Thread: Gas additives

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I use stabil but I sometimes wonder if it is all snake oil.

Read the label and the MSDS to see what ingredients are in them. Might surprise you.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    Stabil has a shelf life
    Everything has a shelf life except McDonald's hamburgers and fries.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    SDS is an ingredients list and fails to explain chemical reactions. i love when that thread gets brought up and used as proof to why it doesn’t work. I’ve asked directly and all the OP of that thread has said was he’s a mechanical engineer and reads all SDS, so that’s why We should listen to him..

Example: why do we bother using toothpaste? The active ingredient in Crest toothpaste accounts for 0.243% of the overall makeup. it’s such a small amount, the rest is additives and flavorings. since I’m a civil engineer and read the ingredients, everyone is wasting their money with toothpaste. It’s straight snake oil pushed by dentists. Or would you rather take advice from a dentist?

best advice In that thread is to form your own opinions based on personal experience. All I can say is my boats run much better with the treatment than without. my mechanic who isn’t affiliated with any company suggests to use it as the he uses it in all of his own outboards, and i never had any fuel related issues. I use stabil in my lawnmower and snowblower whenever I put them up for the season. They start and run great after sometimes 5 months of sitting. Without it I’d spend up to an hour just trying to get it to stay on.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 08-07-2022 at 10:34 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    I use Startron in my lawn mower (22 years old) and snowblower (15 years old), Don's cocktail in my Optimax (10 years old), no problems ! All on 87 octane with 10% ethanol.
    Last edited by FrancoCialone; 08-08-2022 at 10:58 AM.

5. Member
    The distillate is fuel, primary ingredient, solvent/carrier for the remainder of the product. It's just gasoline in this case.
    The proprietary additives include specific phenols that restrain sediment formation and cause resistance to oxidation.
    The remaining ingredients are there to provide a barrier to entering the fuel while sitting, they form a protective film.

It's not perfect, it's not a repair, it's not a substitute for good practices. Keep tanks/jugs full, buy good fuel, use filters.
    More than anything, use fuel within a time frame suited for your storage/exposure conditions. Recommend < one year.

6. Member
    I’ve been using Stabil 360 on my 1997 Merc 150 EFI for more than 20 years. Got almost 900 hours on the engine and it seems to be doing fine.

7. Member
    In my small engine 2 strokes i run VP premixed fuels...in my boat and sleds i put stabil in and havnt had any issues

Snake oil not i dunno but i havnt had any issues since i stsrted using it

My boat however has never had ethanol in it
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

8. Will work for baits. Fish.Team.Rose's Avatar
    Startron improved my 89 merc 150’s starts dramaticly. Took a while.
    Keith Rose

In search of what was lost.

9. Member
    Recent tune up tech told me to use Quikcleen and to only put in the fuel I plan to use that day and run as close to empty as possible then fill with fresh gas every trip. I use seafoam also and have seen it make a difference in mowers for sure. I also like the Lucas oil treatment, put in my work rig and got better mileage right off the bat and I fill it up 3x a week so I know what it will get on a 36 gallon tank.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I use nothing in my fuel and have the same results in my yard tools. Boat doesn’t sit long enough to be a concern.

I'm pretty sure good two stroke oils already have fuel stabilizers. I have a straight shaft Homelitetrimmer I purchased at least 30 years ago. I have never done anything with it but at the beginning of the season dump the old fuel out and install new premix. Always used Homelite oil till last year because I couldn't locate any. Never had a problem with it. When cold it always starts on the third pull half choke. Warm it just starts. I'm pretty sure it still have the same spark plug it came with. I guess I should maybe look at it. That said the Champ gets Shell Premium with Marine Stabil the Ranger gets regular Shell and Marine Stabil. Both get emptied a the end of the season and it gets dumped in the cage as needed. I have never had a fuel related failure ever.

Abused carbs Seafoam seems to clean them if you can make them run and do run and sit a few days and run and sit a few days and repeat so may take some work or take them apart and clean them.

Friend dropped off a cub cadet push mower the was pretty new model and used a little but sat a few years. It would start on starting fluid but wouldn't run without. Pulled the carb it didn't look bad but had a piece of garbage in the main jet. Once removed it ran great.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    I'm pretty sure good two stroke oils already have fuel stabilizers.
    No sir, fuel stabilizers are not part of the additive package.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    No sir, fuel stabilizers are not part of the additive package.
    Google it Jim

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Google it Jim
    Google Jims things when they ain’t got no data on it.

15. Member
    I’ve used quick kleen and stabil in my gas since new (2001), and the recommended Opti Oil only. May not have helped, but at this point, it hasn’t seemed to hurt it.

To be objective, I do wonder what the internal part of the engine looks like as far as carbon is concerned. My prop stays filthy black, and Opti Oil is supposed to run cleaner.

16. Member
    Use Stabil in season at half strength and go full strength for storage.

17. Member
    We have a lot of small gas engines on the farm water pumps,chemical pumps,3 garden tillers,3 riding lawn mowers and others.They sit over the winter somtimes they get fuel additives...sometimes not...Have never seen a difference come spring they all start,and run fine,all running on E10.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Google Jims things when they ain’t got no data on it.
    Jim doesn't have to Google it. I'm pretty sure about the composition of a standard two-stroke lubricant.

19. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron H 520 View Post
    I’ve used quick kleen and stabil in my gas since new (2001), and the recommended Opti Oil only. May not have helped, but at this point, it hasn’t seemed to hurt it.

To be objective, I do wonder what the internal part of the engine looks like as far as carbon is concerned. My prop stays filthy black, and Opti Oil is supposed to run cleaner.
    Opti oil is some nasty stuff. At least the crap on your prop isn't staying in your engine so that's something. It might be worth taking a borescope and looking down the plug holes...or that might open Pandora's box, lol.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

20. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    My 03 Evinrude 250 DFI has never failed me running Startron at every fill up.....sit 6 months....she will fire right up....all my lawn equipment fires right up in the spring.....this is with 87 octane with up to 10% ethanol......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast