Massabesic fishing a little tough Saturday

I heard there was a decent morning bite, but missed that as I rolled in at 11:00. Hardly any dollar pads, there was a good fringe of submerged "tape-type" grass, IDK what this is called but it's poor cover.

I figured I'd find them deep and spent most of the time throwing a 6XD (18-19' max) and a Damiki DC300 (14' max). I had an absolute locomotive of a fish on the XD but the hook popped out under the boat. Then I broke that bait off on a fish (check leaders dammit!) Other than that, the crankbait bite was nonexistent.

I caught fish on the only two patches of milfoil that I located - they were packed into the grass pretty good. Got a pair of 3+ on back to back casts and another 8-9 up to 2.5#. A couple smaller ones on a brushhog with the glide wings pulled off, and all the good ones on a 9" BPB worm, T-rigged. I checked a couple of other spots that generally have milfoil (park), but nada. If it wasn't so doggone hot, I would have spent more time looking as I'm sure there's more out there.

Didn't make it under the bridge btw. Lake's a couple of feet down. Water temp high was 85

2. Moderator
    Sounds like a pretty good day.

Sounds like a pretty good day to me also
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

4. Member
    Sounds like a good day. I was shocked when I drove by this am it seems to be dropping fast now.

5. Member
    So just an update for you guys. At this point the Auburn launch can still launch single axle trailers, aluminum boats etc but that is about it. Left side of launch is closed and within a few days I bet they close it to boats period. Dumped the yak in on Sunday for some crappie and there is maybe 2 ft of water at most left in front of launch going out. Figured I would save you guys some frustration.....

6. Member
    Appreciate the update!

7. Member
    Eric,Massaseecum fished tough Saturday.
    Red Sox in 6!

8. Member
    I was at Clement Phil, and it wasn't easy either. Pondweed has receded already!? Low and clear, ramp road is more washed out than ordinary..

Pierce on Sunday (just for two hours - OB had acted up Saturday due to loose spark plug wires and needed to run it) - got two and dropped three at the boat. Not finding them where I expected. FP is close to 2' down and clear.

9. Member
    Was on Clement two weeks ago and the ramp was bad. Clement was interesting because we did real well in bay right in front of ramp.and too the left of the ramp out At 10ft ish.
    Red Sox in 6!

10. Member
    There was some pretty decent scattered pondweed/cabbage there earlier this season. IDK if it's died back yet or not?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Eric,Massaseecum fished tough Saturday.
    I remember both Tim and Mac spoke very highly of that lake for many years, and I just realized I still haven't fished that place once yet. I'll have to put it on my list for next year for new places to try out.

12. Member
    Sean,I wouldn’t bother. The Lake used to be really good kicking out tons of 2lbers with an occasional 4 or 5. To me a classic numbers lake. It gets way more pressure than it did when I fished it regularly with Mac.
    Red Sox in 6!

13. Member
    Massasecum's small (and fishes even smaller IMO). Haven't scored any big ones this year, but it turned out two 5#s for me last season.

The trick is to go there when it's windy

Anthrax

15. Member
    Ha ha
    Red Sox in 6!

16. Member
    Aw man that's unfortunate but not surprising to hear. Lot of places I used to love 10-15 years ago are just awful to fish now.

It's been a few years since I've been there.
    It's always so windy and seems like it's gotten pretty busy.
    Anthrax

18. Member
    I got there Sunday around 11:00 - looked to be a club on the water already. It was one of those "bring your own rockpile" days.