really struggling to like it. I feel like I have much less room, I hate hate hate the new dash. probably because I only intend to have 1 12' at console, I get the reason behind that big flat area, but I still hate it.

All of this coupled with having to add every little item individually, instead of a nice complete cup package. And the topper...$1k to pick my colors??? Seriously Ranger???? I just don't feel any excitement at all about dropping 6 figures on this boat. Thinking maybe I just hang a fresh outboard on her and kick the can down the road a few more seasons. Anybody else in the same boat?...No pun intended
    ummmm...they offer a complete 520R cup package if thats what you want. As far as the colors, they chose to do it this way so people that wanted packaged colors dont have to pay extra. Not understanding the big deal

3. Member
    It's not as complete as it has been for many years, and the color thing to me is just one more step towards calling it a Nitro. All of this after they announce the highest price increase in the industry. Anyway, was just wondering if some others have put the brakes on their ordering like I have?
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    It's not as complete as it has been for many years, and the color thing to me is just one more step towards calling it a Nitro. All of this after they announce the highest price increase in the industry. Anyway, was just wondering if some others have put the brakes on their ordering like I have?
    Its a complete as it can be especially after you said they dont offer a complete package when the actually do. Boat, motor, graphs, trolling motor, lithiums, trailer. Nitro??? I dont get the reference at all.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Yeah, the dash was designed for two 12" units. I have one large unit at the console and I like it, it fits the area perfectly.

Yes, there will be a difference in storage between the Z520R and a 521 series boat, but I wouldn't call it "much less". The center compartment of my Z520R is noticeably deeper than my previous 2018 Z520L or 2009 Z520. I can fit quite a bit more tackle in the center than I could in those two previous rigs I owned.

I'm happy with my Z520R so far and I have had some minor cosmetic type issues, but nothing major. I'll be keeping my current truck and boat for 10+ years before I even think about upgrading either one.

Don't wait too long to upgrade, the price is just going to continue to rise... I'm sure 10 years from now the base price will probably be $125k+

Good luck in your decision.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

6. Member
    I hate to hear this .

7. Member
    I am with you mick. Not to excited about the 520R. 1st and foremost it wont fit in my garage.2nd I a, also scared of the control panel for this boat. Cant imagine how much the replacement cost would be!!. And the price scares me the most. A lot of money just to catch a little green fish. I just keep my 520L and hang a new Merc on the back when the time arises

8. Member
    Just Stay with your existing boats.

For me six figures seems to have crossed an economic psychological barrier for me on a bass boat. I adjusted from 20k to 50k to 75k. I’m having a real issue with 100k. At some point your “what the f am I doing?” kicks in.

10. Member
    I love my 520R… Yeah the console is a bit polarizing in design but I slapped a Precision Sonar mount on for my one (1) HDS Live 12” and it looks awesome. And Yeah I’m definitely glad I ordered a 22 model versus a 23… The bump is steep on an already expensive boat (my Cup R was not 6 figures out the door even in Cali). But finally … remember it’s a Ranger and it doesn’t deprecate like any other rig.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

11. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    For me six figures seems to have crossed an economic psychological barrier for me on a bass boat. I adjusted from 20k to 50k to 75k. I’m having a real issue with 100k. At some point your “what the f am I doing?” kicks in.
    Totally agree with Dean. Started this nonsense in 1979 and 13 boats later your looking at $75-100K for a new one. I can't justify that for a toy.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Totally agree with Dean. Started this nonsense in 1979 and 13 boats later your looking at $75-100K for a new one. I can't justify that for a toy.
    I am in the same boat as Mike and Dean (pun). When I bought my 2018 520L I checked every box on the build sheet and it crossed $90K out the door. Writing that check for a toy, a toy I really wanted had a phycological impact on me. For months I had buyers remorse mixed in with that “new boat excitement”. Fast forward 4 years later and I can still afford to write that check but still remember the buyers remorse.

The boat I have will catch fish (or not) as well as any and there are a lot of things my wife and I can do with the $115-$120K that it would take to build another.

A repower would be a great idea but you better order one now. All of the 200+ HP Mercury ProXS motors orders are 53 weeks out...yup a little over a year.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

14. Member
    The boat and motor you have easily has another 10years or more in it if taken care of, I would keep running it If you like it.

15. Member
    I also wanted a 'new' boat.................happens every year for about 5 minutes. The '15 Ranger is works better every year and will be around for another 15 years or longer.

I think you answered your own question about it with all the dislikes and “hate” you mentioned.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    A repower would be a great idea but you better order one now. All of the 200+ HP Mercury ProXS motors orders are 53 weeks out...yup a little over a year.
    That is true ordered one last march came in this march my boat is a totally different boat with the 4s

A189E3FF-BD4B-42F1-A34B-D73FD89E9DE7.jpeg
    2017 521c 2022 Mercury ProXS 250 4S

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    And Dean, it seems like it happened sooooo fast. My dealer gave me a little help on the last one, but it retailed for $74k with a radio and Atlas Hyd plate. I'm coming in at around $112 on a new 521...4 1/2 years later!! That is a 44% price increase in 4 model years. It's going faster than my mental price justifier can keep up. Yes, I know about the lead time on the motors. Luckily my dealer has had 15 on back order for over a year now, so they are starting to come in.

And I'm not poking at any of you guys that have ordered one. I'm genuinely happy for you, and hope you love love love it! I'm just wondering out loud if it's just me or are a lot of guys struggling to justify a new one?

19. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Enough. Nothing good will come from beating this one further. Apples, oranges, and all kinds of generalities being tossed around. We all pay for our own boats, so we each must decide what’s right for us and when. Best to leave it at that.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio