2006 Optimax 150hp Idles rough and dies in gear

I have a 2006 optimax 150 SN 1B274973 and I noticed it idle in rough and it progressively got worse through out the day. Now it revs high when you start it and then dies. Won’t idle. If I do get it in gear before it dies it runs great at mid throttle to WOT. Lower RPMs in gear you can definitely feel it stumble. I do notice when looking in the intake it is dirty. No alarms at any time. Possible fuel Issue?? Please help I have a tournament this up coming weekend. Thanks
    Last edited by mattorschell; 08-07-2022 at 12:35 PM.

2. Member
    Could it be a bad tracker valve? How do you test the tracker valve?

3. Member
    it sure could be ,and its the easiest to replace , is there fuel in air side of system , does fuel leak from direct injector bores in rail when rail is pulled away from head stbd side with inj left in head , or just replace /inspect tracker valve on stb rail they are the most common to fail , bad news is as of last friday MERC had 0 in stock good luck
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Tracker valve is cracked. Fuel also came out when I removed it. Not sure if that’s normal.

5. Member
    normal , hope you win tourny
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Replace tracker valve and see how it does (note- you may end up replacing the plugs as well, depending on how badly they were fouled up).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Tracker valve fixed it. Thanks

8. Member

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattorschell View Post
    I have a 2006 optimax 150 SN 1B274973 and I noticed it idle in rough and it progressively got worse through out the day. Now it revs high when you start it and then dies. Won’t idle. If I do get it in gear before it dies it runs great at mid throttle to WOT. Lower RPMs in gear you can definitely feel it stumble. I do notice when looking in the intake it is dirty. No alarms at any time. Possible fuel Issue?? Please help I have a tournament this up coming weekend. Thanks
    I was having the same issue. Changed plugs, replaced the impeller and housing and no change. I put about 2 oz of Sea Foam in the gas and ran it for about 15 minutes. That’s when the rough idle was actually a little worse. Ran it at idle speed for another 15 to 20 minutes and started running like a charm. Might be something to try. ����*♂️

10. Member
    SEA FOAM is good , but not good enough to repair a tracker valve

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor